Sponsored by:

Trans, there is a fix !

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 12:34 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 407 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Well, that about sums up the way MoCo is handling this with me. I feel that all they are trying to do is push this out long enough so that the warranty period is over and screw over those of us with the issues. It's really sad but we know that MoCo reads these web sites daily and this is the way they are treating there customers! No offers to solve the problem or compensate those of us that are stuck with it. I bought a vehicle that was suppose to perform as advertised, not one that had to be taken in to the dealership every 500 miles! Its called a Touring model and I am supposed to be able to tour on it but HD does not have dealerships every 500 miles across the world so how does one tour with it?
A question for M8 owners who are experiencing trans fluid migration. Would you feel better about the whole thing if MOCO were to contact you, acknowledge the issue, admit they do not have a fix at this time, promise to fix the issue when they do have a fix, and extend your warranty for the transmission?

I ask, because in these times of the internet and almost universal communication, I am astounded that MOCO has not reached out to assure their customers that they will be taken care of.

If I was in the market for a bike, I certainly would not buy an M8, based on MOCO's handling of this issue.

The following users liked this post:
FM500 (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 12:36 PM
Warrior 72
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bad tappets
A question for M8 owners who are experiencing trans fluid migration. Would you feel better about the whole thing if MOCO were to contact you, acknowledge the issue, admit they do not have a fix at this time, promise to fix the issue when they do have a fix, and extend your warranty for the transmission?

I ask, because in these times of the internet and almost universal communication, I am astounded that MOCO has not reached out to assure their customers that they will be taken care of.

If I was in the market for a bike, I certainly would not buy an M8, based on MOCO's handling of this issue.

I would definitely appreciate it, at least let us know if progress is being made.

The following users liked this post:
FM500 (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 12:49 PM
Fretone Fret
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok. Here I sit at my dealer for the 5k service and I told them to change the primary and tranny oil if there's anything left in it. The service writer says: 'what do you mean if theres any left?' I told him I've had to continually watch and add tranny fluid since the 1000 mile service. And thats the reason I want both the tranny and primary oil changed even though it is not required at the 5k service.
I asked if he has heard of the migration and he says its impossible for it to be going into the primary. So I hip him to the bulletin # and he goes back to the tech and when takes off my deby cover .... you know the rest. Primary WAY overfilled and gray color oil.

He apologized and says the bulletin says bring it in every 1k miles. He truly was ignorant of the problem! Well it will be a complete inconvenience to bring it back every 1k miles to have them pull derby cover, drain primary, and replace the primary oil.

The problem is documented, and I see a potential lemon law action from me. The problem is, I really like the bike but, cant see bringing it in every 1k miles.......

Old 11-01-2017, 12:50 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by bad tappets

I've been seeing/hearing that the MoCo's current response regarding the fluid migration issue is the now-ancient "That's normal, they all do that" line.

So, now that it's "normal", it's "There ain't no fluid migration problem no more - don't know what yer tawkin' about. Just be sure ya bring it in ever' 1000 miles, anyway".

Helluva way to do things, IMO.

Last edited by jpooch00; 11-01-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:05 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

I just verified that Ohio does have a Lemon Law for motorcycles.

So while I hope that my coming 2018 Limited CVO is everything I hope for, if it becomes a hanger queen due to HD's not fixing the problem I will make them eat it.

I really hope it does not come to that....

Old 11-01-2017, 01:16 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Warrior 72
Mine is currently at my local dealership awaiting a technician from HD to bring in a "kit" that may fix it. Mine has run dry a few times, I asked the service manager what happens when my transmission takes a **** because of this problem, his answer was that it all has been documented and it will be taken care of. This is not what I spent $25,000 for, he said keep riding and adding and draining the fluid, WTF.
I may keep my 14 King with cable clutch for a loooong time. Ridiculous what you and others are having to put up with.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:24 PM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

I think Ive only said once that i wish I kept my 10 Ultra. I dont plan my life around "what if's" though, so Im glad I have a M8. It is a wonderful machine. If there had never been this issue, it would've gone down as one of the best motors Harley ever released..... It still may. If MoCo gets it together and takes care of this..... it will be a footnote in the M8 history......... Bourbon helps me forget problems..... bottoms up.

The following 2 users liked this post by TomcatCV62:
FM500 (11-01-2017), GPHDXLC (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 04:18 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Since the MOCO has changed the specs and now says migration is normal I think that voids any chance of a lemon law claim.

Old 11-01-2017, 04:24 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by purpledeuce
Since the MOCO has changed the specs and now says migration is normal I think that voids any chance of a lemon law claim.
I'm not a lawyer but I don't think that will save them. Changing the spec after the fact...

Old 11-01-2017, 04:24 PM
Hd589
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by purpledeuce
not so fast, they have to have specs and it has to be small enough to not cause starvation and damage. Some report theirs run almost dry, that's a lemon. Period.

Quick Reply: Trans, there is a fix !