Sponsored by:

Transmission fluid transfer service bulletin

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 10:34 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by StevenL808
Well now things are getting serious! After the dealer replaced a seal and a sleeve, I rode my bike for less than 200 miles and I’ve had to add in fluid. I extracted about 10 ounces of fluid from the primary! Then less than 50 miles later I had to add another six ounces to the trans. The bike is going to the dealer tomorrow.

Stay tuned!
So I take it your transfer problem is worse now than it was before they operated? It appears the MOCO is wasting a lot of resources replacing seals and sleeves with poor results.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:38 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
What exactly is right at this point, lol! I just had my Tech drain an extra 8 Oz.'s laced with dye out of my primary today after 1700 mile. I guess that qulifies as more right that what StevenL808 just went through! He's right up there with Steve Cole!
You got that Right, there all over the place, from none to some and then these real bad ones. This issue will be one for the books thats for sure, Right?

Old 10-24-2017, 11:52 PM
StevenL808
Intermediate
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
So I take it your transfer problem is worse now than it was before they operated? It appears the MOCO is wasting a lot of resources replacing seals and sleeves with poor results.
The seal they replaced was on the crank shaft. This didn’t make sense to me because I wasn’t losing engine oil so why the crank shaft? But what do I know?

Old 10-25-2017, 01:14 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,025 Likes on 4,067 Posts

At least they are learning that this fix ain't.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:27 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

The seal they replaced was on the crank shaft. This didn’t make sense to me because I wasn’t losing engine oil so why the crank shaft? But what do I know?
I could be wrong here but I will take a stab at this one. I believe the thought process here is the motor is pulling a vacuum on the primary and thus pulling tranny fluid into the primary.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:42 AM
JHC210
Club Member
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Subscribed.

Is this issue occurring on all M8's (17 and 18's)? Or specific models? I just bought a 17 Limited Low. Only have around 300 miles on it.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:12 AM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by JHC210
Subscribed.

Is this issue occurring on all M8's (17 and 18's)? Or specific models? I just bought a 17 Limited Low. Only have around 300 miles on it.
According to the TA, it happens on SOME 2014 and up years of all touring models with hydraulic clutches. The TA was posted here in the forums.

Eagle Out

Old 10-25-2017, 10:42 AM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
At least they are learning that this fix ain't.
Originally Posted by TomcatCV62
I could be wrong here but I will take a stab at this one. I believe the thought process here is the motor is pulling a vacuum on the primary and thus pulling tranny fluid into the primary.
That is the thought process. I don't know how the MOCO determined that, but seeing that quite a few of the bikes that have had the seal and spacer replaced have either seen no improvement or seen a worsening of the problem I think they need to take a different route. The vacuum apparently causes no problems other than tranferring transmission lubricant. If they were to seal off the transmission and vent the primary they would solve the problem. I know how to do it, but not having the MOCO's resources I'm not sure I'll be able to make it work. That doesn't mean I won't try, just waiting on parts.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:43 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts

That is the thought process. I don't know how the MOCO determined that, but seeing that quite a few of the bikes that have had the seal and spacer replaced have either seen no improvement or seen a worsening of the problem I think they need to take a different route. The vacuum apparently causes no problems other than tranferring transmission lubricant. If they were to seal off the transmission and vent the primary they would solve the problem. I know how to do it, but not having the MOCO's resources I'm not sure I'll be able to make it work. That doesn't mean I won't try, just waiting on parts.
The separate venting of the 2 chambers is not a cost effective solution for the MoCo, besides the obvious part changes they would have to have the bikes re-certified through EPA/CARB which would be costly to them. They would have to perform the shed test all over again. I'm in agreement that this would be the best solution if it's a venting issue. But I would be surprised if HD isn't looking for the cheapest way out of this. They've already put it out that a certain amount of transfer (I believe it is "under 5 oz between normal service intervals" is within tolerance for them. Seams to me like they are already trying to get out of some of the warranty claims. What's next? If they can't get it figured out will they just raise the spec. to 8oz? 10oz?

Old 10-25-2017, 02:06 PM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by harleytuner
The separate venting of the 2 chambers is not a cost effective solution for the MoCo, besides the obvious part changes they would have to have the bikes re-certified through EPA/CARB which would be costly to them. They would have to perform the shed test all over again. I'm in agreement that this would be the best solution if it's a venting issue. But I would be surprised if HD isn't looking for the cheapest way out of this. They've already put it out that a certain amount of transfer (I believe it is "under 5 oz between normal service intervals" is within tolerance for them. Seams to me like they are already trying to get out of some of the warranty claims. What's next? If they can't get it figured out will they just raise the spec. to 8oz? 10oz?
I realize that there are circumstances of which I have no knowledge that may hinder some possible fixes. Even though we are talking about venting them separately, they could both be vented to the transmission top cover. I can't imagine that what I am talking about being more expensive than replacing the seal and spacer two or three times and then having to buy back bikes that they have failed to fix. How there can be an acceptable amount of transfer between two cavities that don't necessarily have the same lubricant in them is not something I am willing to accept. My bike will easily transfer more than five ounces between service intervals and would exceed 8 or ten oz. in 5000 miles. I am not sure they can just walk away from this like they did the crankshafts that were out of spec.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid transfer service bulletin