Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission fluid transfer service bulletin

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 01:50 PM
jcjetson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm new to this forum but my 2017 road king is my 4th harley with over 125000 miles ridden on them. I know that dealers get encouraged by the moco to downplay any item that falls under warrantee. they will deny an issue until it goes off coverage and then turn around and tell the customer that it needs repair. I've heard service personel talk about it when they thought no one could hear. You cannot trust them to do the right thing as I have personal past examples. Find a dealer that will represent you. do the 1000 mile test and have them record the transfer so the moco can't screw you. many who dont will end up paying for the fix if they come up with one.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:03 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Yes, I did that. The problem is, with all of us experiencing the transfer, is that up until now, dealers have DENIED there is any issue. I asked about it at my 2500 mile service. Asked them to check it because I had checked it and it was low. They said ok they'd check it, but denied knowing of any issues regarding transfer of trans fluid to primary. When I picked the bike up, they had NOT checked it, acted like it wasnt a big deal and said oh we'll check it at your next service.

A week or two later before going on a 200 mile ride, the night before I checked it per the OM specifications and it was barely touching the dipstick. I added 4 oz and it was full.

Two months later, as I'm nearing my 5k service, I checked it again. First time checking it in 2500 miles, so no OCD there. It was low again and instead of leaving it low as I should, since I knew my 5k service was coming up, I added another 4 oz.

And to reiterate. I dont check it every 100 miles. I'm NOT going to check it every 100 miles. But when you spend this kind of money on a bike or anything, and there is an issue, you naturally want it resolved. Instead MOCO is denying any issue, which alienates their customers and frankly builds distrust and disdain towards you're dealer and the MOCO.

I'm not concerned enough to worry myself sick about this issue. I imagine there will be a resolution soon enough. What I AM concerned about is MOCO's attitude and the conflicting information about EVERYTHING harley related, not just this issue.
Understood. The lesson to be learned here is....STOP adding fluid to the transmission outside of scheduled maintenance. If you have a concern between scheduled fluid changes or scheduled maintenance, let the dealership diagnose and add fluid if needed. You're more likely to cause more issues than helping your bike by trying to diagnose it yourself and adding fluid outside of the service schedule recommendations.

My view is that given the occurrence of issues reported, this is not the time for owner diagnosis and remedies. Let the dealer handle it. You paid for a Factory Warranty during the first 2 years....USE IT. If they seem unresponsive to your concerns, get another dealer. If you don't have another dealer nearby, contact HD Customer Service at (800) 258-2464 and share your concerns. They will give you a reference # and you'll be fully covered even outside of warranty if there is a transmission issue once there is a record of your concern and it has been confirmed by a dealer.

Think about it....if you believe that your transmission is transferring to the primary, how on God's green earth is adding more fluid to the transmission going to help anything?? All you're doing is flooding the primary case with even more transmission fluid if you're having a fluid migration issue. I fully appreciate the frustration (I'm on my 3rd M8 engine on a $40+k CVO Limited due to sumping issues, so trust me...no one on this thread knows more about frustration with the MoCo than myself), but for heaven sakes, adding more tranny fluid is not helping your bike, your money, your warranty coverage or anything else at this stage in the game. If the MoCo wanted you to add trans fluid on your own between the scheduled maintenance periods, the latest SB would have given those instructions.

Last edited by Heatwave; 11-14-2017 at 02:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rockymtman (01-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2017, 07:39 PM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

As for checking the trans on the jiffy stand, or level, I would be willing to bet the level is the same if you check it both ways....

Old 11-14-2017, 08:22 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by skid_pimp
As for checking the trans on the jiffy stand, or level, I would be willing to bet the level is the same if you check it both ways....
It is close but not the same...

I've checked mine both ways during an oil change. The bike is upright on my table lift while I do the oil change and initial filling. When I roll the bike off the table lift it takes about an additional 1 1/2 ounces to bring the oil level back to where it was on the table lift.

While 1 1/2 ounces is not that significant in terms of trans function, if you are investigating this transfer issue you better be checking it the same way every time if you want accurate results.

Last edited by 2black1s; 11-14-2017 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:31 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Understood. The lesson to be learned here is....STOP adding fluid to the transmission outside of scheduled maintenance. If you have a concern between scheduled fluid changes or scheduled maintenance, let the dealership diagnose and add fluid if needed. You're more likely to cause more issues than helping your bike by trying to diagnose it yourself and adding fluid outside of the service schedule recommendations.
A lot of us are well beyond that. HD doesn't have a fix at the moment. If we want to ride the bike a couple thousand miles in one direction we'd have to stop at some random dealer (which is ok for some) and wait hours for them to do what you can do for yourself in just 3 minutes. I'm speaking of folks like me where HD is aware of my bike's issue and it's already documented.

I've had about 16-25 extra ounces in the primary a few times without any clutch/primary issues, so I just keep adding. If something goes wrong from doing that, I'll take it in, but I've been lucky so far.

Last edited by lp; 11-14-2017 at 08:32 PM.
103Eagle (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 09:05 AM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

If guys insist on checking the tranny fluid every 100 miles, then take the same OCD and take the bike to the dealer for them to confirm or reject your concern. Ride on!
Well having this issue and lack of MOCO solutions, I CHECK MINE every ride. Why? Not because I have OCD but I cant go 1000 miles between checks, my trans would be empty. Matter of fact, cant go 500 miles with oil still showing on the stick. And yes, I have the dealer check/top off and or drain as needed as per TA0022. Still I don't want to have the trans lock up on me while I am trying to enjoy it. If I am off the stick prior to a ride, then I call the dealer and have them come pick up the bike and service it under warranty, or I have them put it in writing that it is safe to ride in that condition, or put it in writing that I need to add oil. Being I am in Ohio and the weather has soured, not much real time to enjoy the bike or need to add oil at this time.......

