Sponsored by:

Is a Stage 1 upgrade Worth it

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 09:54 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts
Default Is a Stage 1 upgrade Worth it

Thinging about having a Stage 1 done on my Bike what are the benefits i will get from doing a Stage one ???

Old 10-02-2017, 10:21 AM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,527 Posts

To me, the major benefit of a stage 1 is sound, and that will greatly depend on the slip on you choose. There are other benefits, slight bump in power but nothing that is going to blow you away. Depending on the tuner you can get a slightly cooler running engine. I'm no expert so I'm sure benefits can better be explained but the sole reason I did the stage one was for better sound. I was not looking for performance.

Old 10-02-2017, 10:22 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,366 Likes on 4,777 Posts

well here I go again but since you asked..can't believe how much better my engine runs over an already great running one from the factory..100% Screaming eagle Stage 1...so the red line is the Stage 1 calibration from the SEPST, the blue is dyno tuning with the SEPST....great performance upgrade for $1500 and still kept warranty..highly recommend..good luck

don't listen to people who criticize the numbers..it's a significant improvement in drivability, breathes better and is more efficient..and not only resulted in a smoother torque delivery but shifted it South from 3500 stock to 3000....makes me grin from ear to ear every ride

Attached Thumbnails Is a Stage 1 upgrade Worth it-img_0588.jpg  

Last edited by mjwebb; 10-02-2017 at 10:27 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by mjwebb:
CdnNavyChief (03-12-2018), JatoTheRipper (09-16-2021), prowler58 (01-28-2020), Thingfish (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 10:28 AM
jgos929
Road Warrior
Received 219 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
well here I go again but since you asked..can't believe how much better my engine runs over an already great running one from the factory..100% Screaming eagle Stage 1...so the red line is the Stage 1 calibration from the SEPST, the blue is dyno tuning with the SEPST....great performance upgrade for $1500 and still kept warranty..highly recommend..good luck

Where is the dyno from stock to stage 1??? Id hardly call a 6tq and 2hp bump a worthy investment at $1500

Old 10-02-2017, 10:40 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by jgos929
Where is the dyno from stock to stage 1??? Id hardly call a 6tq and 2hp bump a worthy investment at $1500
didn't get one, but it would have been below the red line, besides that it's more like 10 tq and 5 hp, to say otherwise would be to believe the SE Stage 1 didn't provide any gains..brought it back for dyno tune after previously just having the base calibration installed....once again, numbers don't illustrate the overall performance improvements..bike has plenty of power all in the right places for a touring bike

edit re: "Id hardly call a 6tq and 2hp bump a worthy investment at $1500"

worth is subjective and this is certainly not an "investment"..I go by value..increasing performance and drivability ain't free...I'm very satisfied with the value I received and enjoy riding it much more than I did prior to spending the $1500..people spend $1500 at the drop of a hat on chrome doohickies and doodads and are happy about it

Last edited by mjwebb; 10-02-2017 at 11:34 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by mjwebb:
bizi (10-12-2017), I forgot my username (10-05-2017), Super2k (01-26-2020)
Old 10-02-2017, 10:48 AM
Drodrigueznyc
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

stage 1 is expensive but needed for all other stages after that. The other stages build on that. Not much in gained from the stage 1 but you should get better sound, which is probably the main reason consider it. Power starts to get a little more interesting once you jump on the stage II, III, IV phases. If you're only looking to improve sound, get some really nice mufflers. You may not need to do anything else.

Old 10-02-2017, 10:51 AM
T Prescott
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Sound and a little power as said. You should for future modes like a cam.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:58 AM
jgos929
Road Warrior
Received 219 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
didn't get one, but it would have been below the red line, besides that it's more like 10 tq and 5 hp, to say otherwise would be to believe the SE Stage 1 didn't provide any gains..brought it back for dyno tune after previously just having the base calibration installed....once again, numbers don't illustrate the overall performance improvements..bike has plenty of power all in the right places for a touring bike

edit re: "Id hardly call a 6tq and 2hp bump a worthy investment at $1500"

worth is subjective and this is certainly not an "investment"..I go by value..increasing performance and drivability ain't free...I'm very satisfied with the value I received and enjoy riding it much more than I did prior to spending the $1500..people spend $1500 at the drop of a hat on chrome doohickies and doodads and are happy about it

If your're putting money into it its an investment. Whether or not the items bought were a good value is up for debate. I'm not knocking what you did and I certainly didn't say you didn't make any gains. You come on here and say look at what it did to my bike and at $1500 it was a steal of a deal. 6tq and 2hp is exactly what that graph shows and IMO that's not a great improvement at $1500. Since you have no before and after from stock to stage one then you're higher numbers are mere speculation and even still 10tq and 5hp aint a whole lot better for the price. I agree 100% that a stage one will wake the bike up, improve drivability and improve the overall riding experience no doubt. Also most important is that you're satisfied with the final product

But with that said you're dyno numbers and the price to get those numbers sure doesn't have me pulling out my credit card ready to buy parts.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:19 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by jgos929
If your're putting money into it its an investment. Whether or not the items bought were a good value is up for debate. I'm not knocking what you did and I certainly didn't say you didn't make any gains. You come on here and say look at what it did to my bike and at $1500 it was a steal of a deal. 6tq and 2hp is exactly what that graph shows and IMO that's not a great improvement at $1500. Since you have no before and after from stock to stage one then you're higher numbers are mere speculation and even still 10tq and 5hp aint a whole lot better for the price. I agree 100% that a stage one will wake the bike up, improve drivability and improve the overall riding experience no doubt. Also most important is that you're satisfied with the final product

But with that said you're dyno numbers and the price to get those numbers sure doesn't have me pulling out my credit card ready to buy parts.
well not sure I used "steal of a deal"..pretty sure I said it represented "good value" to me

re: "But with that said you're dyno numbers and the price to get those numbers sure doesn't have me pulling out my credit card ready to buy parts"

well then your only other option to get more is at the expense of kicking your warranty to the curb, which should be taken into consideration in the value, worth, investment whatever you want to call it equation..so one has to look at the whole picture I guess to draw individual conclusions on how much to spend and is it worth it to them...XXX $$$ means has different value to different folks..either way, OP asked if Stage 1 is worth 'it'...I provided one example with my opinion about my experience..others are free to do the same to try and assist him with his decision

so it comes down to what you are looking to achieve..better running engine, more power and more efficient and keep warranty..or just simply out for getting the most power you can for the money and don't care about warranty..but really, for just a Stage 1...why even bother going aftermarket

guess one last point for perspective..whichever way you go.mufflers, tuner and AC are going to cost you ~$1000..so then you ask are you going to install yourself, get it dyno tuned, etc. my $1500 was for install including dyno tune

Last edited by mjwebb; 10-02-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:54 PM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 451 Likes on 318 Posts

I'll chime in and tell you that the Stage 1 is a complete waste of money on the M8. I. Had the Street Cannons on for about 2000 miles before I opted for the Stage 1. Difference after the Stage 1 and dyno tune.....hardly perceptible at all. On the 2014 103 Bike I had before,
Stage 1 was a very nice bump, on the M8 however, it's not worth it.

Now fast forward to 6000 miles, I did the Stage 2 with the torque cam and now I have a hot rod!! Big difference in power and torque, totally different Bike now. My advice...skip stage 1 and go straight to Stage 2. You need the air cleaner and tuner for either one, but it'll be cheaper to do Stage 2 right off the bat in the long run

The following users liked this post:
Ronbo1 (08-27-2020)

Quick Reply: Is a Stage 1 upgrade Worth it