Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission fluid transfer service bulletin

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 02:37 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,378 Likes on 4,784 Posts

I had mine documented very early on and that's good enough..if they can't tell me what the problem is and what the subsequent fix is then I have no intention in wasting another minute following up with them until they can

Old 11-15-2017, 02:41 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
It maybe under warranty but so far that warranty is meaningless as the MoCo is doing nothing about fixing the issue to-date and nothing for those of us that cannot ride and enjoy the 30K + investment we have made. Are we supposed to follow their advise of having it checked every 500 miles? That limits those of us that want to take a trip as I have a hard time finding a dealership every 500 on a trip let alone is MoCo willing to pay for the hotels while we have to drop them off and wait for the dealerships to get to them? How about time lost from work over it?

So far their answer has been stick it up where the sun doesn't shine!
Yep, if it was my bike, I'd be bitchin too. I just wouldn't be tryin to cook up a home brew solution on my own. If there was a homebrew concoction to address it, I'd put the concoction repair solely in the hands of the dealership so if it grenades, they own the problem. In the interim, I'd make sure HD and the dealership knew I was losing the value of my bike and expected some compensation if I had significant down time. Maybe a $500 gift card or something. I'd make sure the responsibility for the issue was squarely in the hands of the dealer till it was fixed to my satisfaction.

I wish there was a shortcut but there isn't. Just like there isn't a shortcut on the $4000 upgrade HD still owes me for my stage 4 upgrade. Its a damn shame but prudence says wait til they have a REAL fix before making any further changes.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:11 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,856 Likes on 1,602 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Not sure where you think I'm off-base. Everything I stated is pretty much a summary of thousands of posts.
- Some M8 Hydraulic clutch bikes migrate fluid from Transmission to primary. - Some do it alot.
- Some did it and magically healed themselves.
- Some do it a little.
- Most guys struggle to read the trans dipstick
- Lots of guys have no clue whether it should be checked on the kickstand or upright
- If the dipstick is read low (properly or improperly) many guys add oil to Trans
- Very few guys drain their primary if they have a migration issue
- Lots of theories on the cause.
- No solutions yet for M8 bikes
- No transmissions in bikes with migration issues have "locked up", even after MILLIONS of miles ridden
- 99.9999999% of guys NEVER check their trans fluid level so if there was a serious issue causing mechanical failures, we'd know about it.
- Its a damn frustrating anomaly (I suspect the MoCo agrees)
- Few dealers are familiar with the issue but they are catching up now that there's a TA, even though there's no solution.

I think that sums up a gazzillion posts on the subject. If it were an issue with my bike (which its not), I'd turn my regular stop by my local dealer into a quick fluid level check. If it was low, I'd have them figure it out and address it before I leave. Free of charge and 5 mins out of a regular dealer stop while I have a coffee, BS, looking at the latest bike in the showroom.

Did I miss anything?
You missed the point that there is nothing wrong with refilling the bike yourself.

You can pass judgement on those that do, but we're not going to agree with you.
There is no proof that handling this on your own will cause any damage - you're speculating and you don't even have the issue.
On a trip 5000 miles long I'm not stopping at 5-10 dealerships for coffee. You go ahead and do that.

Last edited by lp; 11-15-2017 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:17 PM
HDs4me
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

- No transmissions in bikes with migration issues have "locked up", even after MILLIONS of miles ridden

Did I miss anything?
so who has an M8 with a Million Miles on it?

Old 11-15-2017, 06:29 PM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by HDs4me
so who has an M8 with a Million Miles on it?
Nobody!

But if there’s 100000 M8s on the road with an average of only 5000 miles each that would mean there’s 500 MILLION miles on M8 transmissions. Hard to believe if the transmission fluid migration was a SERIOUS MECHANICAL ISSUE that we wouldn’t have dozens of threads about M8 transmissions failing left and right in 500 Million miles!!

Last edited by Heatwave; 11-15-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:39 PM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by lp
You missed the point that there is nothing wrong with refilling the bike yourself.

You can pass judgement on those that do, but we're not going to agree with you.
There is no proof that handling this on your own will cause any damage - you're speculating and you don't even have the issue.
On a trip 5000 miles long I'm not stopping at 5-10 dealerships for coffee. You go ahead and do that.
Of course there’s nothing “wrong” with adding fluid to your bike on your own. This isn’t about right and wrong. Its about smart and foolish.

Adding transmission fluid on your own when you know you have a migration issue and you also know that HD is struggling to fix the issue just seems foolish to me. But that’s just me. Your bike has a factory warranty for reason. But go ahead and knock yourself out. Add fluid to your hearts content. So long as you understand you are overfilling your primary and that your dealership doesn't have a record of how much fluid is migrating, go for it. Maybe you’ll have one the magic bikes that stops migration on its own, because adding trans fluid is definitely not going to fix your bike.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:43 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

Of course there’s nothing “wrong” with adding fluid to your bike on your own. This isn’t about right and wrong. Its about smart and foolish.

Adding transmission fluid on your own when you know you have a migration issue and you also know that HD is struggling to fix the issue just seems foolish to me. But that’s just me. Your bike has a factory warranty for reason. But go ahead and knock yourself out. Add fluid to your hearts content. So long as you understand you are overfilling your primary and that your dealership doesn't have a record of how much fluid is migrating, go for it. Maybe you’ll have one the magic bikes that stops migration on its own, because adding trans fluid is definitely not going to fix your bike.
You're some kinda idiot. Drop the sarcasm. No one cares what you'd do. Come back and let us all know how you'd feel if you had the same issue and couldn't ride it more than 200 miles at a time. You.would.cry.like.a.bitch.

