Trans, there is a fix !

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 10:23 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,261 Likes on 1,339 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
Hey Steve the parts I ordered will be here Wednesday. I will try to have something to send you the end of the week or the first of next week if you want.
$tone, are you going to try the Hydro to Cable clutch change out?

Old 10-29-2017, 10:42 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,848 Likes on 996 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
$tone, are you going to try the Hydro to Cable clutch change out?
Not yet, there’s a few other ideas that we’re going to try first.

Old 10-29-2017, 11:34 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member

Not yet, there’s a few other ideas that we’re going to try first.
Copy that.......

Old 10-29-2017, 11:50 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Has anyone tried venting the primary yet on a problem bike to see the if it corrects the issue?

Old 10-30-2017, 12:16 AM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by LA VIC
Has anyone tried venting the primary yet on a problem bike to see the if it corrects the issue?
My SM is asking MoCo if he can drill/tap a 3/8" NPT into the inner primary, put a brass fitting in it with a hose running up under the seat. Hopefully we'll hear something on Tuesday or Wednesday.....

Old 10-30-2017, 12:51 AM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

My SM is asking MoCo if he can drill/tap a 3/8" NPT into the inner primary, put a brass fitting in it with a hose running up under the seat. Hopefully we'll hear something on Tuesday or Wednesday.....
It's a damn shame to have to resort to it but I was thinking the same thing. Hope it works out for you.

Old 10-30-2017, 02:35 AM
Mad Monk
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, what would happen, in theory, to the trans if the thing was almost bone dry as described above and you were doing a 'spirited' ride. Would it go bone dry? Then what would happen?

Old 10-30-2017, 06:38 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by LA VIC
This very well could work

3\8" Might want to look into a plumbing fixture for this too. They make a 3/8 inch vacuum breaker for plumbing fixtures. This wouldnt allow anything to vent through it and only allows pressure to be pulled through it when a vacuum is pulled. They work great..... just a thought. Google 3/8 inch vacuum breaker, they appear on amazon.....

Originally Posted by Mad Monk
So, what would happen, in theory, to the trans if the thing was almost bone dry as described above and you were doing a 'spirited' ride. Would it go bone dry? Then what would happen?
The fluid in the transmission reaches a point of equalization.... thats why there havent been any reports of nuked transmissions..... I could be wrong here, but I believe they equal out....

Last edited by TomcatCV62; 10-30-2017 at 06:39 AM. Reason: run on sentence.....
Old 10-30-2017, 06:39 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Monk
Worse case scenario is the trans seizes up, locks the tire and the rider goes down. More than likely the rider would hear a noise way before it would get to that point and pull over. It's a pretty loud squealing noise. I can hear it on the dyno over the bike running and all the fans while wearing ear protection.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:46 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

But it could, it has the same hydraulic clutch actuator as the ‘16 and the difference in the ‘17 is an O-ring missing. Apparently the TC main seal between the engine and primary does its job and doesn’t cause low pressure in the primary. Lucky you!
1000% agreed! I DO know without a doubt that I'm lucky that I got a good 'un (so far, anyway, knock wood). I've said it before and, AFAIC, it's true - buying ANYTHING from the MoCo is a total crap-shoot.

I took the chance and lucked out, apparently. Won't be pushing my luck again in the future, though! My '15 Limited is exactly what I want & she's a keeper!!

Last edited by jpooch00; 10-30-2017 at 06:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Trans, there is a fix !