Sponsored by:

Trans, there is a fix !

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 06:16 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
Apparently I am going to have every post I make parsed and argued by each of Steve's acolytes. OK, it's your turn.

You imply a close relationship with him, and say you're positive he doesn't want to pursue legal action. Why not? If he has been as patient as you say, and he is as wronged as he says, legal action seems to be the best recourse.
I stated " i'm quit positive he didn't/doesn't want to take legal action", meaning he would much rather his issues be resolved between him, the dealer and the MoCo, and not through lawyers. The man just wants the bikes he purchased to preform they way they are intended to. It's that simple.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:21 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,683 Likes on 1,669 Posts

On the bike in question I have never touched it for testing, it is and always has been 100% as supplied by HD other than a replacement HD Stage I air cleaner, AIM lockup clutch cover and HD 1200N clutch springs.

All of my testing of possible fixes has been on different bikes for this issue. I purchased the earlier clutch slave cylinder (14 - 16) but it does not work due to fitting changes on the clutch line. The pushrod appeared to me to look the same in the parts book so I did not buy that.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:34 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,957 Likes on 4,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
On the bike in question I have never touched it for testing, it is and always has been 100% as supplied by HD other than a replacement HD Stage I air cleaner, AIM lockup clutch cover and HD 1200N clutch springs.

All of my testing of possible fixes has been on different bikes for this issue. I purchased the earlier clutch slave cylinder (14 - 16) but it does not work due to fitting changes on the clutch line. The pushrod appeared to me to look the same in the parts book so I did not buy that.

So Steve, you got 2 bikes that do it.. I take it that the other one is the one with all the mods and testing you did?

Old 10-29-2017, 06:53 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

I'm surprised the MoCo hasn't simply said: "Don't worry, when the primary is full the transfer will stop."

Old 10-29-2017, 07:14 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
So Steve, you got 2 bikes that do it.. I take it that the other one is the one with all the mods and testing you did?
Some on it and some on other customer bikes. It's not like I am the only one with these problems. I guess that might be a big difference when you only have one bike but I have customers who have near given up on HD over this and are hoping I will get back to working on this and come up with a fix for it. If I thought I had something that solved it, I could build 30 tomorrow and have them all out in bikes across the country testing in a week or so, as there is that many people wanting to try something, anything to fix it. So don't tell me MoCo doesn't know about it!

Old 10-29-2017, 07:17 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

I personally have run over 20 M8 Touring bikes and each and everyone has transferred transmission oil into the primary when tested. I own 2 and they both do it so I'm running 100% when testing for it. I have run 3 '18 M8 Touring's and they do it as well. I have also run a '18 Softail and the primary was overfull on it as well but I did not drain it first to make sure it was correct to start with. So I'm still on the fence if they do it or not. I have talked with shops all around the world, many of them are HD dealerships and they are seeing it too. So when someone says HD doesn't know about it or didn't know about it, I do not see how that is possible. I've know about it since Oct. 2017 and informed my dealership of it back then.

The biggest issue at shops is that most remove the drain plugs when doing a service and allow it to drain while doing the other parts of the service/inspection. So they never check the level prior to draining. At that point they would never know about it. If more start checking the levels before service work and noting it, the picture it would paint, I am afraid will look much worse.
I don't know you but I don't feel you are lying, so all 20 did it, that's horrible. How the MoCo can continue to sell the bikes like this is simply unbelievable. I have went out of my way all summer to talk to M8 owners, I was able to talk to 7,they loved them and was trouble free, the most mileage I seen was around 3000 most was in the 1000 range. With that said, I can see how the oil could be transferring with out there knowledge, I know shops not looking for it just pop out all the drain plugs and let it flow out, no way they would know how much oil was coming out of each hole. This is so sad because the guys loved the new motor, all of them was so happy. Sounds like the MoCo has a great motor with a flaw.
They need to fix this fast, or in the near future the MoCo will be in big trouble. BTW I hope the 18 Softail you ran was just overfilled from the factory, I didn't think they would do it with a cable clutch. Keep us up-dated on the Softails please.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:41 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru

The M8 is a big step for the MoCo. I feel they made many improvements. The problem is they are going to ruin it the way they are treating customers. They have some issues, they know it and so does everyone else. If they put half as much time as they do trying to cover it up, into fixing the issues we might have fixes by now. Instead they have chosen to deny issues and try to hang customers out to dry, then blame that on the dealerships. The new 2018 117 CVO bikes are already having sumpping issues! Go figure..... They blamed that last model year on SE parts as the cause, so what are they going to say now. The answer now seems to be, for the transfer issues, is that's normal.

I think there (Moco) in so deep right now they have no idea what's going on and denying is the only thing they know how to do. I have a customer that is on engine #5 for his 2017 CVO and it is at the dealership right now for sumpping again! Each time they send new engines and Stage IV parts. The dealership installs them and the last engine he asked the dealership to keep it and break the engine in so he could not be blamed for it. Got it back and it didn't go 1000 miles before it sumpped again. Sounds just the same as mine going back for fluid transfer issues!

Old 10-29-2017, 08:40 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,848 Likes on 996 Posts

Hey Steve the parts I ordered will be here Wednesday. I will try to have something to send you the end of the week or the first of next week if you want.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:07 PM
Ert
Advanced
Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

I purchased the earlier clutch slave cylinder (14 - 16) but it does not work due to fitting changes on the clutch line. The pushrod appeared to me to look the same in the parts book so I did not buy that.
The '14 CVOs do have another pushrod which consists of 3 parts and it has a bigger diameter than the other ones. Some dealers in Germany tried this fix on their own. AT first it seems to work. The only Problem is, that those bikes haven't run many miles (in Germany we haven't such big distances like in the USA so most of our bikes don't ride that much) since the fix.
The costs for the parts are about 40 bucks. So maybe you could try this fix?

Last edited by Ert; 10-29-2017 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:22 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,848 Likes on 996 Posts

Originally Posted by Ert
The '14 CVOs do have another pushrod which consists of 3 parts and it has a bigger diameter than the other ones. Some dealers in Germany tried this fix on their own. AT first it seems to work. The only Problem is, that those bikes haven't run many miles (in Germany we haven't such big distances like in the USA so most of our bikes don't ride that much) since the fix.
The costs for the parts are about 40 bucks. So maybe you could try this fix?
I ordered the ‘14 push rod. It is possible that combined with a few other things it might be a cure. I’m not sure that by itself it would do the trick.

Last edited by $tonecold; 10-29-2017 at 10:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ocezam (11-01-2017)

Quick Reply: Trans, there is a fix !