You can sit back and DEMAND HD do something since it's under warranty but if THEY CAN'T... what are you going to do? Oh, probably start your own thread dedicated to YOUR "serious" problem.

Hey. Suck it.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:56 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,692 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Nobody!

But if there’s 100000 M8s on the road with an average of only 5000 miles that would mean there’s 500 MILLION miles on M8 transmissions. Hard to believe if the transmission fluid migration was a SERIOUS MECHANICAL ISSUE that we wouldn’t have dozens of threads about M8 transmissions failing left and right in 500 Million miles!!

Sorry but there are plenty of threads going already. MoCo would love to not have everyone talking about the issue but it's way to late for that now. The BS your spitting out still sounds like the company line to me and the fact that your trying to stick up for there terrible customer support is beyond me. How about you just donot read the simple facts here and that many are having the issue! It's much bigger than the MoCo wants anyone to know about and the more you try and cover it up with them, the more its going to come out. I doubt there are 100,000 M8 bikes with 5000 miles on them. Looking at the latest sales numbers reported by MoCo for '17 and 18 model years doesn't support your conclusions at all. The total bike sales for calendar year '17 looks like it will be lucky to cross 200,000 and one needs to remember that those are NOT sold bikes, yet they are shipped bikes to dealers and there are plenty of dealerships with 75+ bikes sitting in inventory. Also that MoCo has adjust those numbers the following year downward for the past several years too.

M8 bikes are not even 50% of there sales yet and the 2018's are doing the same as 2017, transmission issues and sumping issues still coming from STOCK bikes. So after a complete model year in production they are still no closer to solving the issues should be a bigger concern for all of us.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:59 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Sorry but there are plenty of threads going already. MoCo would love to not have everyone talking about the issue but it's way to late for that now. The BS your spitting out still sounds like the company line to me and the fact that your trying to stick up for there terrible customer support is beyond me. How about you just donot read the simple facts here and that many are having the issue! It's much bigger than the MoCo wants anyone to know about and the more you try and cover it up with them, the more its going to come out. I doubt there are 100,000 M8 bikes with 5000 miles on them. Looking at the latest sales numbers reported by MoCo for '17 and 18 model years doesn't support your conclusions at all. The total bike sales for calendar year '17 looks like it will be lucky to cross 200,000 and one needs to remember that those are NOT sold bikes, yet they are shipped bikes to dealers and there are plenty of dealerships with 75+ bikes sitting in inventory. Also that MoCo has adjust those numbers the following year downward for the past several years too.

M8 bikes are not even 50% of there sales yet and the 2018's are doing the same as 2017, transmission issues and sumping issues still coming from STOCK bikes. So after a complete model year in production they are still no closer to solving the issues should be a bigger concern for all of us.
Don't even bother Steve. Dude is a troll on this thread.

Maybe someone can entice him to beg the admins to open up editing old posts so he can change is tune, cover his *** some more on his BS.

BTW, 12 years on this forum Heatwave and we've always been able to edit old posts... until you came along.
We're talking 2-3 million people and accounts running through here with no issues until you. Good job jackass.

Last edited by lp; 11-15-2017 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:07 PM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by lp
You're some kinda idiot. Drop the sarcasm. No one cares what you'd do. Come back and let us all know how you'd feel if you had the same issue and couldn't ride it more than 200 miles at a time. You.would.cry.like.a.bitch.

You can sit back and DEMAND HD do something since it's under warranty but if THEY CAN'T... what are you going to do? Oh, probably start your own thread dedicated to YOUR "serious" problem.

Hey. Suck it.
Lol. Ok, so I’ll tell you how “I’d feel and what I’d do if I couldn’t ride 200 miles”.

As I’ve said multiple times I’d be pissed, frustrated and bummed out. All similar to how I felt dealing with 2 engine failures. But after that it comes down to what can be done about it other than the bitching which I would naturally do at first.

I’d talk with the dealer about their recommendations. Let them inspect the bike and check the fluids. I’d ask how many miles they recommend I ride before THEY check the fluid in the bike. My guess is they are telling owners to ride at least 500 to 1000 miles.

I’d ride the crap out of the bike. And I’d take it back to the dealer, on my schedule and my convenience for THE DEALER to inspect the bike, check the fluids, make whatever changes they need to, and have the fluids correct before I left.

Based on what they find, I’d require them to write down on my receipt when they want to inspect the bike again if its other than the normal service schedule. I would NEVER open the Trans dipstick. I’d ride the crap out of the bike and bring it back to the dealer approximately when they wanted to inspect it again. I would keep doing that until they tell me its fixed and that I can go onto the normal maintenance schedule.

Hardly an inconvenience from my perspective but that’s just how I’d handle it. Free inspections and fluid changes on the MOCos dime for as long as it takes to fix the issue or until I broke the bike. Either way, they have to make it right. No threats, lots of smiles, but relentless with the dealer until the bike was right.

Last edited by Heatwave; 11-15-2017 at 07:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid transfer service bulletin