Sponsored by:

Transmission fluid transfer service bulletin

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 07:45 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,387 Likes on 5,510 Posts

They had a notice of some kind in hand when they worked on mine a while back. So far no more migration. 4,500 miles after they worked on it. Leaving in couple hours on a 7-800 mile ride.
In all the years I have been riding Harley, I have never heard a dealer say "That's normal, they all do that". A Ford dealer did one time.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:17 AM
mchertel
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by oleboy
Crickets......the main trumpeter is probably getting all suited up in his Evel Knievel suit so he can ride his Evel Bike to the local WAWA.
And just because a piece of paper suggests it's happening to all bikes doesn't mean it is. Most people probably don't even know they may have an issue. I for one never said or speculated any kind of numbers that do or don't. I have however stated that it is NOT happening to my 2017 CVO Limited so far. It has 6300 miles on it and the transmission/primary oil has been changed out once. I check the trans level at least once a week and its always fine.

I do honestly believe it's an issue at higher RPM's for extended periods of time which I don't do in my normal riding. I do shift at 3500-4000 rpm's quite often though and still no issues. Put it on a dyno and crank her up, ya maybe but why would I? I am going to ride more and worry less and see what happens. For those who can't even ride their bikes like Steve I would be furious that's for sure!!

Old 10-13-2017, 08:56 AM
SavageChopper
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

If this has been happening since '14, I wonder if the fix that the Germans found of using the '14 clutch pushrod pieces does actually work?

Old 10-13-2017, 09:03 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,376 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
oh well we just have different points of views
We sure do.
how about we call a truce
Eat a bag of d's.
Certainly I don't have to own one to give my feedback (they suck) for the ones I have ridden.
yup..I and a 'few' others that actually 'own' M8's kinda' sorta' like them...but you on the other hand, non M8 owner, and TC lover, spend a lot of time on the M8 Forum bashing M8's, very strange behavior.....real piece of work you are

The following 2 users liked this post by mjwebb:
rockymtman (01-12-2018), vaham (10-21-2018)
Old 10-13-2017, 09:04 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by SavageChopper
If this has been happening since '14, I wonder if the fix that the Germans found of using the '14 clutch pushrod pieces does actually work?
AFAIK, this issue started with the M8 trannys. I don't remember ever seeing it mentioned on the Rushmore forum and my '15 Limited certainly doesn't do it.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:09 AM
mchertel
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

yup..I and a 'few' others that actually 'own' M8's kinda' sorta' like them...but you on the other hand, non M8 owner, and TC lover, spend a lot of time on the M8 Forum bashing M8's, very strange behavior.....real piece of work you are
Kinda sorta? Bit of an understatement my friend. By far the best bike out of the six I have had over the last 28 years or so. And far better than the never ending pinging of the TC 103.

Last edited by mchertel; 10-13-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:13 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by mchertel
Kinda sorta? Bit of an understatement my friend. By far the best bike out of the six I have had over the last 28 years or so. And far better than the never ending pinging of the TC 103.
I guess my Limited with the water-cooled 103 is the exception. I've never experienced pinging or detonation of any kind, even on 100+ degree days.

I'm a pretty conservative rider, though, so that may have something to do with it.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:08 AM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts
Default The transmission fluid transfer problem

We seem to have two different groups on this forum. The first group (we will call them the fan boys) love their Harleys and have never had a problem with them. Since they don't have a problem now they doubt that anyone else has a problem either. We will also include all the riders who take their bikes into the dealers to do fluid changes. They never check their transmissions anyway. They could be transferring fluids too but since they rely upon the dealer to discover this, they are clueless. These guys don't know what they don't know. This is by far the biggest group. They did not buy a new Harley to work on it, they bought it to ride. They expect it to not have any design problems.

Then we have the folks that actually purchased the bikes and are having the transfer problem. This group probably discovered the problem because they prefer to do their own service and maintenance. These people are adding transmission fluid on one side of the bike and sucking it out of the other side of the bike. This has been going on for 5 months for people like me so naturally I am upset. What upsets me the most is the fact that the MOCO seems to have adopted a rather cavalier attitude toward this design or manufacturing problem.

The recently published Technical TA0022 from the MOCO lists the CAUSE as "oil is transferring from the transmission cavity to the primary cavity". Well duh.... that is obvious. What we want to know is WHY it is transferring and we want them to fix it on their dime rather than just ignore it for 24 months (like they are famous for doing).

For 2017 and later vehicles the TA0022 says under the ACTION paragraph: "Check the primary and transmission oil levels and adjust the oil volumes as needed. Verify oil levels again in 1000 miles. That is no fix, that is merely a kiss-off.

If they don't know why it is transferring after all this time then they need to seek outside engineering help to determine the exact cause and then come up with a fix for all the bikes that are experiencing this phenomenon. My greatest fear is that the MOCO is going to try and sweep this under the carpet and hope it all blows over before they have to issue a mass recall to fix these transmissions.

Last edited by texaswiz; 10-13-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:09 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,376 Likes on 4,783 Posts

it was sarcasm

Old 10-13-2017, 10:10 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

I do honestly believe it's an issue at higher RPM's for extended periods of time which I don't do in my normal riding. I do shift at 3500-4000 rpm's quite often though and still no issues. Put it on a dyno and crank her up, ya maybe but why would I? I am going to ride more and worry less and see what happens. For those who can't even ride their bikes like Steve I would be furious that's for sure!!
I normally don't ride my M8 at higher than 3000 rpm's. When shifting I may go to 3500, sometimes 4000. I transferred 6 oz. in 1300 miles. I then topped off the transmission, drained and refilled the primary. (tranny 6 oz. low, primary 6 oz. high). I rode the bike a little over 300 miles. The transmission level went from high mark to low mark. It's not just a high rpm thing. There are M8 owners that have tried to get their's to transfer by running them hard and they still didn't transfer. Conclusion - some do, some don't, some will and some won't.

Last edited by $tonecold; 10-13-2017 at 11:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid transfer service bulletin