Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission fluid transfer service bulletin

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 01:33 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts

makes a guy winder if you take your bike in, let them set the level, come back in 1000 miles to verify the transfer, then you take over from there and adjust on your own for the next 5000 miles. Are you opening the door for them to deny you because you can't prove you adjusted the levels every 1000 miles? I know it's a big unconvince too deal woth the dealership every 1000 miles, but maybe it'll take the dealers being slammed with this work and the MoCo having to pay for it for them do something as drastic as figuring out the fix.

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 02:00 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
makes a guy winder if you take your bike in, let them set the level, come back in 1000 miles to verify the transfer, then you take over from there and adjust on your own for the next 5000 miles. Are you opening the door for them to deny you because you can't prove you adjusted the levels every 1000 miles?
I hate using this term but... Mag vs Moss. They cannot require you use their service to maintain warranty. You can do it yourself as the law provides, TA0022 or not.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:48 PM
xyzzyxyzzy
Tourer
Received 160 Likes on 101 Posts

A few questions. Are the dealer checks/fluid adjustments done at no charge to the owner? I sure hope it's a freebie. It's not the bike owner's fault that their bike is having an oil migration issue. And if the checks/fluid adjustments are done at no charge to the owner, I wonder if the dealer doing the work is billing H-D corporate for their time to do it? Now that would be an interesting development as that would put a little (well, very little) direct financial pain on H-D to hurry up with the fix.

GPHDXLC (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 06:11 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Everything that the dealership has done to my bike concerning this issue, including a new tranny, magic seal/spacer, and all fluid replacement/top-offs/checks have all been done for free. I'd be pissed if it wasn't!

Old 11-26-2017, 07:38 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I have a 14, 16, 17 and a 18 with no issues. Talked to the owner of the dealership today. From 14 on they have only had one affected unit. It was a 17 that had the dirty oil pump and the motor was replaced. That bike did have a double whammy as it did have the transfer issue at 20,000 miles. The owner does 30K a year. It had the new seal and spacer. Haven't talked to the owner yet as he went to Florida where he rides all winter.

On this forum there is a hew and cry but on the street it is a very few units impacted. It is not a good thing to experience but it still is a very small percentage of total units.

I have covered a good part of this country on the first three. The 18 has to prove itself yet.

Last edited by lh4x4; 11-26-2017 at 07:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by lh4x4:
Kyle Moore (12-03-2017), SoCalHDMC (11-26-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 03:53 AM
jcjetson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been to the dealer twice for oil transfer issue. each time its been $100.00 which they billed the moco not me. And they want me to return every 1000 miles. It's got to start hurting HD financially.Seems as though it would be cheaper for them to fix it and get it over with. not to mention the bad press and inconvenience for customers/I have to drive over 150 miles round trip.

GPHDXLC (11-27-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 07:35 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 367 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by jcjetson
I have been to the dealer twice for oil transfer issue. each time its been $100.00 which they billed the moco not me. And they want me to return every 1000 miles. It's got to start hurting HD financially.Seems as though it would be cheaper for them to fix it and get it over with. not to mention the bad press and inconvenience for customers/I have to drive over 150 miles round trip.
Good for you. If everyone that has the time to do this, would make the MoCo pay, this would force them to fix this.......Thank you.

Old 12-02-2017, 03:56 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by 103Eagle
Link to your trans oil drained picture.......

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/attac..._57_19_pro.jpg

Thanks for the write up. I do have a question though, that trans oil you drained out seems awful dark/dirty. I never have trans oil look like that, its always pretty much the looks the same as when I put it in fresh........

Anyone else notice how dark it is? Maybe I am missing something.....

Eagle Out
Originally Posted by 2black1s
... You're right when saying that the trans oil is typically pretty clean and new looking at regular changes. That is also my experience. Even so, I didn't even think about that this time around. It could be attributed to the initial wear-in of the gears or it could also simply be the lighting in the photo. At any rate, the color of the oil never even crossed my mind...
3,000 miles later and I drained and measured the trans/primary oils again. This is the second drain and measure process during this 3,000 run. My transfer rate is still approx 2 oz./1,000 mile as it has been all along. But that is not the point I want to explore here.

103Eagle previously commented on the dark/dirty appearance of the oil I drained back at 974 miles. At the time I didn't pay much attention to "appearance" of the oil as it didn't appear too far off from what you might expect on the initial oil change.

This time around, when I drained and measured the oils to characterize the oil transfer rate, the transmission oil did appear much dirtier than one would expect. Not quite as dirty as the primary oil, which is expected for the primary, but approaching that appearance.

So the point I want to bring up here is this... By the looks of my trans oil I am now thinking that this transfer issue is not a one-way street. I'm suspecting that the oils are transferring both ways, from trans to primary and vice-versa.

In my case, and I assume most others, the net result is more transfer from the trans to the primary than the other way around as evidenced by the loss of trans fluid and gain of primary fluid, but fluid transfer appears to be occurring in both directions.

Has anyone else studying this transfer phenomenon noticed anything similar?

I know some have added dye to their transmissions to trace the transfer to the primary, but has anyone done the opposite? Added dye to the primary to see if it transfers to the trans?

That may be something I do in the future to prove or disprove my theory.

The similar appearances of the trans and primary oils after 3,000 miles that I saw at this latest drain cycle indicates to me that this transfer is occurring in both directions and none of the cause investigations that I have been reading address, or even acknowledge, that this may be happening.

Thoughts?

Old 12-02-2017, 05:17 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

I thought my 107 was immune to this issue. Nope. Just 400 miles after the 1K service and today it reared it’s ugly head. The transmission dipstick was dry and the primary overflowed when I pull the cover. Ended up with, my best guess, about 10 ounces moving over. Ugh.

Old 12-02-2017, 05:29 PM
Warrior 72
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
I have a 14, 16, 17 and a 18 with no issues. Talked to the owner of the dealership today. From 14 on they have only had one affected unit. It was a 17 that had the dirty oil pump and the motor was replaced. That bike did have a double whammy as it did have the transfer issue at 20,000 miles. The owner does 30K a year. It had the new seal and spacer. Haven't talked to the owner yet as he went to Florida where he rides all winter.

On this forum there is a hew and cry but on the street it is a very few units impacted. It is not a good thing to experience but it still is a very small percentage of total units.

I have covered a good part of this country on the first three. The 18 has to prove itself yet.
What exactly is your point? That those of us who have been inconvenienced, and had our motorcycles lose value should just STFU? Your assuming that your dealer is telling you the truth. Maybe the service departments have been told to tell people that this isn't happening, but if it wasn't a large spread issue there wouldn't have been a bulletin issued. It's a good thing your bikes aren't doing this, but don't lay blame on us that have to deal with this issue.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid transfer service bulletin