Sponsored by:

Trans, there is a fix !

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 05:14 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by 103Eagle
Well as I suspected, called Rocky Top HD due to the OP mentioned they FIXED a couple of bikes. Yup they did, put some miles on them and problem WAS NOT SOLVED! So back to the drawing board...........so much for "THERE IS A FIX"........

Eagle Out
They've only installed the baffle on 1 bike, that's it. The other 2 fixes was on that one bike which did fail and the baffle was the 3rd fix. I'm not sure there being so giving on the baffle fix yet.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:37 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos3621
It would appear that this has been an issue even before the M8 powertrain (relative to the implementation of the hydraulic clutch setup).

Maybe this is just becoming worse/ common, due to the higher potential for vacuum, due to the smaller/ new design primary?
You may be right, but I've never heard or read anything about it on any forum till the M8's came out. I know for sure that my '15 Limited doesn't do it (I broke down and checked it a couple of days ago & it's still splitting the full mark after around 5000 miles since last change).

You might be onto something regarding the smaller primary cover, but the low versions of the Rushmores have it and, AFAIK, none have had the migration issue.

Didn't they change some stuff in the M8 trannys to make them less "clunky" when shifting? Seems like the beta-testers who clambered to buy the first ones available were raving about the smooth, quiet-shifting tranny on their new bikes.

Then...

Last edited by jpooch00; 10-27-2017 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:17 AM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Tn.Heritage
They've only installed the baffle on 1 bike, that's it. The other 2 fixes was on that one bike which did fail and the baffle was the 3rd fix. I'm not sure there being so giving on the baffle fix yet.

Eagle Out

Old 10-27-2017, 10:45 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
You may be right, but I've never heard or read anything about it on any forum till the M8's came out. I know for sure that my '15 Limited doesn't do it (I broke down and checked it a couple of days ago & it's still splitting the full mark after around 5000 miles since last change).

You might be onto something regarding the smaller primary cover, but the low versions of the Rushmores have it and, AFAIK, none have had the migration issue.

Didn't they change some stuff in the M8 trannys to make them less "clunky" when shifting? Seems like the beta-testers who clambered to buy the first ones available were raving about the smooth, quiet-shifting tranny on their new bikes.

Then...
The problem as reported on the tech forum, and as detailed in TAxxx22 includes the Rushmore bikes as well. Based on the input of the professional techs on another board, it is very rare, but it is happening.

Most of the focus has been directed to the M8, but based on the "fix" identified for the Rushmore bikes, it occurred enough that Harley found a "fix."

Anecdotally, far more people in this forum say they aren't having the problem than say they do. This does not diminish the problem for those that do, but points to the error of anyone suggesting it is a universal problem for M8's. Or for that matter Rushmores, either.

The following 3 users liked this post by DaddyKnuck:
badcooky (10-27-2017), Birdog (10-27-2017), Oz Dan (10-27-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 09:55 AM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
AFAIK, there's not been ONE case of fluid transfer on the Rushmores. My '15 Limited certainly doesn't do it.
I've heard of at least one '16 doing it.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:37 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,683 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
The problem as reported on the tech forum, and as detailed in TAxxx22 includes the Rushmore bikes as well. Based on the input of the professional techs on another board, it is very rare, but it is happening.

Most of the focus has been directed to the M8, but based on the "fix" identified for the Rushmore bikes, it occurred enough that Harley found a "fix."

Anecdotally, far more people in this forum say they aren't having the problem than say they do. This does not diminish the problem for those that do, but points to the error of anyone suggesting it is a universal problem for M8's. Or for that matter Rushmores, either.
I am sure that everyone wants to believe it is not a problem but the truth is that it's a design flaw. It can and will happen to each and every HD with the hydraulic clutch if ridden in the range that causes the issue. For years they have run this setup and there has been no issues with it in 5 speed and 6 speed transmissions. No one has ever worried about the transmission level or transfer, as it just did not happen. Now we get to the M8 design and something has changed to cause this. HD wants everyone to believe it's just a few bikes but the problem is much worse than that. The fact that the bulletin TA0022 was put out confirms the issue is real. Since I am one of those lucky one's that has the issue on not one but two M8 bikes and have customers that also are having the same issue shows me it's wide spread and a total recall should be issued to fix each and every one of the bikes. The people having the issue are all across the USA so it's not limited to just one little area or just a few bikes.
HD now coming out and claiming it is normal for some fluid to transfer is just total BS and shows there lack of ability to find and fix the issue. If it was really normal why then was it not in any owners manual or any service manual that HD has ever put out? So, rather than put the effort into figuring it out they will change the newer manuals and say it's normal. I am willing to bet you will never get a HD salesman telling you up front when you come in to purchase a bike, you are going to need to check your transmission every 250 miles and add fluid as necessary and HD not will pay for it. Then, if your transmission starts making noise HD warranty will not cover it as you did not add fluid as necessary.

The following users liked this post:
bigcraig (10-28-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 11:59 AM
bigcraig
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

While I have not experienced this issue yet with my 18' RG CVO, it has put any future upgrades I was going to do, on hold.

