Sponsored by:

Trans, there is a fix !

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 08:15 AM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by purpledeuce
Since the MOCO has changed the specs and now says migration is normal I think that voids any chance of a lemon law claim.
WHOAA THERE BOYS!!! I am confused about some recent comments in these forums......nothing new there......

First off let me say I AM **** AND NEED PROOF! The MOCO put out the TA0022 and where did it list specs or mention specs that were changed? Here is what it says....

HD has confirmed SOME vehicles show HIGHER amounts of transfer than EXPECTED. While SOME oil transfer CAN occur, instances where 5oz or more have transfered in less than 5k miles SHOULD be reviewed per the direction.

It also stated to have fluids checked every 1k miles and adjusted. Yes I agree is sounds like anything under 1oz per 1k (5oz per 5k) is normal, but it could be more clearly worded. I DO NOT FEEL OIL OFF THE STICK IN 5k MILES IS NORMAL! MY PERSONAL FLHXS LOST 5 ounces in less than 700 miles, NOT NORMAL!

IMHO TA0022, does not say that any specific amount is considered normal or has been changed. Yes SOME can occur, may or may not occur, and each bike can be different. Have the owners manuals and or shop manuals language been changed? Has a new TA or TSB been released? What is reality is not clear at this point. WE MAY ALL AGREE that NO TRANSFER SHOULD HAPPEN, SOME MAY but WHAT IS NORMAL is not clear or defined by any of us or the MOCO at this point. If there is a document that states any changes, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE IT! Point is, lets not read anything into this situation that may not be FACT! Kinda one big reason you need to take things with a grain of salt when you read in the forums. Things can get twisted and blown out of whack. YES WE HAVE A PROBLEM, no doubt but lets not ASSUME things that may not be correct.....

Only thing I assume is ...the MOCO is not saying anything to make us feel confident they will address this and stand by their product.........HOPE THIS AINT FACT!!!!

Eagle Out

Last edited by 103Eagle; 11-02-2017 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:12 AM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,192 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by 103Eagle
WHOAA THERE BOYS!!! I am confused about some recent comments in these forums......nothing new there......

First off let me say I AM **** AND NEED PROOF! The MOCO put out the TA0022 and where did it list specs or mention specs that were changed? Here is what it says....

HD has confirmed SOME vehicles show HIGHER amounts of transfer than EXPECTED. While SOME oil transfer CAN occur, instances where 5oz or more have transfered in less than 5k miles SHOULD be reviewed per the direction.

It also stated to have fluids checked every 1k miles and adjusted. Yes I agree is sounds like anything under 1oz per 1k (5oz per 5k) is normal, but it could be more clearly worded. I DO NOT FEEL OIL OFF THE STICK IN 5k MILES IS NORMAL! MY PERSONAL FLHXS LOST 5 ounces in less than 700 miles, NOT NORMAL!

IMHO TA0022, does not say that any specific amount is considered normal or has been changed. Yes SOME can occur, may or may not occur, and each bike can be different. Have the owners manuals and or shop manuals language been changed? Has a new TA or TSB been released? What is reality is not clear at this point. WE MAY ALL AGREE that NO TRANSFER SHOULD HAPPEN, SOME MAY but WHAT IS NORMAL is not clear or defined by any of us or the MOCO at this point. If there is a document that states any changes, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE IT! Point is, lets not read anything into this situation that may not be FACT! Kinda one big reason you need to take things with a grain of salt when you read in the forums. Things can get twisted and blown out of whack. YES WE HAVE A PROBLEM, no doubt but lets not ASSUME things that may not be correct.....

Only thing I assume is ...the MOCO is not saying anything to make us feel confident they will address this and stand by their product.........HOPE THIS AINT FACT!!!!

Eagle Out
To the best of my knowledge the service manual specs have not changed yet. Don't quote me, but I think Steve was told by his dealer (or the moco) that they would be changing at some point. It was in one of the zillion threads out there, not sure which one.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:50 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,190 Likes on 4,398 Posts

Originally Posted by 103Eagle
The MOCO put out the TA0022 and where did it list specs or mention specs that were changed?
Oil transfer between the trans and primary has NEVER BEEN normal.... Just look at the people who are being told by their dealers that, "It's physically impossible." The standard has always been that the trans and primary are separate components, requiring separate fluids, and sharing only a vent (which apparently some dealers never knew)...

Per the TA0022, it started with the hydraulic clutch Rushmore bikes (2014).....

The fact that the MoCo is starting to say there is a normal transfer, whatever the amount, is a totally new change... and we all know it is absolute BS...

It is the MoCo's attempt to punt, when faced with a fix that is too costly for them to absorb.

