Trans, there is a fix !

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 02:10 PM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
I bought my first new Harley 45 years ago
Me? About 35 years ago, neither fact is relevant...

I've never once implied that either the sumping issue or the oil transfer issue was imaginary. They are not, however, universal.
I think the transfer issue is MUCH more universal than you might think, and neither the sumping or transfer issue is acceptable at any level of universality.

I'd bet there are thousands of bikes with the transfer problem that have never had the issue looked at.

First, if you don't check your trans fluid between services (I really never did for decades) you may not notice the lack of fluid in the trans or the abundance of fluid in the primary. There remains enough oil in the VERY bottom of the tranny to "limp" the bike through to the next service unbeknownst to the owner. Then once full of fluids, the cycle (no pun) starts again. This WILL NOT be good for long term reliability of your bike, but it might never be identified. You will simply burn up transmissions, well out of the warranty period. Second, If you are riding your bike like grandma might, short shifting at 2500-3500 rpm, your transfer will be minimal between services. Lot's of guys with touring bikes ride exactly this way, and they record no problem. Again, this is irrelevant. In the last 25 to 30 years I don't ride my bikes "hard", but sometimes I ride them "spirited". It helps me remember I'm not "that" old. Ride conservatively and your bike will most likely not show this problem.

I think the fluid transfer issue much more prevalent than the sumping issue, but NEITHER should be acceptable to ANYONE who owns a Harley.

It blows my mind that people who think this problem won't affect them try like hell to make the problem seem miniscule. It's as if the problem doesn't exist if it isn't currently affecting them. If your bike shows no signs of any problem, great, and good luck to you in the future. But you should still be VERY concerned about how HD treats those that are documented.

If your bike suddenly suffers from some mechanical or electrical problem that no one else has reported, would you like the MoCo to fix it? If HD does not choose fix it, would you accept that since it's only a "rare" problem you should fix it yourself?

A documented problem with a product that you own should concern you wether the problem currently affects you or not.

If the problem is limited in scope, and the manufacturer doesn't fix those affected, THIS should bother you even more! If the problem is limited in scope, therefore relatively inexpensive to resolve and HD ignores it, how will they react to a pervasive problem? A problem that YOU might actually have in the future?

Peace out!

Last edited by ocezam; 10-28-2017 at 02:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
103Eagle (10-30-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 02:39 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by ocezam
Me? About 35 years ago, neither fact is relevant...

Only relevant in context of the previous poster pointing out he had been riding for 30 years.

I think the transfer issue is MUCH more universal than you might think, and neither the sumping or transfer issue is acceptable at any level of universality.

Do you have any data to support that position, or is it simply the fact that some do, and you do as well?

I'd bet there are thousands of bikes with the transfer problem that have never had the issue looked at.

Same question, any data or just supposition?

First, if you don't check your trans fluid between services (I really never did for decades) you may not notice the lack of fluid in the trans or the abundance of fluid in the primary. There remains enough oil in the VERY bottom of the tranny to "limp" the bike through to the next service unbeknownst to the owner. Then once full of fluids, the cycle (no pun) st arts again. This WILL NOT be good for long term reliability of your bike, but it might never be identified. You will simply burn up transmissions, well out of the warranty period. Second, If you are riding your bike like grandma might, short shifting at 2500-3500 rpm, your transfer will be minimal between services. Lot's of guys with touring bikes ride exactly this way, and they record no problem. Again, this is irrelevant. In the last 25 to 30 years I don't ride my bikes "hard", but sometimes I ride them "spirited". It helps me remember I'm not "that" old. Ride conservatively and your bike will most likely not show this problem.

I'm not sure why anyone would attempt to argue that shifting a bike at the top of the torque curve is riding like grandma does. On the other hand, if riding this way does not evidence the problem, is there really a problem for people that ride this way?

I think the fluid transfer issue much more prevalent than the sumping issue, but NEITHER should be acceptable to ANYONE who owns a Harley.

