Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission fluid transfer service bulletin

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 09:08 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,276 Likes on 4,444 Posts

When people get so smug in their self-righteousness, I would go out of my way to rub their nose in it if I could....

Originally Posted by 2013superglideseattle
Both guys in the service counter have the same demeanor. They both played as if there is nothing wrong with my bike. They both said not to believe anything I read on the forums.
Print out a copy of TA0022 dated 9/27/17... go hand it to them and say, "Hey, look what I found on a forum. I guess you can't believe anything you hear from a service counter...." If you want, you can throw in a "Bitches" at the end just for effect...

Originally Posted by not a sock
Just before I hung up he told me he would have to forget everything he knows about physics if this oil transfer was true.
Go show him a copy of TA0022 and say, "So much for your alleged knowledge of physics" ...

Last edited by hattitude; 10-26-2017 at 09:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rockymtman (01-13-2018)
Old 10-26-2017, 09:13 PM
Carlos3621
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Soon as this riding season is over, I plan on buying a spare derby cover and rigging up a vent on it, just to see if that helps.
Harley is not allowed to do this as it would not pass EPA regs.
But it should work if vacuum is the culprit

Old 10-26-2017, 09:27 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos3621
Soon as this riding season is over, I plan on buying a spare derby cover and rigging up a vent on it, just to see if that helps.
Harley is not allowed to do this as it would not pass EPA regs.
But it should work if vacuum is the culprit
Easy enough to Just drill the top blind hole thru and install a vented screw.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:32 PM
Carlos3621
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sixguns
Easy enough to Just drill the top blind hole thru and install a vented screw.
Yes!, but maybe also fitting some sort of baffle on the inside of the derby cover to avoid splash clogging up the vent hole👍

Birdog (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 09:41 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos3621
Yes!, but maybe also fitting some sort of baffle on the inside of the derby cover to avoid splash clogging up the vent hole��
Old Harleys vented the transmission with a vented screw. point is, it would be easy to test your idea to see if it works.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:41 PM
HDcycleguy17
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

This all seems insane to me. No way that for this much $$$ we should be expected to do these "fixes".
I am not aware of any issues with my 114 Fat Bob, but I honestly have not looked yet. I plan to take the document posted here into the dealer when I go for my service and specifically ask to have it looked at. I don't have a lot of experience with their service department to know if I will get a run-around. Seriously, for this much money wrenching know-how should not be a pre-requisite to own

Old 10-26-2017, 10:02 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by HDcycleguy17
This all seems insane to me. No way that for this much $$$ we should be expected to do these "fixes".
I am not aware of any issues with my 114 Fat Bob, but I honestly have not looked yet. I plan to take the document posted here into the dealer when I go for my service and specifically ask to have it looked at. I don't have a lot of experience with their service department to know if I will get a run-around. Seriously, for this much money wrenching know-how should not be a pre-requisite to own
Your bike has a cable actuated clutch, because of the design of the side cover and the slinger on the end of the mainshaft you’re not going to have a transfer problem. Sumping on the other hand may be in your future!

Old 10-26-2017, 10:07 PM
HDcycleguy17
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by $tonecold
Your bike has a cable actuated clutch, because of the design of the side cover and the slinger on the end of the mainshaft you’re not going to have a transfer problem. Sumping on the other hand may be in your future!
Ugh!! I have seen those comments too! I guess I will have to shift to asking about that potential issue now. I forgot about the cable clutch part, but I will say that it shifts magnificently. Smoothest shifting Harleys I am told, and I am inclined to believe it.

Old 10-27-2017, 01:20 AM
StevenL808
Intermediate
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by StevenL808
Well now things are getting serious! After the dealer replaced a seal and a sleeve, I rode my bike for less than 200 miles and I’ve had to add in fluid. I extracted about 10 ounces of fluid from the primary! Then less than 50 miles later I had to add another six ounces to the trans. The bike is going to the dealer tomorrow.

Stay tuned!
Update: The tech said the motor company said to drain an refill, noting how much was put in. Return the bike to the dealer after 1000 mi so they can measure it. During this time, they told me do not add any fluid to the trans even if it’s low. Yikes! But if it doesn’t even register on the dipstick, it’s going back regardless of the number of miles I’ve ridden.

Thingfish (10-27-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 02:09 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by HDcycleguy17
Ugh!! I have seen those comments too! I guess I will have to shift to asking about that potential issue now. I forgot about the cable clutch part, but I will say that it shifts magnificently. Smoothest shifting Harleys I am told, and I am inclined to believe it.
Asking your dealer is not going to help right now.

Best thing you can do is keep your warranty intact and just ride the snot out of it. Leave the worrying to the guys that have to pay to fix it...which will not be you if it sumps under warranty.

IF it breaks....then deal with it. Don't borrow trouble. Ride your awesome 114 and enjoy.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid transfer service bulletin