Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission fluid transfer service bulletin

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 09:24 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Not my cup of tea ,but you could have used one of the derby screws as a vent . A nozzle for a injector with a screen in it would work.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:27 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,377 Likes on 4,784 Posts

Originally Posted by Porkwrice

Here is the vented derby cover that I was talking about.....took me about 30 minutes to drill and tap the cover to accept the 1/8 NPT brass elbow and the compression fitting took care of the 1/4” inch copper tube.....I was just going to do it as an experiment but I kind of like the way it looks so I will leave it...

beauty truly is in the eyes of the beholder I guess

The following 2 users liked this post by mjwebb:
BrandonSmith (05-11-2019), Greg Di (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 09:43 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,540 Likes on 2,146 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb

beauty truly is in the eyes of the beholder I guess
Yeah not my thing either, but props for ingenuity!

Old 05-10-2019, 05:50 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 866 Posts

Well, at least it'll take a while for the oil to migrate up about 6" before it marks its territory on your garage floor.

And I suppose it's less permanent and cheaper than putting a hole in the primary cover or inner primary. If HD ever gets off their asses and permanently fixes the problem you'll only have to buy a derby cover.

Last edited by Mattbastard; 05-10-2019 at 05:52 AM.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:49 AM
Porkwrice
Intermediate
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
Well, at least it'll take a while for the oil to migrate up about 6" before it marks its territory on your garage floor.

And I suppose it's less permanent and cheaper than putting a hole in the primary cover or inner primary. If HD ever gets off their asses and permanently fixes the problem you'll only have to buy a derby cover.
That’s kind of what I was thinking, cheaper just to weld up the derby cover if I wanted to take it back off and blend the weld back in and polish it back up....never know it was there.....there is no oil transfer anymore so I don’t have to worry about the primary being filled up with tranny fluid and making it way up the copper tube and onto the garage floor....the vent that Harley puts into the inner primary is down lower....so that one would probably be an issue if I still had my oil migration problem after the tranny dumps 14-18 OZ into the primary...

Last edited by Porkwrice; 05-10-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:01 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by Porkwrice

Here is the vented derby cover that I was talking about.....took me about 30 minutes to drill and tap the cover to accept the 1/8 NPT brass elbow and the compression fitting took care of the 1/4” inch copper tube.....I was just going to do it as an experiment but I kind of like the way it looks so I will leave it...
Hmmm....interesting look! Curious to see how much oil ends up on your rear tire and wheel. Be safe with that setup on turns.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:07 AM
Porkwrice
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Hmmm....interesting look! Curious to see how much oil ends up on your rear tire and wheel. Be safe with that setup on turns.
I have a little over 1,000 miles with it.....seems fine to me, and Its up higher than the one Harley puts into the inner primary....soooooo if you haven’t heard of that happening already then I think I am set. Thanks...ride safe out there with those MOCO fixes!!

Old 05-10-2019, 09:32 AM
cruisinmann
Road Warrior
Received 1,808 Likes on 628 Posts

Its venting vacuum so I doubt any oil should come out, the Harley vent is higher and to the rear

Old 05-10-2019, 09:45 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by cruisinmann
Its venting vacuum so I doubt any oil should come out, the Harley vent is higher and to the rear
The Harley vent is from the top of the transmission, not the primary. Not sure if there is likely to be more oil pushed out of a primary vent at that height and location vs the location that HD researched for their fix. A hard leaning turn to the left could result in a bunch of oil getting blown out that vent tube at speed.

Last edited by Heatwave; 05-10-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:47 AM
Porkwrice
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Heatwave
The Harley vent is from the top of the transmission, not the primary. Not sure if there is likely to be more oil pushed out of a primary vent at that height and location vs the location that HD researched for their fix. A hard leaning turn to the left could result in a bunch of oil getting blown out that vent tube at speed.
Oh, for some reason I thought that Harley was installing a primary vent on the inner primary to “fix” the transfer issue....hmmmmmm.....and you are saying it’s on the transmission....interesting,...maybe in its stock form....and since the copper tubing goes up past the top of the primary, I will be fine....thanks though

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid transfer service bulletin