Considering your statement, I assume you do not have this issue with an M8....sorry for your sumping issues, they all suck!

Eagle Out

Last edited by 103Eagle; 11-15-2017 at 09:09 AM.
GPHDXLC (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 09:23 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by 103Eagle
Well having this issue and lack of MOCO solutions, I CHECK MINE every ride. Why? Not because I have OCD but I cant go 1000 miles between checks, my trans would be empty. Matter of fact, cant go 500 miles with oil still showing on the stick. And yes, I have the dealer check/top off and or drain as needed as per TA0022. Still I don't want to have the trans lock up on me while I am trying to enjoy it. If I am off the stick prior to a ride, then I call the dealer and have them come pick up the bike and service it under warranty, or I have them put it in writing that it is safe to ride in that condition, or put it in writing that I need to add oil. Being I am in Ohio and the weather has soured, not much real time to enjoy the bike or need to add oil at this time.......

Considering your statement, I assume you do not have this issue with an M8....sorry for your sumping issues, they all suck!

Eagle Out

No, I have not had fluid migration. I have my dealer check at normal service intervals and when I was having the engines replaced. I’m reading about guys adding 1 or 2 ounces to tranny when most of you can’t agree on whether to check the tranny fluid on the kickstand or upright. There’s a reason the tranny dipstick requires a tool to check. Its NOT meant to be checked every ride.

Its your bike of course so add all the oil you want till your hearts content. But don’t be surprised down the road if you’ve done more damage than good by continuously adding oil. Let the dealer handle it till they have a fix.

There are 10’s of thousands of M8 bikes on the road. With MILLIONS of miles on them. I’m sure a certain % of those bikes have trans fluid migration, some even serious. Have you heard of a SINGLE trans lockup? NO, probably because there is a fluid equilibrium that prevents totaling removing all oil from tranny. Enough fluid remains to maintain proper lube. Adding more oil is just flooding the primary. If there were ANY reports of trans lockup, this would be a different issue.

I am beginning to more fully appreciate why HD took oil pressure and oil temp readings away from us. I am confident we are one step away from HD making the Trans a sealed unit that can only be serviced by the dealer just like most cars today.

Last edited by Heatwave; 11-15-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:33 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Lol!!! No problems with my M8??? I’m on my 3rd engine in a 2017 CVO Limited. First 2 engines failed from sumping. HD shipped new engines and the dealership installed at no charge. And you guys are whining about adding 1 or 2 ounces to tranny when most of you can’t agree on whether to check the tranny fluid on the kickstand or upright. There’s a reason the tranny dipstick requires a tool to check. Its NOT meant to be checked every ride.

Its your bike of course so add all the oil you want till your hearts content. But don’t be surprised down the road if you’ve done more damage than good by continuously adding oil. Let the dealer handle it till they have a fix.
Ok new engine failures are terrible, but please don't dismiss or demean others who have, according to your attitude, a less serious issue.

We're not whining because we're having to add 1 or 2 oz of fluid. We're upset because Harley yet again denies the issue and makes it seem like the customers are idiots and either dont know how to check their fluids, or that we're imagining it, or even that 8 oz gone in 5k miles is natural. AND they contradict what the manual says is the proper way to even check the trans fluid.

I understand your point about owners maybe shouldn't add fluid when its low. But come on. The manual even instructs the owner to add if needed. Not once does it mention WHY it would be low, and not once does it say IF its low DONT do anything other than bring it to a dealer. I am now resolved to not add any more fluid, simply because I finally have it on record. But I will continue to check it, as instructed by the manual and if its low I will take it in to the dealer.

No one that I've seen has belittled your sumping problems.

Last edited by teedoff65; 11-15-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:40 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 367 Likes on 256 Posts

Lol!!! No problems with my M8??? I’m on my 3rd engine in a 2017 CVO Limited. First 2 engines failed from sumping. HD shipped new engines and the dealership installed at no charge. And you guys are whining about adding 1 or 2 ounces to tranny when most of you can’t agree on whether to check the tranny fluid on the kickstand or upright. There’s a reason the tranny dipstick requires a tool to check. Its NOT meant to be checked every ride.

I agree with the last part. If your bike has the problem have a dealer refill and drain so it is on record and a paper copy. Refiling on your own may come back to bite you in the end.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:20 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,690 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Have you heard of a SINGLE trans lockup? NO, probably because there is a fluid equilibrium that prevents totaling removing all oil from tranny. Enough fluid remains to maintain proper lube.
Well it appears your buying MoCo marketing crap hook line and sinker. The last time my personal bike was ridden 80 + miles and had nothing showing on the stick. Dealer said "ride it in" as they had contacted MoCo again. On the way in, the transmission was making noise, it was taking more throttle than normal to ride and each time you slowed it felt like you put the brakes on without doing so. The transmission was drained and only 4oz of fluid came out! So where is your equilibrium point because it sure as the hell isn't known by the bikes on the road!

The following 3 users liked this post by Steve Cole:
$tonecold (11-15-2017), FM500 (11-15-2017), teedoff65 (11-15-2017)

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid transfer service bulletin