Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans, there is a fix !

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 07:45 AM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

[QUOTE=StevenL808;16794536]After the first round of "Drain, fill and ride for 1000 miles", I checked the dipstick after 250 miles and there was no fluid on it! I took the bike back to my dealer. They will call the motor company again to see what's next. Since they don't know what's going on, I think they are just having me bring it in to adjust the fluid levels. If that'a all they got, I can do that in less than an hour and not to keep dropping my bike off at the dealer.

So, if I understand you correctly, you spent $25k on a new bike, can't ride for more than 250 miles, and want to add/remove oil all by yourself? I bought a touring bike to RIDE and TOUR! Not a 250 mile bar to bar ride either. Are you going to pull a trailer with your bike to keep all the extra oil and shop supplies when you go out for a ride? Also you may want to note the TA0022 that documents this issue and your dealer seems to be following the directions given by the MOCO. It is not acceptable but its what we have for the moment.

I see your a new member, congrats on your new bike. As for solving an issue, you may want to read more before you are positive about solving an issue. There are at least 4 different threads on this issues with pages in the hundreds. This issue has NOT BEEN SOLVED by any of us or the MOCO as of today. Many ideas, no long term solution yet. We are here to help each other, just try not to shoot yourself in the process.....

Eagle Out

Old 11-07-2017, 09:08 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,480 Likes on 761 Posts

I agree with not dropping it off at the dealer till there is a fix. I have plenty of time before the warranty runs out to take it in and have the problem documented and fixed when the time comes. In the meantime Im riding and doing whatever maintenance is needed to keep me on the road. Good Times

Old 11-08-2017, 03:18 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 865 Posts

I never understood why the Big Twins aren't more like the Sportsters in that the primary and trans share the same pool of fluid. I know the trans is integrated in the case on the Sporty, I just think it's an obvious design enhancement to the big twins. Two holes to change fluid in rather than three. Then it can transfer all its wants, it'll just flow back into the trans eventually.

I have to wonder if the crankcase partially venting into the trans has something to do with this oil migration. (No, I haven't read all 25 pages of this thread, but I did decide to buy an older bagger rather than a new 2017 because of it).

Old 11-08-2017, 05:32 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,954 Likes on 4,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
I never understood why the Big Twins aren't more like the Sportsters in that the primary and trans share the same pool of fluid. I know the trans is integrated in the case on the Sporty, I just think it's an obvious design enhancement to the big twins. Two holes to change fluid in rather than three. Then it can transfer all its wants, it'll just flow back into the trans eventually.

I have to wonder if the crankcase partially venting into the trans has something to do with this oil migration. (No, I haven't read all 25 pages of this thread, but I did decide to buy an older bagger rather than a new 2017 because of it).

Because on a big twinm the output sprocket is between the tranny and primary.

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (11-08-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 06:42 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

I don't believe the crankcase vents into the tranny, unless they changed something with the M8's. AFAIK, the crankcase vents only into the air filter box. That's why some bikes puke oil out of the air cleaner when ridden hard.

The H-D integrated engine-tranny design already exists in a suitable, trouble-free, liquid-cooled power plant - AKA the V-rod. And although I'd never buy one, this engine/tranny would work great in the tourers, IMO.

What previous model did you buy?

Last edited by jpooch00; 11-09-2017 at 06:45 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:05 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Because on a big twinm the output sprocket is between the tranny and primary.
Well, yea, I know this. My point was changing the overall system design for the better.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:07 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jpooch00
I don't believe the crankcase vents into the tranny, unless they changed something with the M8's. AFAIK, the crankcase vents only into the air filter box. That's why some bikes puke oil out of the air cleaner when ridden hard.

The H-D integrated engine-tranny design already exists in a suitable, trouble-free, liquid-cooled power plant - AKA the V-rod. And although I'd never buy one, this engine/tranny would work great in the tourers, IMO.

What previous model did you buy?
It vents into both. There's an output on the backside of the motor by the oil pump that vents the camchest area into the trans. The head vents are more for the crankcase area, which has a lot more variation in pressure on account of the pistons up and down.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:39 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

It vents into both. There's an output on the backside of the motor by the oil pump that vents the camchest area into the trans. The head vents are more for the crankcase area, which has a lot more variation in pressure on account of the pistons up and down.
Nothing vents into the actual trans; however, Yes, there is a port that runs through the trans body that connects the crankcase to the oil pan, and it is there to equalize air pressure between the two cavities so oil can flow uninhibited in both directions through their designated feed and return ports.

Additionally it extends the crankcase by total volume which is why when you overfill the oil pan you now have less crankcase volume and get more oil vented through the breathers (in the heads).

Last edited by lp; 11-09-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:15 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Well, if that's true, then I learned something new today.

Makes absolutely no sense at all, but that's the MoCo's way, I guess.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:17 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,954 Likes on 4,032 Posts

It doesn't vent the cam chest into the tranny. The passage on the back side of the motor vents to the oil reservoir. Head breathers are for the cam chest just like TCs, They vent though the pushrod tubes and drain-backs return to the cam case. Evos used to have drain-backs into the crank case that kinda sorta vented to the heads but they mostly vent through the pushrod tubes.

Nothing vents into the actual trans; however, Yes, there is a port that runs through the trans body that connects the crankcase to the oil pan, and it is there to equalize air pressure between the two cavities so oil can flow uninhibited in both directions through their designated feed and return ports.
The primary vents to the tranny. That's the problem.

Quick Reply: Trans, there is a fix !