Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission fluid transfer service bulletin

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 06:48 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Interesting, but probably just a byproduct of the primary venting into the trans.
Let us know when your trans oil level actually rises - that would be a surprise.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:56 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,922 Likes on 3,290 Posts

Since every bike prior to the EVO shared the primary and transmission oils I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. Same with any sportster.

I know it's not supposed to happen but trust me, because the two have seepage it won't leave you on the side of the road broke down.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:40 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
Well folks I did it... I put some dye in my primary. I wanted to prove or disprove the theory I proposed about ten days ago (12-2) that the trans and primary oils are transferring not only from the trans to the primary, but also vice versa.

Yesterday, at 5,009 miles, I changed all the fluids - engine, trans, and primary. I contemplated putting dye in the primary but did not do so. This morning I had a change of mind so I pulled the derby cover and poured in 1/2 oz. of ACDelco 4 in 1 Fluorescent Dye.

Tonight, at 5,102 miles, I unscrewed the trans dipstick with my blacklight in hand and before I even removed the dipstick I could see the fluorescent glow of the trans oil in the dipstick threads. It's only been 93 miles since I added the dye to the primary and it's already showing evidence of transfer from the primary to the transmission! I never expected that I would see this evidence so quickly.

So for whatever it's worth to those of you investigating the trans-to-primary transfer issue, here's another data point and a more-than-likely unexpected one at that. The oils in my bike are moving both ways, to and from, both the trans and the primary.

I'm not sure at this time how this new information might impact the ultimate fix, but based on my findings, the scope of the investigation just grew a little bit.

So did you check the tranny oil with a black light before you added the dye?

Old 12-13-2017, 10:09 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
Well folks I did it... I put some dye in my primary.

So for whatever it's worth to those of you investigating the trans-to-primary transfer issue, here's another data point and a more-than-likely unexpected one at that. The oils in my bike are moving both ways, to and from, both the trans and the primary.

I'm not sure at this time how this new information might impact the ultimate fix, but based on my findings, the scope of the investigation just grew a little bit.
Well there you have it: not only do these hydraulic clutch/transmissions SUCK but they BLOW too. Not too surprising. This story just keeps getting "curioser" and "curioser" as time goes by. I wonder what tomorrow will bring? Hey MOCO engineers, are you getting all this?

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (12-13-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 11:30 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
So did you check the tranny oil with a black light before you added the dye?
No I didn't.

I never even considered that as my bike has never had any dye in it before this episode. But I am so glad that you raised this question...
AND NOW I FEEL LIKE SUCH AN IDIOT.

Here's why.

After pondering your question momentarily I went out to the garage. I do have the old oil I drained from the transmission saved in a glass jar so I checked it with the black light. And wouldn't you know it, it has the same green fluorescent hue as the oil in the trans right now. I also checked some new Formula+ and some new Mobil1 20W-50. The new Formula+ showed the same green fluorescent hue, the Mobil1 not so much.

I even pulled the dipstick out of my other bike (Softail Duece) that has Formula+ in the trans and it exhibited the same green fluorescent hue and it has never had any dye in it.

There is something in the Formula+ that gives off this hue under the blacklight and that skewed my interpretation of what I was seeing.

So... At this point I now have to say that my dye test findings are inconclusive. I'm not saying with certainty that they are wrong, as the dirty appearance of my trans oil is still an indicator that this transfer is occurring, but they are definitely inconclusive at this time.

I sincerely apologize. I pride myself in sharing accurate and knowledgeable information on this forum. I failed at that big time on this one.

Last edited by 2black1s; 12-13-2017 at 11:38 AM.
The following 11 users liked this post by 2black1s:
DC2009EGUC (12-13-2017), dnespolo (12-14-2017), Fatarrow (12-14-2017), FM500 (12-13-2017), GPHDXLC (12-13-2017), kap1 (12-13-2017), Max Headflow (12-13-2017), MotoJockey (12-13-2017), PA1195 (12-13-2017), skid_pimp (12-13-2017), SWMB (12-13-2017) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-13-2017, 12:08 PM
PA1195
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Maybe get some red dye or whatever HD uses to test for transfer and put it in the primary. Still time to test your theory and don't feel bad about the black light picking up maybe a false hit.

