Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission fluid transfer service bulletin

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 08:44 AM
rossn2
Road Master
Received 131 Likes on 73 Posts

Had my 20K done Saturday (2017 RGU M8), rear tire replaced by local Harley Master Tech (owns own business now). Asked him to check primary prior to draining for fluid transfer, as I have been adding tranny fluid. Sure enough about 1 qt overfilled in primary. He called Dealer to tell them about the issue, and they pulled my VIN and said my Powertrain has been flagged by Harley, WTF? The only thing done to bike was August 2017 at purchase dealer put aftermarket pipes, air cleaner, and Stage 1 download using a DEALESHIP OWNED Powervision tuner.

So, Now I'm gonna have to fight with Harley regarding my warranty...A Word to everyone on this site. Harley is VOIDING power train warranties on bikes with basically anything from stock!

Last edited by rossn2; 06-24-2019 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:49 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by rossn2
Had my 20K done Saturday (2017 RGU M8), rear tire replaced by local Harley Master Tech (owns own business now). Asked him to check primary prior to draining for fluid transfer, as I have been adding tranny fluid. Sure enough about 1 qt overfilled in primary. He called Dealer to tell them about the issue, and they pulled my VIN and said my Powertrain has been flagged by Harley, WTF? The only thing done to bike was August 2017 at purchase dealer put aftermarket pipes, air cleaner, and Stage 1 download using a DEALESHIP OWNED Powervision tuner.

So, Now I'm gonna have to fight with Harley regarding my warranty...A Word to everyone on this site. Harley is VOIDING power train warranties on bikes with basically anything from stock!
Once you mated the Powervision (or any non-EPA approved Tuner) to the bike's ECU, the DealerTech computer immediately communicated with HD's Corporate Computer Network that the bike had a non-EPA approved tuner mated to it. At that moment your drivetrain warranty was toast. Unrecoverable. All factory and any HD ESP coverage for your bike's drivetrain was immediately flagged and voided. HD does NOT notify bike owners when they void their bike's factory or HD ESP warranty. The only way you'll ever find out if your drivetrain warranty is voided, is when you make a warranty claim or request a status of your warranty coverage directly from the dealer.

You can try to fight it but you have already lost.

Last edited by Heatwave; 06-24-2019 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:52 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,377 Likes on 4,784 Posts

dealerships are independent of the MOCO limited powertrain terms and conditions which clearly is stated in your Owners Manual is a contract between manufacturer and owner. The dealership should have known better and are not supposed to be installing what they did on a already compliant engine. Sorry but this is not HD being the bad guy..it's a misunderstanding and / or miscommunication issue between you and your dealership on what can and cannot be done in order to comply with the factory warranty rules

Old 06-24-2019, 09:05 AM
rossn2
Road Master

I just had the Clutch/Master Cylinder recall along with Rear rocker gasket replaced all under warranty within last 60 days...was never told my Powertrain was flagged. I think the damn tech must have hooked up the scan tool, which makes no sense...

Old 06-24-2019, 09:06 AM
rossn2
Road Master

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Once you mated the Powervision (or any non-EPA approved Tuner) to the bike's ECU, the DealerTech computer immediately communicated with HD's Corporate Computer Network that the bike had a non-EPA approved tuner mated to it. At that moment your drivetrain warranty was toast. Unrecoverable. All factory and any HD ESP coverage for your bike's drivetrain was immediately flagged and voided. HD does NOT notify bike owners when they void their bike's factory or HD ESP warranty. The only way you'll ever find out if your drivetrain warranty is voided, is when you make a warranty claim or request a status of your warranty coverage directly from the dealer.

You can try to fight it but you have already lost.
The powervision tuning was done in August 2017 by the Dealership..

Old 06-24-2019, 09:09 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

I just had the Clutch/Master Cylinder recall along with Rear rocker gasket replaced all under warranty within last 60 days...was never told my Powertrain was flagged. I think the damn tech must have hooked up the scan tool, which makes no sense...
Probably hooked up the DealerTech scan tool to see if there were any recalls for your bike. Once he connected...Flag popped up.... drivetrain warranty gone in an instant.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:57 AM
Maccam26
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Dealer called me this AM... Vent Kit is backordered.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:03 AM
Porkwrice
Intermediate
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stro1965
If you weren't being such a smart-*** I'd tell ya.
It’s ok man....I already know whatever you have to say is false anyway.....nobody wants to hear “don’t ride above 3000 rpm’s”, and “don’t pull the clutch in too many times” and “don’t go around right hand corners”. You can go back to having your feelings hurt meow.

Old 06-24-2019, 11:24 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 484 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Maccam26
Dealer called me this AM... Vent Kit is backordered.
bmmer, I got mine on friday from Surdyke and installed it saturday.

The following users liked this post:
Maccam26 (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 01:38 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,922 Likes on 3,290 Posts

I hate to say it but you might as well wipe your *** with the HD warranty. The fine print clearly say's they can void your warranty if they suspect you abuse the bike by riding hard... That gives them the power to basically deny anything and everything they want.
I've never bought an extended warranty on anything expect my cars or trucks.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid transfer service bulletin