Sponsored by:

Transmission fluid transfer service bulletin

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 11:23 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
The rubber hose may cost 1¢ in material. That’s just material. You’re not including the cost of the cast that was engineered to shape the rubber, the labor and overhead to produce the rubber, the engineering to design the vent, mode of manufacture, and material selection, the transportation costs, etc., etc. ...the list goes on. The vent tube is worth $10 (my guess). The kit also includes a primary gasket, derby cover gasket, and o-ring.

All that for $24 is well worth it, given that all the pieces individually would be $50.
I think my point was lost on you. I don't care how much it's worth or what it cost them to make. The fluid transfer problem is theirs to fi and zero cost should be put on the customer. They's had this problem since the release of the M8, it should be covered regardless of an intact warranty.

The following 5 users liked this post by harleytuner:
bradn (06-22-2019), Gead (06-19-2019), kap1 (06-19-2019), madmat (06-22-2019), Porkwrice (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 11:44 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Originally Posted by SluggoMagoo
It better be free to me. I still have a warranty.
Originally Posted by harleytuner
I think my point was lost on you. I don't care how much it's worth or what it cost them to make. The fluid transfer problem is theirs to fi and zero cost should be put on the customer. They's had this problem since the release of the M8, it should be covered regardless of an intact warranty.
It's going to be very, very, interesting to see what the MoCo does when owners start experiencing oil transfer after their factory warranty has expired.

Old 06-21-2019, 01:41 PM
Supergo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SluggoMagoo
My kit came in today. Service let me see the kit. It has a primary cover rubber gasket, primary housing gasket, an o-right and the vent tube. They let me photograph the tube. Bike should be ready next week.
Originally Posted by Flinch
Anyone have a picture after the vent was installed? I just picked up a 2019 FLHXS last week curious if it has the vent preinstalled.
Originally Posted by fordhd2005
Just look at the back side of your primary toward the rear for a hose sticking out (The hose that is pictured in the post above yours).
I have a 2019 RGS and when I did my 1000k service I drained 38 ounces from the primary........came across this thread. Anyone have a picture of this vent tube installed?

Old 06-21-2019, 02:08 PM
bradsULtd
HDF Community Team
Received 533 Likes on 382 Posts

It's in this forum somewhere, but hard to see in pics...located on left side of bike, off the upper rear, inside of the primary case...curved rubber section is up high...be easier to tell you where to feel

Last edited by bradsULtd; 06-21-2019 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:06 PM
Supergo
Cruiser

I did my 1000k service at 700 miles due to an upcoming trip. When I did the service I emptied 38 ounces from the primary. After coming across this thread I went out and drained my primary and found it had 40 ounces in it. My bike currently has 1700 miles on it!!!!! Service manual says 30 ounces for the primary........10 ounces in 1000 miles. No wonder the shifting deteriorated during my trip. My bike is a 2019 Road Glide Special and it does not have the vent kit installed!

Old 06-22-2019, 12:14 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
It's going to be very, very, interesting to see what the MoCo does when owners start experiencing oil transfer after their factory warranty has expired.
i think that if you are going to have the fluid transfer issue, then it will manifest itself way before your 2 year warranty expires.

just had the vent tube installed on the wife's bike this morning. my bike has 1900 miles on it, and not transferring, but her bike had 1700 and it was. so she has the tube, and i get to continue monitoring mine every week or so....

Last edited by skratch; 06-22-2019 at 12:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Thingfish (06-22-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 08:40 AM
Supergo
Cruiser

Just called the dealer that I bought the bike from. I said I wanted to make an appointment to have the vent tube installed and he said because I did the 1k service myself its going to be an issue that I will probably have to pay for the service? He said the 1k service is required to be done by the dealer? I get the fact that Harley wants all the first service done so they can run VIN #s for potential issues but the dealer I bought the bike from charges $450 for the 1K service and that's for regular oil not synthetic. Bought the Service manual and all the fluids and it came out to half that price.

Old 06-22-2019, 08:52 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Supergo
Just called the dealer that I bought the bike from. I said I wanted to make an appointment to have the vent tube installed and he said because I did the 1k service myself its going to be an issue that I will probably have to pay for the service? He said the 1k service is required to be done by the dealer? I get the fact that Harley wants all the first service done so they can run VIN #s for potential issues but the dealer I bought the bike from charges $450 for the 1K service and that's for regular oil not synthetic. Bought the Service manual and all the fluids and it came out to half that price.
Harley does not "Have" to do the first service, if that was the case they would be required to offer it for free. But that being said, they will have to verify the fact that you are transferring, before they install the vent under warranty. The easiest way is to make sure the fluid levels are correct, and then let them verify the levels, and go ride and let them witness the fluid migration.

Old 06-22-2019, 08:53 AM
Silentgreyfellow
Cruiser
Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

I would try calling another dealer to see if they'll do it under warranty.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:07 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,856 Likes on 1,602 Posts

Your dealer is F-king with you in an attempt to extract money from you. Typical. You do not EVER need to have HD do your service to maintain drive train warranty.

Ask them to show you in the owners manual in the Warranty and Service sections where they have to do your service. Watch their face....
Then tell them to install the friggin vent or you'll go elsewhere as it's a known issue with TSB and obviously a warranty item that has nothing to do with "Service".

Last edited by lp; 06-22-2019 at 10:12 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by lp:
neon65 (06-22-2019), Porkwrice (06-22-2019), Silentgreyfellow (06-22-2019), skratch (06-22-2019)

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid transfer service bulletin