I am convinced they know the cause, and a proper fix would be too costly, so they are experimenting, on customer bikes, with various lower cost band-aides... Since none of their band-aides are stopping the transfer, they decided to change tactics and say there is a "normal" amount of transfer...

It is an inexcusable response to this issue, and a very shady way to do business... They are digging a hole that even their incredible marketing machine and century old lifestyle reputation will not save them from...

The following 2 users liked this post by hattitude:
FM500 (11-03-2017), GPHDXLC (11-02-2017)
Old 11-02-2017, 12:12 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 407 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
It is an inexcusable response to this issue, and a very shady way to do business... They are digging a hole that even their incredible marketing machine and century old lifestyle reputation will not save them from...
Couldn't agree more.

The following 3 users liked this post by bad tappets:
FM500 (11-03-2017), GPHDXLC (11-02-2017), jpooch00 (11-02-2017)
Old 11-02-2017, 12:36 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,922 Likes on 3,290 Posts

Maybe I'm lucky but my bike's trans oil is clean as a whistle and right where it should be on the stick. It get's ridden about as hard as you can ride one so I think some bad parts got manufactured.

Look at it like this, could be they get the same part from different suppliers, like bearings or pushrods or whatever. Just like Samsung did with the Note 7 phone that was blowing up catching fire.
Only batteries from a certain manufacture were bad but they couldn't tell which battery every phone had so they recalled they entire phone.
HD could have a similar problem.. One thing for sure, they will NEVER ADMIT IT. Never!

Old 11-02-2017, 03:40 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
Oil transfer between the trans and primary has NEVER BEEN normal.... Just look at the people who are being told by their dealers that, "It's physically impossible." The standard has always been that the trans and primary are separate components, requiring separate fluids, and sharing only a vent (which apparently some dealers never knew)...

Per the TA0022, it started with the hydraulic clutch Rushmore bikes (2014).....

The fact that the MoCo is starting to say there is a normal transfer, whatever the amount, is a totally new change... and we all know it is absolute BS...

It is the MoCo's attempt to punt, when faced with a fix that is too costly for them to absorb.

I am convinced they know the cause, and a proper fix would be too costly, so they are experimenting, on customer bikes, with various lower cost band-aides... Since none of their band-aides are stopping the transfer, they decided to change tactics and say there is a "normal" amount of transfer...

First off, IMO, all dealers should automatically be assumed to be total mindless idiots and clueless, greedy sleazebags until they prove otherwise (your guy definitely did NOT).

What you call "punt", I think of as "screw the hell outta their customers, as usual".

Agree 100% with your "digging a hole" statement. On their present course, surely it's only a matter of time.

I hope they just finally go ahead and give up on their constant, never-ending lines of bullsh!t, Man-Up, and fix the problems that some of their customers are having. Is that too much to ask?

Last edited by jpooch00; 11-02-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:27 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,683 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
I hope they just finally go ahead and give up on their constant, never-ending lines of bullsh!t, Man-Up, and fix the problems that some of their customers are having. Is that too much to ask?
Isn't that what is supposed to happen when you spend $25,000 - $40,000 for a new multi million mile test HD?

Last edited by Steve Cole; 11-03-2017 at 10:28 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Steve Cole:
103Eagle (11-03-2017), GPHDXLC (11-03-2017), jpooch00 (11-04-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 12:20 PM
StevenL808
Intermediate
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

After the first round of "Drain, fill and ride for 1000 miles", I checked the dipstick after 250 miles and there was no fluid on it! I took the bike back to my dealer. They will call the motor company again to see what's next. Since they don't know what's going on, I think they are just having me bring it in to adjust the fluid levels. If that'a all they got, I can do that in less than an hour and not to keep dropping my bike off at the dealer.

After studying repair manuals, videos on how the clutch and transmission works, I've concluded that point of failure has to be the push rod for the clutch. It's the only piece that has a path way between the trans and the primary. It runs right though the main shaft. I'm less convinced it's the bearings or seals around the input shaft as if it was there would be some external leak or at least some seepage.

One good thing is I've got the GM of the dealership on my side. He said he is going to make a few phone calls and push the issue. He feels "drain, fill and ride" is just nonsense.

Old 11-03-2017, 12:29 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by StevenL808

After studying repair manuals, videos on how the clutch and transmission works, I've concluded that point of failure has to be the push rod for the clutch. It's the only piece that has a path way between the trans and the primary. It runs right though the main shaft.
Dude you cracked the case! Well done Sir.

Old 11-03-2017, 12:48 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,848 Likes on 996 Posts

Originally Posted by StevenL808
One good thing is I've got the GM of the dealership on my side. He said he is going to make a few phone calls and push the issue. He feels "drain, fill and ride" is just nonsense.
It is nonsense and he should be on your side. This problem could end up costing dealers in sales of new bikes.

Quick Reply: Trans, there is a fix !