Sponsored by:

Transmission fluid transfer service bulletin

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 11:28 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Jazz
Does anyone know of a transmission that has failed because of the low oil problem? I had my bike serviced at 1K miles, then rode about a thousand miles to Scotland. When I returned I checked the oil and had to add just over half a litre to bring it back onto the stick. I am more than a bit worried that the transmission may have suffered through lack of oil. I have about 18 months left on the warranty, but knowing my luck the transmission will explode the day after warranty runs out. Dealer has done the”fix” but it has made no difference whatsoever. Oil still venting to the primary !!! Not at all happy !!

Cheers !
Not aware of a single transmission failure due to low oil...yet. Also, I assume when you say “the fix”, you mean the HD fix? And not the new clutch pushrod fix?

Old 10-22-2018, 06:10 AM
painey
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 115 Posts

Does anyone know of a transmission that has failed because of the low oil problem? I had my bike serviced at 1K miles, then rode about a thousand miles to Scotland. When I returned I checked the oil and had to add just over half a litre to bring it back onto the stick. I am more than a bit worried that the transmission may have suffered through lack of oil. I have about 18 months left on the warranty, but knowing my luck the transmission will explode the day after warranty runs out. Dealer has done the”fix” but it has made no difference whatsoever. Oil still venting to the primary !!! Not at all happy !!

Cheers !
Check the thread 'The fix is in' $tonecold's REAL fix will solve all your problems, there is NO help from HD on this issue yet, just their band-aid that does not work!

Old 05-09-2019, 12:32 PM
Porkwrice
Intermediate
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TomcatCV62
I wonder why mine has yet to do it? After 3000 miles do you think I shouldve seen something? Its amazing to me that you go to the dealers and they say nothing, although it doesnt surprise me, they dont want to cut their own throat. So..... My bike is perfect throughout warranty period then it starts transferring, what do you do then? LOL..... trade in? Man, there was nothing wrong with my 2010 ultra....... nothing wrong with my current bike either so I guess i will deal with it if or when it happens.
My 2019 started doing it from day one.....I had it for a month now and put 3000 miles on it in the first three weeks, that’s when I noticed it happening because of the 1000 mile maintenance, I drained the fluids and measured all of the quantities.....only 14 OZ came out of the tranny and about 44 OZ came out of the primary......so I topped off all the fluids per the manual and tracked it....it got worse.....every 300 miles or so it would dump about 16OZ into the primary.....so I just ended up installing my own vent on the derby cover and then put a bigger pushrod in.....about 100 bucks to do the mods....and it’s fixed. I am not going to hold my breath to wait for the MOCO to fix anything. Too much riding to do....ride safe out there!

Old 05-09-2019, 12:35 PM
Porkwrice
Intermediate

Cheers !
Do the bigger pushrod deal man.....it worked for me and lots of others

Old 05-09-2019, 12:38 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,376 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by Porkwrice
My 2019 started doing it from day one.....I had it for a month now and put 3000 miles on it in the first three weeks, that’s when I noticed it happening because of the 1000 mile maintenance, I drained the fluids and measured all of the quantities.....only 14 OZ came out of the tranny and about 44 OZ came out of the primary......so I topped off all the fluids per the manual and tracked it....it got worse.....every 300 miles or so it would dump about 16OZ into the primary.....so I just ended up installing my own vent on the derby cover and then put a bigger pushrod in.....about 100 bucks to do the mods....and it’s fixed. I am not going to hold my breath to wait for the MOCO to fix anything. Too much riding to do....ride safe out there!
so you first did the vent and the results weren't satisfactory so you put the bigger pushrod in which resolved it?..that's how I'm interpreting your statement anyway..or were both done concurrently so tough to validate which did the most good? good thing is you solved your problem

Old 05-09-2019, 12:43 PM
Porkwrice
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mjwebb
so you first did the vent and the results weren't satisfactory so you put the bigger pushrod in which resolved it?..that's how I'm interpreting your statement anyway..or were both done concurrently so tough to validate which did the most good? good thing is you solved your problem
Sorry, I should have clarified that.....I was getting ready to go on a trip to Arizona the following morning and I didn’t want to deal with any issues of finding out that the pushrod didn’t work, so I did the vent at the same time.....sooooo, I guess I am not exactly sure if one works better than the other by themselves......BUT, it is fixed. Put about 1,500 miles on it since, and have zero transfer issues, which would have been catastrophic if I tried to do that before the mods.

The following 2 users liked this post by Porkwrice:
cruisinmann (05-09-2019), mjwebb (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 03:23 PM
wevsspot
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

so I just ended up installing my own vent on the derby cover and then put a bigger pushrod in.....about 100 bucks to do the mods....and it’s fixed. I am not going to hold my breath to wait for the MOCO to fix anything. Too much riding to do....ride safe out there!
How did you vent the derby cover?

Old 05-09-2019, 04:01 PM
Porkwrice
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wevsspot
How did you vent the derby cover?
Used a brass elbow 1/8 NPT with a compression fitting connecting 1/4” copper tubing that goes up to the highest point of the primary housing and over to the back of the primary......all held in place with chrome clamps using the bolts from the primary cover.....it actually has a nice look to it after I got done and polished it. Not sure how to post pics here yet, otherwise I would show you. Ride safe man!!

Old 05-09-2019, 06:31 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,540 Likes on 2,146 Posts

Used a brass elbow 1/8 NPT with a compression fitting connecting 1/4” copper tubing that goes up to the highest point of the primary housing and over to the back of the primary......all held in place with chrome clamps using the bolts from the primary cover.....it actually has a nice look to it after I got done and polished it. Not sure how to post pics here yet, otherwise I would show you. Ride safe man!!
We’d certainly like to see your homemade solution.

Click the little photo icon (10th from the left, looks like a mountain with a sun, or moon). Once the pop up opens, navigate to the photo you want to post... Hopefully you cam figure it out from there....

Last edited by Mchad; 05-09-2019 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:53 PM
Porkwrice
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mchad
We’d certainly like to see your homemade solution.

Click the little photo icon (10th from the left, looks like a mountain with a sun, or moon). Once the pop up opens, navigate to the photo you want to post... Hopefully you cam figure it out from there....

Here is the vented derby cover that I was talking about.....took me about 30 minutes to drill and tap the cover to accept the 1/8 NPT brass elbow and the compression fitting took care of the 1/4” inch copper tube.....I was just going to do it as an experiment but I kind of like the way it looks so I will leave it...

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid transfer service bulletin