Sponsored by:

Trans, there is a fix !

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 09:09 AM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Jeez.

My point is it doesn't matter if it's universal. What matters is the factory's response, or lack thereof. Wether your bike has the problem, or wether you ride in a manner that your bike doesn't display the problem, the problem should still be a concern. Harley's lack of action should definitely be a concern.

The following users liked this post:
FM500 (10-29-2017)
Old 10-29-2017, 10:38 AM
Bobjv
Cruiser
Received 87 Likes on 44 Posts

The transfer (which I have) is bad enough and my dealer has been great but what bothers me even worse is Harley's response. You can argue all day whether it's "universal" or "widespread" the problem exists and it's BS.

The following 3 users liked this post by Bobjv:
FM500 (10-29-2017), GPHDXLC (10-29-2017), ocezam (11-01-2017)
Old 10-29-2017, 10:55 AM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

When I was in my BMW phase of riding, we got used to denial denial denial until they found a fix, then it was, "yea, we'll fix it" . They had no shame. I guess the last thing they want to do is admit there is a issue that they have no fix for.

The following 2 users liked this post by big papa AZ:
GPHDXLC (10-29-2017), Max Headflow (10-29-2017)
Old 10-29-2017, 11:42 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobjv
The transfer (which I have) is bad enough and my dealer has been great but what bothers me even worse is Harley's response. You can argue all day whether it's "universal" or "widespread" the problem exists and it's BS.
Your interaction is with your dealer, as it should be. When they have reported the problem to Harley Davidson, what response have they gotten?

Has your dealer seen a lot of these problems? When you reported the problem, did they say "this has been happening to a lot of our customer's bikes" or did they say it was rare? Love to hear from a user that reports the problem and has a supportive dealer.

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (10-29-2017)
Old 10-29-2017, 01:15 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
Your interaction is with your dealer, as it should be. When they have reported the problem to Harley Davidson, what response have they gotten?

Has your dealer seen a lot of these problems? When you reported the problem, did they say "this has been happening to a lot of our customer's bikes" or did they say it was rare? Love to hear from a user that reports the problem and has a supportive dealer.
Steve's dealer was supportive. They took the complaint seriously every-time. With all the business he does with them i'm sure they would bend over backwards to try to appease him. With that said, the dealer has their hands tied by the MoCo, and in Steve's case the MoCo pretty much told him "tough ****, it's your problem". That's the issue we should all be concerned about, not how many bikes or what percentage have the issue, it's the response from the company that is responsible for rectifying it.

The following 5 users liked this post by harleytuner:
FM500 (10-29-2017), GPHDXLC (10-29-2017), hattitude (10-29-2017), ocezam (11-01-2017), Steve Helton (10-29-2017)
Old 10-29-2017, 02:27 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,683 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
The obvious answer to the lack of universality is that it is NOT happening with my bike. To add to the PROOF of non-universality is the fact that there are many others that have posted it is not happening with their bike's either. Universal means all in this context. If it's not happening to all, it's not a universal problem. It could be a widespread problem, but there is very little objective evidence to support that either. Why do so many otherwise trusted dealers say they haven't seen it much, if at all? Have they all been instructed to lie to their customers?

On another note, in a recent post you said that your bike went from full, to off the stick in 20 miles. My bike is about 4 oz from full to off the stick. If your's is the same, it would seem that you are way outside of the 5 oz in 5K miles specification. Why did they send you away with this being the case?
So what year and model bike do you have?
The fact that you may not ride it in a fashion that makes the problem appear, doesn't mean your bike will not do it, if you own a M8 touring model. Reports coming from all across the USA, Canada and overseas means it is clearly wide spread. Yes, I picked the bike up after the last round of "we have fixed it", with the factory Rep flying in parts for the bike. Rode it back from the dealership and parked it. Check the fluid the next day so it was cold not hot and nothing on the stick. Call the dealership and they said bring it back. The bike was returned for that very reason you mentioned, again. The dealership has been very supportive all the way but there hands are tied by HD. The dealer was instructed by HD to fill the transmission and return it to the customer. Does that sound like a fix or even an attempt to fix it to you? I have refused to have the bike returned to me at this point, and have taken the next steps in the process. I have given HD every chance in the world to take care of this in a proper fashion, they have chosen not to do so. They also have told the dealership to tell the customer it is NORMAL for fluid to transfer and that it will not hurt the transmission. I asked them for the normal amount and where it was in any service manual or owner’s manual. HD said they would be adding it.

