Interesting ECM flash info

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017 | 12:44 PM
Mchad
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member
Default Interesting ECM flash info

I've been playing with the idea of an 18 CVO Road Glide to replace my 16 RGS. However I've been concerned with the settlement and agreement HD made with the EPA which basically requires HD to void the entire powertrain warranty on any 2017 or later model, if an aftermarket tune is detected on the bikes ECM. Thinking maybe a Power Commander could be the solution since it sits inline after the ECM and could easily be removed and undetectable when brought in for any warranty work, I called Fuelmoto to ask about availability.

Here's the interesting part: While talking about it, the rep told me that while they sell the PC for the 17+'s, they don't develop their excellent custom maps for it. However she said if a (dyno tuned or canned) Power VISION map was flashed to the ECM, and the factory map was flashed back to the ECM before bringing the bike to the dealer for service, the dealer system can't detect that the ECM has ever been flashed. Only if the ECM was sent back to HD, could HD corporate tell if it had been flashed before. Maybe there's a hidden log in the ECM, who knows.

I found that very interesting. So basically it would take some major incident for HD to want the ECM sent to them for analysis I expect.

That being said, I wonder if a second ECM could be bought and just swapped in when bringing the bike in? I suspect no, since I think the mileage is kept in the speedo as well as the ECM and the difference may cause an error.

Probably would never be an issue, but I'd hate to have my motor blow up and get a warranty denial for a tune.

Just thinking out loud...

(And yes, I know. I could just leave it alone and let it run with its excessively lean factory tune. But that's not really the question.)

Old 09-20-2017 | 12:55 PM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member

It's your bike to do with what you want..but if you change out any emissions related part to a non EPA approved part you are voiding the a=warranty and breaking the law...we all have to live with our choices

Old 09-20-2017 | 12:55 PM
jgos929
Road Warrior

Even if they cant detect its been tuned (which they will) the air cleaner or aftermarket exhaust will void the warranty

Old 09-20-2017 | 01:04 PM
Mchad
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Scudda
It's your bike to do with what you want..but if you change out any emissions related part to a non EPA approved part you are voiding the a=warranty and breaking the law...we all have to live with our choices
Yes, thank you. I'm quite sure it's HD who voids a warranty, not me. And have you never jaywalked or rode 1 mph over the speed limit?

Originally Posted by jgos929
Even if they cant detect its been tuned (which they will) the air cleaner or aftermarket exhaust will void the warranty
Interesting. There is no mention of intake or exhaust modification in the settlement that I've seen. How do you know they will? Did Fuelmoto provide me incorrect information?

I'm heading over to my dealer tomorrow and I'll ask the GM and service manager about that specifically. I have a good relationship with them.

Thanks

Last edited by Mchad; 09-20-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-20-2017 | 01:14 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member

The M8's run great in stock configuration.

The following users liked this post:
jgos929 (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017 | 01:18 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mchad
Yes, thank you. I'm quite sure it's HD who voids a warranty, not me. And have you never jaywalked or rode 1 mph over the speed limit?

Interesting. There is no mention of intake or exhaust modification in the settlement that I've seen. How do you know they will? Did Fuelmoto provide me incorrect information?

I'm heading over to my dealer tomorrow and I'll ask the GM and service manager about that specifically. I have a good relationship with them.

Thanks
The relationship you have with your dealer is what will make it or break it when it comes to warranty info. I know my dealer would go to any lengths necessary to make sure if the moco was involved in a warranty issue with me personally, they would make sure my bike was in compliance with the factory before they ever showed.

Like they say, "it's to what you know but who ya know."

Mchad (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017 | 01:23 PM
jgos929
Road Warrior

Thanks

There are threads upon threads in this forum with people stating its happened to them or been told it would happen to them, that their warranty would be voided if an aftermarket air cleaner or exhaust is installed on the bike. Thing is you cant install those two without a tune and if you use anything other than SE tuner, intake and exhaust warranty is voided. The dealer may tell you sure they'll honor your warranty with aftermarket parts installed but its not up to them. They have to get a warranty repair approved from corporate and if corporate find out parts other than SE parts are on the bike they'll deny the repair and void your warranty

Just do a little looking in this thread and you'll see there are tons of folks scared to even install slip ons out of fear the warranty will be voided. I'm one of them lol!!!

And yes I believe Fuelmoto told you wrong. When you flash a new tune on the ecm it leaves a foot print even after you flash the stock tune back on

Mchad (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017 | 01:53 PM
DC2009EGUC
Road Captain

Your local dealer will always have your back and always standby you...problem is, if your are 3000+ miles away from home and something happened, what now?

Old 09-20-2017 | 02:07 PM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member

The dealer does not deiced on what is covered by the warranty. They submit the claim to Harley and they deiced. If the dealer told you can can do things to the bike and it will still be covered under the warranty.......it is that dealer that will pay to fix your bike not Harley. If you took the bike to another dealer for the warranty work I would bet they wouldn't pay for something another dealer promised.

Old 09-20-2017 | 02:11 PM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks
Ok let me state this for the 1000 time on this forum. Messing with any and I mean any emissions related equipment, Cams, exhaust, air filters...heads on and motor vehicle that is sold for on road use in the US is and has been illegal for 40 years.

Go buy a brand new Camaro and remove the cats and try and get warranty work or even state inspection in a lot of states and it will fail.

Now up until 2017 did we all change out these parts for aftermarket parts..yup I know I did. but I have a used bike and could give a crap about a warranty.

if you care about your warranty..leave the bike alone...if you chose to use aftermarket parts that will void the warranty....go ahead and do it but stop bitching about the warranty

Quick Reply: Interesting ECM flash info