Sponsored by:

Trans, there is a fix !

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 02:54 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Well, that about sums up the way MoCo is handling this with me. I feel that all they are trying to do is push this out long enough so that the warranty period is over and screw over those of us with the issues. It's really sad but we know that MoCo reads these web sites daily and this is the way they are treating there customers! No offers to solve the problem or compensate those of us that are stuck with it. I bought a vehicle that was suppose to perform as advertised, not one that had to be taken in to the dealership every 500 miles! Its called a Touring model and I am supposed to be able to tour on it but HD does not have dealerships every 500 miles across the world so how does one tour with it?
Steve I couldn't agree more and thats why I'm holding on to what I currently have now. I have a friend wanting to sell his 2016 limited with 9500 miles on it, looks like he may get the $19,000 asking price pretty easy now. It has 222's installed as well. I mean seriously, someone had enough faith to spend there hard earned dollar on HD's newest and greatest bikes and then low and behold BAM, all these issue's. I'd be sick to my stomach knowing that there isn't a fix.
Hopefully someone will come up with something that will take care of this transfer, whether it be the hard working customer that just wanted to relax on the weekend and see the beauty of the country or whether it be the MOCO that has but all given up on the idea that you get what you pay for.

Last edited by Tn.Heritage; 10-31-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:52 PM
borrec
Cruiser
Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

I contacted the editors of "Motorcycle Consumer News", "Rider", and "RoadRunner" magazines today. I let them know what was going on and HD's response. Also gave them the link to the topic on this forum about it. Told them I would have appreciated it if they had let their subscribers know this as I wouldn't have purchased mine if I had known. So far one response from "RoadRunner":

Thanks for your email. Ashley forwarded it to me.

We report on NHTSA recalls when we think it will keep our readers safer. Obviously the issue you describe would be one to share, but unless there’s an actual recall out there or a nice subscriber like yourself emails us, we’d never know. I’ll email Harley myself now, too, and see if they have a response. In the meantime, we’re going to print your email in our next issue’s Reader Comments, and hopefully more riders are alerted to this issue. Good looking out. Thank you.

The following 16 users liked this post by borrec:
$tonecold (10-31-2017), 103Eagle (10-31-2017), 14GuineaPig (10-31-2017), bradsULtd (11-01-2017), Carlos3621 (11-01-2017), FM500 (11-01-2017), GPHDXLC (10-31-2017), harleytuner (11-01-2017), Heatwave (11-01-2017), lp (10-31-2017), MotoJockey (10-31-2017), ocezam (11-01-2017), PFWiz (10-31-2017), SomeOld Biker (11-01-2017), Steve Cole (10-31-2017), Woodsy (11-03-2017) and 11 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-31-2017, 07:35 PM
Hd589
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by borrec
I contacted the editors of "Motorcycle Consumer News", "Rider", and "RoadRunner" magazines today. I let them know what was going on and HD's response. Also gave them the link to the topic on this forum about it. Told them I would have appreciated it if they had let their subscribers know this as I wouldn't have purchased mine if I had known. So far one response from "RoadRunner":

Thanks for your email. Ashley forwarded it to me.

We report on NHTSA recalls when we think it will keep our readers safer. Obviously the issue you describe would be one to share, but unless there’s an actual recall out there or a nice subscriber like yourself emails us, we’d never know. I’ll email Harley myself now, too, and see if they have a response. In the meantime, we’re going to print your email in our next issue’s Reader Comments, and hopefully more riders are alerted to this issue. Good looking out. Thank you.
nice. There's a good start.

The following 2 users liked this post by Hd589:
FM500 (11-01-2017), mjwebb (10-31-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 08:01 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Maybe it's time for a CLASS ACTION SUIT! Any lawyers out there want to take upon the cause?

Old 11-01-2017, 02:14 AM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
he doesn't have a dog in this fight, but he sure acts like he is really getting a kick out of the problems some M8 owners are experiencing.
Yeah, theres been a lot of that going around for the past year.

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 03:26 AM
kap1
Road Captain
Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

I believe that NHTSA only is concerned with safety issues. Unless the transfer issue affects your safety they will have nothing to say or do about it if risk of injury is not involved, i.e no recall.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:43 AM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by kap1
I believe that NHTSA only is concerned with safety issues. Unless the transfer issue affects your safety they will have nothing to say or do about it if risk of injury is not involved, i.e no recall.
I would say if a lock up occurs due to lack of lube, that would seriously create a safety issue, as well as a lemon law issue as in the manufacturer had an unsuccessful attempt to fix a defect that could cause death or serious injury.......

Eagle Out

Old 11-01-2017, 08:47 AM
Hd589
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 103Eagle
I would say if a lock up occurs due to lack of lube, that would seriously create a safety issue, as well as a lemon law issue as in the manufacturer had an unsuccessful attempt to fix a defect that could cause death or serious injury.......

Eagle Out
exactly, a potentially locked rear wheel is not a good proposition when moving.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:49 AM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

My Trans blew early on Nov. 2016 .. I never gave a thought to possible transfer, nor did the dealer.. the one thing they did say, was they thought there was no Trans fluid in until they got 3rd gear teeth from clogging the hole "then some came out".. No one gave a thought to measure how much truely came out, and the tech would not have given a second thought to the primary over full.. Now w the bulletin it would have been our first look. I find it interesting that the major troubles on the M8 (including sumping) I found out real quick, now we know better, but it was a real head scratcher the first 2 months of ownership, and my reputation at the dealer was being compromised as above average rider w a vengance to see how good they really are, and me and my bike was an exception to the rule. Hence, when I last said my bike was sumping after the new improved pump, they said we'll haft to see it. And so they got it ridden in to dealer in cotostophic failure.. At this point my dealer knows I'm legit, and I and them are truely upset that the MoCo is not announcing a true fix. They would much rather be selling and putting add-on parts and service then than this craziness. We get along great now, probably because I'm passive aggressive, as they are as well.

The following users liked this post:
Heatwave (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 12:02 PM
Warrior 72
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine is currently at my local dealership awaiting a technician from HD to bring in a "kit" that may fix it. Mine has run dry a few times, I asked the service manager what happens when my transmission takes a **** because of this problem, his answer was that it all has been documented and it will be taken care of. This is not what I spent $25,000 for, he said keep riding and adding and draining the fluid, WTF.

Quick Reply: Trans, there is a fix !