Sponsored by:

Transmission fluid transfer service bulletin

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 11:12 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by VDeuce
Cable conversion. I know I would if any where near end of warranty.
Originally Posted by MotoJockey
I know that if they came out with a conversion kit to go back to cable I'd jump on it in a heartbeat! I really don't like the hydraulic clutch. It took so long to get used to it and then my bike was in the shop for over 2 months. When I got it back, it was like I had to learn it all over again. Sounds like a lose/lose situation for both HD and me....... Tranny fluid migration for them and jerky clutch action for me.
I ran down all the parts this morning. Buying most of them on Boardtracker and the small parts from the dealer the cost was $462.50. You can save about $20 if you go with a chrome side cover and around $100 if you go with an older style one piece cable. Maybe more if you go aftermarket. If you don't do your own labor there will of course be that cost.

The following 2 users liked this post by $tonecold:
hattitude (10-14-2017), MotoJockey (10-14-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 12:17 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Nice research man! And that price is with a new Clutch Perch and Lever? And now for the ever famous question........ "Wonder if that'll mess up my warranty?" LOL.......

You got me thinkin' buddy.........

Are you looking at doing this $tone? Love to see how it turns out!

Old 10-14-2017, 01:05 PM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
Nice research man! And that price is with a new Clutch Perch and Lever? And now for the ever famous question........ "Wonder if that'll mess up my warranty?" LOL.......

You got me thinkin' buddy.........

Are you looking at doing this $tone? Love to see how it turns out!
It does included the clutch lever bracket and the lever. The bracket is different, but the levers are the same ones since 2008. The front brake lever has been the same since '06. That means you could use after market if you want for levers. I took these numbers from the '18 Low Rider and Fat Bob, but it looks like the ones from the 2015 Road King would work too and some parts are a little less expensive. It would save $125 right off the bat on the cable alone. That gets it down around $340.

I don't know about the warranty part.

I probably won't do this unless everything else fails. I've got some ideas about what causes this and what to do about it. I also want to see what the MOCO comes up with. If they finally fix it I won't bother.

I'll do a formal list in a day or two with part numbers and part descriptions. If someone wants to go there they will have the info.

Last edited by $tonecold; 10-14-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:33 PM
teeroy_
Road Warrior
Received 266 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
I have a 2017 SGS but also have a 2015 BMW RT1200, my beamer has 20k miles on it and I run the ever living hell out of that bike, zero problems with it, dealer services it every 6k miles. I'm sure BMW is just like Harley, some have issues, some don't. My 17 SGS has 10k miles and other than a oil line leak it has been great (knock on wood) guess my point is, any brand can have issues even the almighty Honda, I'm gonna service and take top notch care of what I've got and hope for the best. Keep rollin on 2!
yessir. all manufacturers including BMW has their fair share of issues. final drive leaks, electrical nightmares...there is a huge campaign currently underway to replace upper fork tube stanchions that are pulling out of the tubes on 2014-2017 GS models with the tele lever front suspension.

Old 10-14-2017, 10:10 PM
oleboy
Road Master
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
yup..I and a 'few' others that actually 'own' M8's kinda' sorta' like them...but you on the other hand, non M8 owner, and TC lover, spend a lot of time on the M8 Forum bashing M8's, very strange behavior.....real piece of work you are
Look Mike - I said some of them were transferring fluid. You got your panties in a twist because I said something negative about them. What I said has been confirmed by HD with the release of that document.

I said in my opinion they are turds stock. Again you got your panties in a twist because I said something negative about them. If you like them stock, great. I don't.

Just because I don't own one doesn't mean I cannot have an opinion about them.

Enjoy your bag of donuts.

Old 10-14-2017, 10:34 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Default Hydraulic to Cable Conversion

I spent some time this morning looking up and pricing the parts needed to convert a hydraulic clutch touring model to a cable actuated clutch. It is not that expensive and I believe it would be a sure cure for the transfer problem. There are those of you that would do it just to get back the positive feel and action of a cable clutch and I can say that I understand that. I have attached the list and the part numbers to this post. Much of the list is parts that have been around a long time and used on many models, so if you wanted to look around the garage, the next swap meet, or on the classified you could probably reduce the cost. At $358 it is not cost prohibitive.