It blows my mind that people who think this problem won't affect them try like hell to make the problem seem miniscule. It's as if the problem doesn't exist if it isn't currently affecting them. If your bike shows no signs of any problem, great, and good luck to you in the future. But you should still be VERY concerned about how HD treats those that are documented.

If your bike suddenly suffers from some mechanical or electrical problem that no one else has reported, would you like the MoCo to fix it? If HD does not choose fix it, would you accept that since it's only a "rare" problem you should fix it yourself?

A documented problem with a product that you own should concern you wether the problem currently affects you or not.

If the problem is limited in scope, and the manufacturer doesn't fix those affected, THIS should bother you even more! If the problem is limited in scope, therefore relatively inexpensive to resolve and HD ignores it, how will they react to a pervasive problem? A problem that YOU might actually have in the future?

Peace out!
I ran out of fingers counting the number of false straw-men you attempted to link me to. In any event, I won't be pulled into an argument on a position I haven't endorsed. In my personal experience, I have had only one problem with my new Harley Davidson. The problem was identified, parts ordered, and fixed while I waited. I was appreciative of the good service. Perhaps it was the fact that I didn't approach them with an adversarial attitude that facilitated this service. I don't know.

Old 10-28-2017, 03:04 PM
Hd589
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

I ran out of fingers counting the number of false straw-men you attempted to link me to. In any event, I won't be pulled into an argument on a position I haven't endorsed. In my personal experience, I have had only one problem with my new Harley Davidson. The problem was identified, parts ordered, and fixed while I waited. I was appreciative of the good service. Perhaps it was the fact that I didn't approach them with an adversarial attitude that facilitated this service. I don't know.
so it's someone's attitude to blame the fluid "supposed" transfer. Got it. Easy fix.
just the fact that HD put out a bulletin and their interest is to sweep whatever issue they can under the carpet is pretty telling.

Old 10-28-2017, 03:08 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hd589
so it's someone's attitude to blame the fluid "supposed" transfer. Got it. Easy fix.
just the fact that HD put out a bulletin and their interest is to sweep whatever issue they can under the carpet is pretty telling.
My gibberish to English translator is not working well. What are you trying to say?

Old 10-28-2017, 03:36 PM
Hd589
Tourer

My gibberish to English translator is not working well. What are you trying to say?
hmmmmm how does one draw an online picture for the "special" kids...
you probably wouldn't get it anyway.

Old 10-28-2017, 03:53 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member

hmmmmm how does one draw an online picture for the "special" kids...
you probably wouldn't get it anyway.
I was attempting to not draw undue attention to your limitations. Unfortunately, you weren't smart enough to know when to quit.

As to your original post, a friend that has a working gibberish translator told me that you were attempting to link my approach to Harley service department's with some other's having fluid transfer. Also implying that I had stated or implied that the non-universality of the problem meant I doubted it was happening at all. That is complete nonsense.

My personal favorite was this gem: just the fact that HD put out a bulletin and their interest is to sweep whatever issue they can under the carpet is pretty telling. Apparently in your world, a manufacturer releasing a service bulletin to address a problem some of its customers are having is "pretty telling" of their attempt to "sweep the problem under the rug." Crafty fellows there at Harley. Sweep a problem under the rug by publicly announcing its existence.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:06 PM
Hd589
Tourer

I was attempting to not draw undue attention to your limitations. Unfortunately, you weren't smart enough to know when to quit.

As to your original post, a friend that has a working gibberish translator told me that you were attempting to link my approach to Harley service department's with some other's having fluid transfer. Also implying that I had stated or implied that the non-universality of the problem meant I doubted it was happening at all. That is complete nonsense.

