Sponsored by:

M8 smoking

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 07:18 PM
stephen1767
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default M8 smoking

Recently purchased 2017 roadglide special after 800 miles started smoking at start up. Took it to dealership they replaced pistons rings and cylinders and new valve seals . Road another 1000 miles serviced it and now smoking at start up again dealership in contact with HD tech they have done all the test they recommend and they decided that it is normal for a puff of smoke at start up and tell me to take bike home I am not satisfied with the decision and I told them I wasn't taking it home until they give me a new engine or bike ,any clue about the problem in having?

Old 09-22-2017, 08:09 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

It's sumping, same symptoms as mine, but they're replacing my engine

Old 09-22-2017, 08:45 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,527 Posts

Blast Celine Dion's "my heart will go on" pull the clutch in and pin it until Leonardo sinks out of sight! Make an appointment for the new M8 to be put in.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:54 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
Blast Celine Dion's "my heart will go on" pull the clutch in and pin it until Leonardo sinks out of sight! Make an appointment for the new M8 to be put in.
I give them two (maybe three) tries at fixing something. If they can't or won't fix a problem I bounce it off the rev limiter until it locks down or catches on fire. That sounds kind of harsh but I get tired of putting up with their BS. I didn't buy a new bike to have it sit in the dealer's shop repeatedly while they decide what is the cheapest fix for them to do.

The following users liked this post:
sn95bullitt (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 10:41 PM
sn95bullitt
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
I give them two (maybe three) tries at fixing something. If they can't or won't fix a problem I bounce it off the rev limiter until it locks down or catches on fire. That sounds kind of harsh but I get tired of putting up with their BS. I didn't buy a new bike to have it sit in the dealer's shop repeatedly while they decide what is the cheapest fix for them to do.
Or drain the oil fire it up and put the oil back in.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:16 AM
artsbest
Tourer
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Get a lawyer and go after them big time man.

Old 09-23-2017, 05:46 AM
stephen1767
1st Gear

Yes I am tired of this crap the dealership said the guy from Milwaukee said there isn t a problem it is normal for a puff of smoke at start up. I went to the dealership yesterday and had the owner walk back to shop and I fired it up and cracked the throttle and it filled the whole shop with smoke!! I said how can you say that **** is normal and I heard crickets! He said he would reach out to HD on Monday and tell them he seen it smoking at start up and see what they say meanwhile I am paying for a bike I don't have . They want me to go on and take it but I refuse to!

The following users liked this post:
TDSnowSPR (03-31-2020)
Old 09-23-2017, 06:17 AM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,192 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by stephen1767
Yes I am tired of this crap the dealership said the guy from Milwaukee said there isn t a problem it is normal for a puff of smoke at start up. I went to the dealership yesterday and had the owner walk back to shop and I fired it up and cracked the throttle and it filled the whole shop with smoke!! I said how can you say that **** is normal and I heard crickets! He said he would reach out to HD on Monday and tell them he seen it smoking at start up and see what they say meanwhile I am paying for a bike I don't have . They want me to go on and take it but I refuse to!

Did you mention the word sumping to them and did they perform the test in accordance with the service bulletin? Got another dealer close to you that has a clue?

Have some fun - ask them to start up every other M8 on the floor and see how many of them smoke at start up.

Sugar will get you farther than vinegar to start, but this sounds like it may turn into a whizzin match. If they do nothing take the bike back and when the more severe sumping issues start ride that pig until it quits and then have the warranty work done at another dealer.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:36 AM
stephen1767
1st Gear

Yes I ask them to start up a few other bikes and I actually went out and fired several up and no smoke . As far as the sumping they haven't tested it for that as far as I know I ask them about it and they haven't said I will go back today and get my bike and ask them about it and ask for all the records of what has been done thanks for the input

Last edited by stephen1767; 09-23-2017 at 06:40 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:08 AM
Eric Moore
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I have bikes bikes with over 75k no smoke.
Have them make it right.. get a loaner as long as they have your bike..

Quick Reply: M8 smoking