Attached Files

Last edited by $tonecold; 10-14-2017 at 10:36 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by $tonecold:
Max Headflow (10-15-2017), MotoJockey (10-15-2017), skid_pimp (10-14-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 10:53 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,376 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by oleboy
Look Mike - I said some of them were transferring fluid. You got your panties in a twist because I said something negative about them. What I said has been confirmed by HD with the release of that document.

I said in my opinion they are turds stock. Again you got your panties in a twist because I said something negative about them. If you like them stock, great. I don't.

Just because I don't own one doesn't mean I cannot have an opinion about them.

Enjoy your bag of donuts.
yup, you're opinion..("I said in my opinion they are turds stock.") ....quite the contrary to the what's been said about them..guess you just have much higher standards and discriminating tastes than everyone else..jeez, wonder why M8 owners on an M8 Forum who love their M8's which are being largely touted as the best production V Twin engines HD has ever made in their 115 year history would take offense to someone calling them "turds"..go back to enjoying your donut holes in private

The following users liked this post:
badcooky (10-14-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 11:08 PM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
I spent some time this morning looking up and pricing the parts needed to convert a hydraulic clutch touring model to a cable actuated clutch. It is not that expensive and I believe it would be a sure cure for the transfer problem. There are those of you that would do it just to get back the positive feel and action of a cable clutch and I can say that I understand that. I have attached the list and the part numbers to this post. Much of the list is parts that have been around a long time and used on many models, so if you wanted to look around the garage, the next swap meet, or on the classified you could probably reduce the cost. At $358 it is not cost prohibitive.
That is some nice research, thanks for the share!

Old 10-14-2017, 11:32 PM
oleboy
Road Master
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
yup, you're opinion..("I said in my opinion they are turds stock.") ....quite the contrary to the what's been said about them..guess you just have much higher standards and discriminating tastes than everyone else..jeez, wonder why M8 owners on an M8 Forum who love their M8's which are being largely touted as the best production V Twin engines HD has ever made in their 115 year history would take offense to someone calling them "turds"..go back to enjoying your donut holes in private
You don't have to try and justify your purchase of one of them to me. I have ridden them. They are turds stock. Once HD gets the bugs worked out of them I'll purchase one and build it. Until then, I'll just keep riding around on my TC "vendor modified rattle trap".

Old 10-15-2017, 12:16 AM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by oleboy
You don't have to try and justify your purchase of one of them to me. I have ridden them. They are turds stock. Once HD gets the bugs worked out of them I'll purchase one and build it. Until then, I'll just keep riding around on my TC "vendor modified rattle trap".
Not that I really want get in on MJ and your little ya ya session here, but I have owned 5 TC's and still own the last one I bought. When the TC's came out they out performed the Evo's stock to stock. Now we have the M8's and they out perform the TC's stock to stock, that is not just my opinion, that's a fact. I am building a 117 ci. TC and really expect it to out perform anything I have seen of M8's modified to 117 ci., but the M8's are still in their infancy and the products to make them perform like the TC's haven't been developed yet. I know you're gigging MJ about this and I don't blame you for wanting the bugs worked out of them, it had been my original plan to do just that also, but I took the plunge and I am glad I did, bugs and all. The M8 is still the best stock Harley I have ever ridden. It also appears to have the potential for substantial power gains with little modification (pipe, AC, the right cam). If I had kept my '09 with the 117 ci. I would have been thousands of dollars ahead, but at 63 I figured I should get the bikes I want and enjoy them as much as possible. None of us know when we might have to hang up the two wheel vehicles because of age and infirmity.

The following 3 users liked this post by $tonecold:
badcooky (10-15-2017), SWMB (10-15-2017), TomcatCV62 (10-15-2017)

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid transfer service bulletin