Old 10-28-2017, 12:16 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
I am sure that everyone wants to believe it is not a problem but the truth is that it's a design flaw. It can and will happen to each and every HD with the hydraulic clutch if ridden in the range that causes the issue. For years they have run this setup and there has been no issues with it in 5 speed and 6 speed transmissions. No one has ever worried about the transmission level or transfer, as it just did not happen. Now we get to the M8 design and something has changed to cause this. HD wants everyone to believe it's just a few bikes but the problem is much worse than that. The fact that the bulletin TA0022 was put out confirms the issue is real. Since I am one of those lucky one's that has the issue on not one but two M8 bikes and have customers that also are having the same issue shows me it's wide spread and a total recall should be issued to fix each and every one of the bikes. The people having the issue are all across the USA so it's not limited to just one little area or just a few bikes.
HD now coming out and claiming it is normal for some fluid to transfer is just total BS and shows there lack of ability to find and fix the issue. If it was really normal why then was it not in any owners manual or any service manual that HD has ever put out? So, rather than put the effort into figuring it out they will change the newer manuals and say it's normal. I am willing to bet you will never get a HD salesman telling you up front when you come in to purchase a bike, you are going to need to check your transmission every 250 miles and add fluid as necessary and HD not will pay for it. Then, if your transmission starts making noise HD warranty will not cover it as you did not add fluid as necessary.
For reasons known only to yourself you chose to quote my strictly factual post and use it as a springboard to your opinionated rant.

If, as you say, there is a design flaw that will evidence transfer in "each and every bike" under specific situations, what is the flaw? I'd like to know, and I'm sure Harley would as well.

You also state unequivocally that "For years they have run this setup and there has been no issues with it in 5 speed and 6 speed transmissions. No one has ever worried about the transmission level or transfer, as it just did not happen." Interestingly enough, Harley addresses pre-M8 bikes having the problem in the very tech notice you cite.

You state the problem is not limited, but rather widespread in scope. As evidence you offer your experience and those of your customers, fair enough. Is this enough evidence to invalidate the experiences of those not having the problem?

You have been threatening legal action against Harley for months. Since they have apparently told you to pound sand, now may be the time to see if your case has merit. I suggest teaming up with one of those law firms that advertise on late night TV. With luck you can get a class action suit going.

Old 10-28-2017, 12:45 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,683 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
For reasons known only to yourself you chose to quote my strictly factual post and use it as a springboard to your opinionated rant.

If, as you say, there is a design flaw that will evidence transfer in "each and every bike" under specific situations, what is the flaw? I'd like to know, and I'm sure Harley would as well.

You also state unequivocally that "For years they have run this setup and there has been no issues with it in 5 speed and 6 speed transmissions. No one has ever worried about the transmission level or transfer, as it just did not happen." Interestingly enough, Harley addresses pre-M8 bikes having the problem in the very tech notice you cite.

You state the problem is not limited, but rather widespread in scope. As evidence you offer your experience and those of your customers, fair enough. Is this enough evidence to invalidate the experiences of those not having the problem?

You have been threatening legal action against Harley for months. Since they have apparently told you to pound sand, now may be the time to see if your case has merit. I suggest teaming up with one of those law firms that advertise on late night TV. With luck you can get a class action suit going.

My post was strictly factual.

The flaw is HD's job to find and fix, not mine, yours or anyone Else's. Yes, they added all the '14 and up hydraulic clutch bikes to the list not just M8's, so they must feel that is when they introduced the flaw. Why are none of the other bikes included should be your question as the transmission is the same one. As for what I have done, it is to follow the necessary guidelines to give them a chance to fix the issue, they have not done so in three attempts which is what is required before taking it further. Now it is going further with no need for late night TV lawyer.

For the record, I really had hoped HD would step up and address this properly. I've been riding HD bikes for over 30 years and currently have 8 of them. So I'm not just someone who has a bone to pick for the fun of doing it. This issue is real, as is the sumping issue.

Last edited by Steve Cole; 10-28-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-28-2017, 01:12 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
My post was strictly factual.

The flaw is HD's job to find and fix, not mine, yours or anyone Else's. Yes, they added all the '14 and up hydraulic clutch bikes to the list not just M8's, so they must feel that is when they introduced the flaw. Why are none of the other bikes included should be your question as the transmission is the same one. As for what I have done, it is to follow the necessary guidelines to give them a chance to fix the issue, they have not done so in three attempts which is what is required before taking it further. Now it is going further with no need for late night TV lawyer.

For the record, I really had hoped HD would step up and address this properly. I've been riding HD bikes for over 30 years and currently have 8 of them. So I'm not just someone who has a bone to pick for the fun of doing it. This issue is real, as is the sumping issue.
Good for you. I bought my first new Harley 45 years ago, but was riding them in fields long before that. I've never once implied that either the sumping issue or the oil transfer issue was imaginary. They are not, however, universal.

Quick Reply: Trans, there is a fix !