Sponsored by:

Transmission fluid transfer service bulletin

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 08:59 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 367 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
Hey, that's normal, they all do that. So sayeth the Almighty MoCo (now). Sounds to me like they're sayin' you'll just have to live with it - again!
I know, but this makes me sad, I love Harleys. I waited all year till the 18s came out, I always buy late Nov or in December here in Mi. The dealers are slow then and I feel I get better pricing. Then comes TA0022, that stopped me in my tracks. If I got one that did this and had to refill oil on one side then drain the other I would be sick to my stomach.
My brother wants a new RG and another friend is looking for a new SG. I have not told them about this yet, but I feel I need to before they buy. Will be up to them if they want to take the chance, I just want them informed. I have a copy of TA0022 so they can make up there own minds.

The following users liked this post:
ocezam (11-07-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 09:07 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
I know, but this makes me sad, I love Harleys. I waited all year till the 18s came out, I always buy late Nov or in December here in Mi. The dealers are slow then and I feel I get better pricing. Then comes TA0022, that stopped me in my tracks. If I got one that did this and had to refill oil on one side then drain the other I would be sick to my stomach.
My brother wants a new RG and another friend is looking for a new SG. I have not told them about this yet, but I feel I need to before they buy. Will be up to them if they want to take the chance, I just want them informed. I have a copy of TA0022 so they can make up there own minds.
Maybe you could also steer them to this forum. It's helped me to avoid making costly, bad decisions many times over the years.

No doubt the MoCo will eventually admit and address this and other issues with these bikes - but when? - god only knows!

Old 11-06-2017, 12:15 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
You willing to share a copy of that TA? or a link to where we could get one?

Im scheduled for my 5000 service this week, if the rain lets up, and I told them I have some transfer issues and want them to check it. I'd like to be well informed what the document says so they cant debate any points with me.
You can see I dont really trust this dealership....based on past experience just since I bought this bike from them back in June.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:35 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65

Im scheduled for my 5000 service this week, if the rain lets up, and I told them I have some transfer issues and want them to check it. I'd like to be well informed what the document says so they cant debate any points with me.
You can see I dont really trust this dealership....based on past experience just since I bought this bike from them back in June.
See post #32 in this thread.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:36 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Or post #28.......

Old 11-06-2017, 12:46 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Ahh Sorry guys. So many of these threads on transferring issues I missed it.

Thanks!

Old 11-06-2017, 06:29 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 367 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65

It's on this Thread , like the other 2 said.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:51 PM
Mad Monk
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So why isn't this issue being reported here?

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2017/HARLEY-DAVIDSON

Add a slash and enter a letter code (FLRH i.e) or use there sites functions to search models.

Not one complaint? Hmmm...

Old 11-06-2017, 09:56 PM
Carlos3621
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

I clicked on fltrxs, and there are 2 complaints and 1 recall.
Maybe try harder?

Old 11-06-2017, 10:22 PM
Mad Monk
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carlos3621
I clicked on fltrxs, and there are 2 complaints and 1 recall.
Maybe try harder?
I don't need to try harder, I can't effing find them. post the URL that shows this issue specifically please! The recall is for an oil clip (but nice try to discredit the post). The recall was done on my bike. I don't see any complaints for transfer from transmission to primary on any model '17 or '18. Now, I see it goes back to '14 and haven't looked at those yet.

On a side note, recently at a dealer I visited, I saw the back of the shop truck and saw what looked like a pile of trans's in the back. Hmmm. Just because you assume I'm trying to derail, this, I'm not. I'm looking for more ammo. You got it, post it, you don't, take your 'tude elsewhere. I don't have time for it.

For everyone else... How would a trans that dried out completely or nearly dried out look on the inside? What would failure do? My bike is about to be ripped apart to the frame, that includes changing the primary cover. I want difinitive things to be looking for. I will ask that the mechanic drain the trans and primary separately, but what else can I do since I never checked the trans independently of the primary when draining?

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid transfer service bulletin