Years ago black lights were used to source auto oil leaks so maybe it's not the right equipment for this job. Not sure what's in oil that the light reacts to.

Last edited by PA1195; 12-13-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:29 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

As stated a different color dye would be good.. Even a different tranny oil. While getting some darkness in the oil might imply that some crap came from the primary. Maybe there is some other source.. Maybe the gear box is simply doing it. Some of the bearing cages are black. Black oxide wearing off snap-rings? (seems like that would be magnetic) Maybe it's coming from a different source..

Old 01-12-2018, 12:00 PM
StevenL808
Intermediate
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Personal experience UPDATE 1/12/2018

I am one of the riders who has been seriously affected by this transfer issue.

At around 1,500k miles, I had my bike serviced under the service bulletin TA00022 (replacing the crankshaft seal and spacer). Soon after that I would experience a transfer of about 14 oz of transmission fluid about every 300 miles. Each time, I've been taking it back to my dealer and having them adjust the fluid levels of the transmission and primary. Each time they documented how much fluid transferred and the mileage. After about the 4th time of taking it back for fluid adjustments, the motor company sent a tech to examine my bike.

I met with the tech today and he said he installed what looks like a small plastic disc about 2" in diameter on the transmission side of the clutch push rod, right where the hydraulic clutch actuator meets the clutch push rod. The idea is that it will block excess fluid of traveling down the clutch push rod to the primary. He then rode my bike for about 200 miles at both highway speed and though city traffic. He returned to the shop and there was no transfer at all! Based on my track record, there would have been some transfer.

I now have that task of riding it and bringing it back in 1000 miles to have them check it. Only time will tell, but it looks promising!

My theory seems to have been validated. The fluid was traveling down the clutch push rod and into the primary. I further believe that since I do a lot of city riding (I commute 20 miles a day to/from work) this action was acting like a "pump" and causing it to transfer. Unlike someone who would pull the clutch a few times and ride for 50+ miles before pulling the clutch again.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:15 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by StevenL808

At around 1,500k miles, I had my bike serviced under the service bulletin TA00022 (replacing the crankshaft seal and spacer). Soon after that I would experience a transfer of about 14 oz of transmission fluid about every 300 miles. Each time, I've been taking it back to my dealer and having them adjust the fluid levels of the transmission and primary. Each time they documented how much fluid transferred and the mileage. After about the 4th time of taking it back for fluid adjustments, the motor company sent a tech to examine my bike.

I met with the tech today and he said he installed what looks like a small plastic disc about 2" in diameter on the transmission side of the clutch push rod, right where the hydraulic clutch actuator meets the clutch push rod. The idea is that it will block excess fluid of traveling down the clutch push rod to the primary. He then rode my bike for about 200 miles at both highway speed and though city traffic. He returned to the shop and there was no transfer at all! Based on my track record, there would have been some transfer.

I now have that task of riding it and bringing it back in 1000 miles to have them check it. Only time will tell, but it looks promising!

My theory seems to have been validated. The fluid was traveling down the clutch push rod and into the primary. I further believe that since I do a lot of city riding (I commute 20 miles a day to/from work) this action was acting like a "pump" and causing it to transfer. Unlike someone who would pull the clutch a few times and ride for 50+ miles before pulling the clutch again.
I guess this would be the "fix" that the MOCO rolled out to dealers about a month or so ago. Only time will tell if this is a good fix or not. Be sure and keep us posted on your experience.
This piece of plastic does make sense but I am wondering why it isn't made of metal for longevity?

Old 01-12-2018, 12:28 PM
ramblin5
Road Master
Veteran: Army
Received 229 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by StevenL808

Sounds like a fix. Sure hope I can get a million and a half miles out of my bike.

The following users liked this post:
skid_pimp (01-12-2018)

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid transfer service bulletin