Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a Stage 1 upgrade Worth it

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 11:35 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

So, here is what I'm going to do with my M8. I bought slip ons, Tab's, love em. I want to get headers, not sure if I should get Rineharts or RCX.... I do like the Trask air cleaner, its really pretty cool. Then I will finish my stage one with a power vision. The following year, I will take a mini vacation and go up to Fuel Moto for my S&S 475 cam. This is my plan, not sure about the exact time frame but I really look forward to tossing the Cat in my Harley header. Now, this is my opinion..... there is no way Id get Harley anything for performance.... YMMV....

Old 04-19-2018, 11:41 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,366 Likes on 4,777 Posts

Originally Posted by TomcatCV62
So, here is what I'm going to do with my M8. I bought slip ons, Tab's, love em. I want to get headers, not sure if I should get Rineharts or RCX.... I do like the Trask air cleaner, its really pretty cool. Then I will finish my stage one with a power vision. The following year, I will take a mini vacation and go up to Fuel Moto for my S&S 475 cam. This is my plan, not sure about the exact time frame but I really look forward to tossing the Cat in my Harley header. Now, this is my opinion..... there is no way Id get Harley anything for performance.... YMMV....
why not get it all done at once? man waiting that year in between Stage 1 and 2 would kill me...then again I get anxious and impatient waiting 1 minute on the Hair Conditioner in the shower

The following users liked this post:
TomcatCV62 (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 11:47 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
why not get it all done at once? man waiting that year in between Stage 1 and 2 would kill me...then again I get anxious and impatient waiting 1 minute on the Hair Conditioner in the shower
LMAO..... My kid is in college, big money, he's killing me and of course he knows more than me. Plus, vacations...... when the wife and I bought the bike she said she wanted to go to Hawaii. Cool thing is, I get to go too. lol.

Didnt know this was an old thread but Im behind the times. Im just still really happy I was able to buy a new Harley. I put the slip ons on the bike 2 weeks ago and It made me extremely happy. My bike is so nice now and I cant wait for the weather to break.

mjwebb (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 12:36 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

well one benefit in waiting is after you upgrade the exhaust, AC and tune you may love it so much you decide to stop there and make an extra college payment with the savings!

TomcatCV62 (04-19-2018)
Old 04-07-2019, 02:46 PM
prerender
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

From personal experiance, It's not worth your money at all. It's probably the dumbest investment you can make if you are looking for performace gains.Here are my Dyno results after installing the best performing parts out there and dyno tuning the bike (2015 Dyna Street Bob).

Parts installed:
  • Bassani Road Rage 3 (2 into 1 exhaust)
  • K&M cone-shaped air intake (AIRCHARGER)
  • Commander V tuner (DynoJet)
Results: Torque increase from 90torque to 95torque (Bike is a 2015 Dyna Street Bob) For 2K you are getting a %5 increase in pull. Keep in mind that these are top performing parts and a Dyno tuned bike with Commander V (DynoJet). You can Max get your 103 Dyna Steet Bob to 100torque with Stage 1 and that's Max 10% increase for 2K.

Drivability: It's better overall but not very noticeable, nothing to brag about or nothing to be proud of. Just a slightly more pull and small improvements here and there. Could even be a placebo effect.

The change after stage 1 is a slightly noticeable one but nothing like you are riding a way more powerful bike. If you think 2K is a good buy just for a slightly more pull, no problem.

I was extremely disappointed when I got the bike back from the Dyno shop. If I knew, I would keep my bike stock just with a slip for a better sound.

Last edited by prerender; 04-07-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-18-2019, 01:22 PM
Las Vegas Jim
Supporter
Received 228 Likes on 149 Posts
Question New Tune Needed?

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
The benefit is being 1200 plus dollar lighter in the wallet with minimal gain. It's more like a placebo effect. Just put in a drop in KN filter and some slip ons. There is really no benefit in upgrading other than telling your buddies that your bike is faster than yours. That money can go to tires, maintenance, farkles, etc....
If you just do a K&N air filter and slip-on mufflers, is a new tuning needed to protect th4 engine?

Old 08-18-2019, 05:17 PM
e6fmf
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Stage I

Originally Posted by PDB17UltraRG
Thinging about having a Stage 1 done on my Bike what are the benefits i will get from doing a Stage one ???

Stage I is a starting point. I did that and then the Stage II. Now I have a rocket. Well worth it IMO.

Old 01-26-2020, 09:08 PM
Super2k
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Did you have to have it dynode after you did the stage one.? Or will the tuner automatically tune it to the best the bike and run with your stage one on it?

Old 01-26-2020, 09:10 PM
Super2k
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
well here I go again but since you asked..can't believe how much better my engine runs over an already great running one from the factory..100% Screaming eagle Stage 1...so the red line is the Stage 1 calibration from the SEPST, the blue is dyno tuning with the SEPST....great performance upgrade for $1500 and still kept warranty..highly recommend..good luck

don't listen to people who criticize the numbers..it's a significant improvement in drivability, breathes better and is more efficient..and not only resulted in a smoother torque delivery but shifted it South from 3500 stock to 3000....makes me grin from ear to ear every ride
Is having the bike dynode after a stage one absolutely critical? Or does the tuner to do it’s job without having it dynode?

Old 01-26-2020, 09:38 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Super2k
Is having the bike dynode after a stage one absolutely critical? Or does the tuner to do it’s job without having it dynode?
No it is not..but in the hands of a skilled dyno operator it will maximize optimal overall running conditions. The SEPST stage calibrations will be 'correct' when the SE parts it was developed for are used and It will run just fine. In between those you have the ability to run auto tune sessions that is intended to help fill the gaps between the base calibration and a 'proper' dyno tune. The SEPST tutorial states dyno tuning is the preferred method for obtaining the best tuning results possible from the SEPST. I'm a believer from my experience. But not spending the extra money doesn't mean your engine won't run great. to me dyno tuning is for the OCD perfectionists and the majority of Harley owners don't get their engines dyno tuned and find them to run satisfactorily.

Last edited by mjwebb; 01-26-2020 at 09:48 PM.
Super2k (01-27-2020)

Quick Reply: Is a Stage 1 upgrade Worth it