I work in this field for a living and I have to say that seeing this happen turns my guts inside out. I have been around HD bikes most of my life and this is not how I hoped I would see the MoCo doing business. Is it a sign of the times, who knows but it sure isn't going to help there sales any and there customer loyalty treating people the way they are. HD's dropping sales maybe reflecting this now too.

The following 2 users liked this post by Steve Cole:
FM500 (10-30-2017), GPHDXLC (10-29-2017)
Old 10-29-2017, 03:04 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
So what year and model bike do you have?
The fact that you may not ride it in a fashion that makes the problem appear, doesn't mean your bike will not do it, if you own a M8 touring model. Reports coming from all across the USA, Canada and overseas means it is clearly wide spread. Yes, I picked the bike up after the last round of "we have fixed it", with the factory Rep flying in parts for the bike. Rode it back from the dealership and parked it. Check the fluid the next day so it was cold not hot and nothing on the stick. Call the dealership and they said bring it back. The bike was returned for that very reason you mentioned, again. The dealership has been very supportive all the way but there hands are tied by HD. The dealer was instructed by HD to fill the transmission and return it to the customer. Does that sound like a fix or even an attempt to fix it to you? I have refused to have the bike returned to me at this point, and have taken the next steps in the process. I have given HD every chance in the world to take care of this in a proper fashion, they have chosen not to do so. They also have told the dealership to tell the customer it is NORMAL for fluid to transfer and that it will not hurt the transmission. I asked them for the normal amount and where it was in any service manual or owner’s manual. HD said they would be adding it.

I work in this field for a living and I have to say that seeing this happen turns my guts inside out. I have been around HD bikes most of my life and this is not how I hoped I would see the MoCo doing business. Is it a sign of the times, who knows but it sure isn't going to help there sales any and there customer loyalty treating people the way they are. HD's dropping sales maybe reflecting this now too.
This is just sick the way the MoCo treated you. I feel bad for you and all the others that have this problem. I wonder if the M8 might start doing it after 30 or even 50,000 miles, that could haunt the MoCo for years to come. I still love my 14 Harley, but I don't have the confidants in the M8 to buy one right now. I hope things change for you, best of luck.

Last edited by GPHDXLC; 10-29-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:33 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

This isn't our fathers MOCO any longer. I've said it in other threads, the harley we knew is gone and will not return. All the actions, or lack thereof will be the ultimate demise of the moco. The executives will ruin what's left, get a golden parachute and then sell the brand to a competitor.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:50 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,847 Likes on 995 Posts

Originally Posted by purpledeuce
This isn't our fathers MOCO any longer. I've said it in other threads, the harley we knew is gone and will not return. All the actions, or lack thereof will be the ultimate demise of the moco. The executives will ruin what's left, get a golden parachute and then sell the brand to a competitor.
I have never understood paying someone a bonus for screwing up your business. I heard the MOCO got rid of one guy that was not doing right, maybe things will start to turn. It is a problem with companies that think they only have to worry about the shareholders and not the customers.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:05 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,683 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
This is just sick the way the MoCo treated you. I feel bad for you and all the others that have this problem. I wonder if the M8 might start doing it after 30 or even 50,000 miles, that could haunt the MoCo for years to come. I still love my 14 Harley, but I don't have the confidants in the M8 to buy one right now. I hope things change for you, best of luck.
IMHO each and every M8 Touring bike will do it. I have said this from the beginning, that if ridden in the higher RPM's of the normal operating range, as supplied by HD, everyone we have tested has done it. So far the MoCo started by denying it even happens, until they could no longer do so. Issued a bulletin (TA0022) saying it does happen and extending it from just the M8's to earlier bikes. Then declared "We have fixed it", by replacing the crankshaft seal and sealing sleeve. When that didn't work a new declaration "We have it fixed" with some new part that goes into the mainshaft, to now it's normal for them to transfer fluid.

What's the story next week or next month. When the 2017 models come out of warranty and transmissions begin failing, are they going to be around and say "no problem, we will pay to replace them no charge"? How about we (HD)will pay to have the fluids filled and the primary drained for the next 100,000 miles. I'm fighting because this isn't right for me or anyone else who has spent our money buying these bikes. If HD can honestly say it's not a problem then they should be willing to give each and every owner a free extended warranty on the transmission and related components for 10 year or 100,000 miles. The reason I say 10 years or 100,000 miles is that is becoming the standard new car warranty these days.

Quick Reply: Trans, there is a fix !