Sponsored by:

Transmission fluid transfer service bulletin

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 01:51 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by StevenL808
I am one of the riders who has been seriously affected by this transfer issue.

At around 1,500k miles, I had my bike serviced under the service bulletin TA00022 (replacing the crankshaft seal and spacer). Soon after that I would experience a transfer of about 14 oz of transmission fluid about every 300 miles. Each time, I've been taking it back to my dealer and having them adjust the fluid levels of the transmission and primary. Each time they documented how much fluid transferred and the mileage. After about the 4th time of taking it back for fluid adjustments, the motor company sent a tech to examine my bike.

I met with the tech today and he said he installed what looks like a small plastic disc about 2" in diameter on the transmission side of the clutch push rod, right where the hydraulic clutch actuator meets the clutch push rod. The idea is that it will block excess fluid of traveling down the clutch push rod to the primary. He then rode my bike for about 200 miles at both highway speed and though city traffic. He returned to the shop and there was no transfer at all! Based on my track record, there would have been some transfer.

I now have that task of riding it and bringing it back in 1000 miles to have them check it. Only time will tell, but it looks promising!

My theory seems to have been validated. The fluid was traveling down the clutch push rod and into the primary. I further believe that since I do a lot of city riding (I commute 20 miles a day to/from work) this action was acting like a "pump" and causing it to transfer. Unlike someone who would pull the clutch a few times and ride for 50+ miles before pulling the clutch again.
I think there's ONE more thread you can post this same post too. lol

Old 01-12-2018, 02:50 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
I thought I was losing my mind there for a few minutes. De ja vu or something.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:53 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbyway
I thought I was losing my mind there for a few minutes. De ja vu or something.
lol nope.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:15 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,690 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by StevenL808
I am one of the riders who has been seriously affected by this transfer issue.

At around 1,500k miles, I had my bike serviced under the service bulletin TA00022 (replacing the crankshaft seal and spacer). Soon after that I would experience a transfer of about 14 oz of transmission fluid about every 300 miles. Each time, I've been taking it back to my dealer and having them adjust the fluid levels of the transmission and primary. Each time they documented how much fluid transferred and the mileage. After about the 4th time of taking it back for fluid adjustments, the motor company sent a tech to examine my bike.

I met with the tech today and he said he installed what looks like a small plastic disc about 2" in diameter on the transmission side of the clutch push rod, right where the hydraulic clutch actuator meets the clutch push rod. The idea is that it will block excess fluid of traveling down the clutch push rod to the primary. He then rode my bike for about 200 miles at both highway speed and though city traffic. He returned to the shop and there was no transfer at all! Based on my track record, there would have been some transfer.

I now have that task of riding it and bringing it back in 1000 miles to have them check it. Only time will tell, but it looks promising!

My theory seems to have been validated. The fluid was traveling down the clutch push rod and into the primary. I further believe that since I do a lot of city riding (I commute 20 miles a day to/from work) this action was acting like a "pump" and causing it to transfer. Unlike someone who would pull the clutch a few times and ride for 50+ miles before pulling the clutch again.
Only one problem here, unless this is a new and improved disk it did not do **** for several of us that got it installed last year!

The following users liked this post:
MotoJockey (01-12-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 06:27 PM
RFC1962
Tourer
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Is there a certain build date that falls into this problem? I just took delivery of a new 17 FLTRU. Build date 3/17 . Is this a random issue or pretty widespread. Should have done more homework before signing on the dotted line. Can't ride for a few more months here on Ohio. F$#&k Me!

Old 01-12-2018, 07:39 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,375 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by RFC1962
Is there a certain build date that falls into this problem? I just took delivery of a new 17 FLTRU. Build date 3/17 . Is this a random issue or pretty widespread. Should have done more homework before signing on the dotted line. Can't ride for a few more months here on Ohio. F$#&k Me!
oh crap, hate to be the bearer of bad news..but 3/17 builds are the most problematic!

Old 01-12-2018, 08:09 PM
RFC1962
Tourer
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
oh crap, hate to be the bearer of bad news..but 3/17 builds are the most problematic!
I hope your ball busting!

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (01-12-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 08:32 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,375 Likes on 4,783 Posts

I hope your ball busting!
I don't think build dates have isolated or identified anything..you have a much better chance of not having an issue than having one..congrats and enjoy the ride this year!

Old 01-12-2018, 09:03 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

The good news is that if you don't ride the bike you won't have the issue..

Old 01-12-2018, 09:40 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Sorry about your riding problem, it was nice here in the Phoenix area today. Supposed to be even better tomorrow.

When you get the chance, just ride your bike and enjoy it. You have a better chance of not having problems than you do of having them.

Hey Max, how slick does the sealing surface for a seal have to be. The machinist said it was polished. If I run my finger nail across it I can just barely feel the bit tracks. To the touch it feels smooth. Should I do something else to finish it or just go with it and see how it does?

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid transfer service bulletin