Sponsored by:

Transmission fluid transfer service bulletin

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 07:29 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,692 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by TomcatCV62
I haven’t actually checked my tranny level in about 2 months...... I’m afraid to. I probably should.
Hey, according to MoCo you don't have to worry about it any longer as its now "Normal" for fluid to transfer. So ride it until it burns itself up then drop it off at the local dealership. Just hope it doesn't happen a day after the warranty expires!

Old 10-31-2017, 04:53 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Hey, according to MoCo you don't have to worry about it any longer as its now "Normal" for fluid to transfer. So ride it until it burns itself up then drop it off at the local dealership. Just hope it doesn't happen a day after the warranty expires!
Yes sir, that’s when it’ll happen to me.....

Old 10-31-2017, 05:55 AM
jcjetson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem with that is that overfilling the primary can cause the clutch to slip and/or not fully disengage(a bitch when trying to stop). definitely not "normal"! Isnt it time we thought about a class action suit. everyone chips in $100.00. 5k people would be 500k for attorneys to start.

Old 10-31-2017, 06:46 AM
borrec
Cruiser
Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

I would hope everyone that has had this has filed a complaint with NHTSA. I have and also with the BBB.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

The following 2 users liked this post by borrec:
GPHDXLC (10-31-2017), prowler58 (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 04:24 AM
jcjetson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Went to Vermont dealer after 1000mile test ride .tranferred 2 oz. dealer called moco. engineer said they have no fix at this time told me to do another 1k ride. dealer said he thought they were stalling until a fix was found. ,but we have it on recored and they will have to honor warrantee. owners that dont know about this are going to be screwed!!!

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 07:39 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 367 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by jcjetson
Went to Vermont dealer after 1000mile test ride .tranferred 2 oz. dealer called moco. engineer said they have no fix at this time told me to do another 1k ride. dealer said he thought they were stalling until a fix was found. ,but we have it on recored and they will have to honor warrantee. owners that dont know about this are going to be screwed!!!
Good that you know it and are working with your dealer and them with you. I have been wondering how many have this problem and don't know it. If a dealer is doing all the service, they just pop out all the drain holes at 1 time and let them flow and the tech leaves to do other things.
I always have my dealer do the 1000 service and I take it from there. I have hung out when they drained my bike, they pay no attention as to how much comes out of each hole, I see nothing wrong with that and always considered it normal. Now that they have TA2200 they should be looking for it.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:20 AM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
Good that you know it and are working with your dealer and them with you. I have been wondering how many have this problem and don't know it. If a dealer is doing all the service, they just pop out all the drain holes at 1 time and let them flow and the tech leaves to do other things.
I always have my dealer do the 1000 service and I take it from there. I have hung out when they drained my bike, they pay no attention as to how much comes out of each hole, I see nothing wrong with that and always considered it normal. Now that they have TA2200 they should be looking for it.
According to the SM at my local dealer, since they became aware of the issue, they have changed procedure on all touring bikes for oil changes etc. Now they pull the derby cover to inspect level, and check trans level prior to any service. Now do they do this for real? Hell if I know.....just passin along what I was told.

Eagle Out

Old 11-01-2017, 09:24 AM
Hd589
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by jcjetson
The problem with that is that overfilling the primary can cause the clutch to slip and/or not fully disengage(a bitch when trying to stop). definitely not "normal"! Isnt it time we thought about a class action suit. everyone chips in $100.00. 5k people would be 500k for attorneys to start.
5k people???
I would be surprised if you found 500 affected people at this point.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:05 AM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 103Eagle
Heck we may have the record for the amount of different threads dealing with the same issue (oil transfer). I am loosing track of which one I posted or read......think there are about 4 or 5 all dealing with the same issue........
Eagle Out
Yep. Keeping these threads straight with current bookmarks so I can get to where I left off quickly has been one of my major hobbies the last six months. Can't say I'm enjoying this hobby much though...

The following users liked this post:
103Eagle (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 10:08 AM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by FurryOne
Here's pretty good proof that my M8 is transferring oil from the tranny to the primary. I changed the tranny to Redline, and the primary has whatever they used at the 1K service. One photo says it all... the primary oil at the time I changed to Redline in the tranny (I drew some out into a container) and the oil in the primary after 2K miles. The bleed from the tranny is obvious from the color change.
And that's just another reason this problem sucks. at 5k miles I'd normally be running shockproof in the tranny but feel that mixing lubes in the primary is a bad idea. Therefore, Formula+ in both holes for the foreseeable future.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid transfer service bulletin