My personal favorite was this gem: just the fact that HD put out a bulletin and their interest is to sweep whatever issue they can under the carpet is pretty telling. Apparently in your world, a manufacturer releasing a service bulletin to address a problem some of its customers are having is "pretty telling" of their attempt to "sweep the problem under the rug." Crafty fellows there at Harley. Sweep a problem under the rug by publicly announcing its existence.
like I said, you wouldn't get it, your type uses big words to make yourself think you're smart..
small word translation for the less fortunate...
the fact they chose to acknowledge the problem instead of saying they all do that, or it's normal is in fact pretty telling, you follow there genius..?? Normally they would sweep it under the rug for obvious reasons and some not so obvious.
so, in saying there is in fact an issue and here's a solution for one model but do this for the newer ones until we find a fix is in fact contradicting your stance.
go ahead use some more big words to make yourself feel important sport. It's all you got.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:13 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member

like I said, you wouldn't get it, your type uses big words to make yourself think you're smart..
small word translation for the less fortunate...
the fact they chose to acknowledge the problem instead of saying they all do that, or it's normal is in fact pretty telling, you follow there genius..?? Normally they would sweep it under the rug for obvious reasons and some not so obvious.
so, in saying there is in fact an issue and here's a solution for one model but do this for the newer ones until we find a fix is in fact contradicting your stance.
go ahead use some more big words to make yourself feel important sport. It's all you got.
You're a funny guy, I'd love to hear more. Since a lot of the M8's don't have this issue, wouldn't it be problematic for Harley to say "they all do that?"

in saying there is in fact an issue and here's a solution for one model but do this for the newer ones until we find a fix is in fact contradicting your stance.

Your logic escapes me there. The fact that they describe a fix for early models and that they do not apply the same fix to the later models imply's several possibilities. None of which "contradict my stance."

By the way, does your M8 have the transfer problem? Or are you just looking for an argument?

Old 10-28-2017, 04:33 PM
Hd589
Tourer

You're a funny guy, I'd love to hear more. Since a lot of the M8's don't have this issue, wouldn't it be problematic for Harley to say "they all do that?"

in saying there is in fact an issue and here's a solution for one model but do this for the newer ones until we find a fix is in fact contradicting your stance.
Your logic escapes me there. The fact that they describe a fix for early models and that they do not apply the same fix to the later models imply's several possibilities. None of which "contradict my stance."

By the way, does your M8 have the transfer problem? Or are you just looking for an argument?
I believe my 15 sgs did it at least once where the tranny was almost bone dry, I topped it off and never gave it a second thought plus at the time I was using mobile1 in all 3 holes.
Traded it in a couple of weeks later for the m8 which does not at this point but it's barely broken in. So far so good.
that said I'm not going to ridicule or belittle those having issues because I'm fortunate to not, the same person you're attacking is the same one who called it months ago. He deserves the benefit of the doubt for all our sake, not harley... maybe even someone like you can get that/

harley is notorious for increasing/ decreasing specs to suit their needs and have been doing so for decades, shocking. I know... and now saying that some transfer is acceptable, read horseshit... so yes the fact they are admitting a problem with their flagship line may exists, Voluntarily, is pretty telling when considering their track record

Old 10-28-2017, 04:39 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member

I believe my 15 sgs did it at least once where the tranny was almost bone dry, I topped it off and never gave it a second thought plus at the time I was using mobile1 in all 3 holes.
Traded it in a couple of weeks later for the m8 which does not at this point but it's barely broken in. So far so good.
that said I'm not going to ridicule or belittle those having issues because I'm fortunate to not, the same person you're attacking is the same one who called it months ago. He deserves the benefit of the doubt for all our sake, not harley... maybe even someone like you can get that/

harley is notorious for increasing/ decreasing specs to suit their needs and have been doing so for decades, shocking. I know... and now saying that some transfer is acceptable, read horseshit... so yes the fact they are admitting a problem with their flagship line may exists, Voluntarily, is pretty telling when considering their track record
I've been very patient with you. You're going to have to point out to me specifically where I have ridiculed, belittled or attacked anyone in this thread. Excepting you, of course. You however, have brought it on yourself.

Quick Reply: Trans, there is a fix !