Sponsored by:

Stage 1 with Street Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 08:54 PM
RCS
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by flstcbob
I put 1500 miles on my RGU with SE air breather, Street Cannons, and just a stage 1 download. I have to say it ran ok, but not quite perfect. Then I did an auto tune, wow what a difference, it now runs great. Looking at the graphs, most of the changes were in the lower throttle area, which really improved the rideability. I should have done the auto tune sooner.
I experienced similar in both ride and graph changes. Have S&S MK45 mufflers & stock air filter. Downloaded the Street Tuner Stage 1 cal and went for a smart-tune ride. Uploaded the ride tune and am very happy with the results from the "seat of my pants" measurement. Really like the higher RPM limit and the higher idle speed.

Why stock air filter? Well, the engines intake stoke can only "gulp" so much air regardless of the XXX CFM air flow thru any filter, and I don't think I've penalized my performance irt a touring bike coupled with a EPA limited tuner. Would a Hi-flow filter get me 1 or 2 more ponies or torque, probably. But the Street Tuner was added due to a change in mufflers (solely for sound), and because HD "recommended" it.

regards,

Old 09-24-2017, 09:30 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,347 Likes on 4,769 Posts

Originally Posted by RCS
I experienced similar in both ride and graph changes. Have S&S MK45 mufflers & stock air filter. Downloaded the Street Tuner Stage 1 cal and went for a smart-tune ride. Uploaded the ride tune and am very happy with the results from the "seat of my pants" measurement. Really like the higher RPM limit and the higher idle speed.

Why stock air filter? Well, the engines intake stoke can only "gulp" so much air regardless of the XXX CFM air flow thru any filter, and I don't think I've penalized my performance irt a touring bike coupled with a EPA limited tuner. Would a Hi-flow filter get me 1 or 2 more ponies or torque, probably. But the Street Tuner was added due to a change in mufflers (solely for sound), and because HD "recommended" it.

regards,
so I was stubborn believing the same thing..put the SE Street Canons on and bought the SEPST because HD states ECM recalibration required and did the Stage 1 calibration..ran real good and was patting myself on the back and posting here about the OEM A/C providing enough air..but curiosity and doubt eventually set in wondering if I could be wrong and leaving something on the table..so put the SE Hi Flow on and it provided a noticeable improvement..so with that being the only thing changed that to me validated that it obviously benefited from more air intake..then the dyno bug bit me with the same curiosity and that put it over the top..significant improvements everywhere over the SEPST calibration

Old 09-24-2017, 09:53 PM
RCS
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
so I was stubborn believing the same thing..put the SE Street Canons on and bought the SEPST because HD states ECM recalibration required and did the Stage 1 calibration..ran real good and was patting myself on the back and posting here about the OEM A/C providing enough air..but curiosity and doubt eventually set in wondering if I could be wrong and leaving something on the table..so put the SE Hi Flow on and it provided a noticeable improvement..so with that being the only thing changed that to me validated that it obviously benefited from more air intake..then the dyno bug bit me with the same curiosity and that put it over the top..significant improvements everywhere over the SEPST calibration
I hear what your saying Mike, but I'm fine with it's current performance. On a side note I checked my transmission level before my Smart Tune ride and again 4 hours after I parked the bike. No measurable change on the stick and my Road King saw numerous 5K plus RPM levels while running thru the gears on the tuning ride. Fingers crossed

regards,

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (09-24-2017)
Old 09-24-2017, 10:08 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,347 Likes on 4,769 Posts

Originally Posted by RCS
I hear what your saying Mike, but I'm fine with it's current performance. On a side note I checked my transmission level before my Smart Tune ride and again 4 hours after I parked the bike. No measurable change on the stick and my Road King saw numerous 5K plus RPM levels while running thru the gears on the tuning ride. Fingers crossed

regards,
yeah, definitely not necessary..and your trans fluid issue should be fine..I still contend it's the major exception rather than the rule...mine has stabilized as well as others have reported..I run it up to 4K as needed and not been an issue, and at that rpm I'm hauling *** through the gears...about time for me to give her a real go at it again and really beat on it to see if it transfers any again