Interesting ECM flash info

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017 | 03:18 PM
Mchad
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by BatOuttaHell
Hmmmm....what are these "dongles of which you speak? I didn't have anything like that on my '10...I just basically disconnected the O2 sensors as they weren't needed. If these prevent historical codes from being thrown then they sound like the answer to this (non)issue.
I don't own one, only power visions, but see here for an install video on a newer model. Maybe it's only for different years?

Look at about 1:50

Last edited by Mchad; 09-22-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-22-2017 | 08:09 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by BatOuttaHell
The issue I see with the PC-V or FM Micro Tuner is they require you to disconnect your O2 sensors. This will throw two historical codes, one for each cylinder. These codes can't be cleared...at least I couldn't clear them on my '10 Ultra.

The codes could be a good indicator to HD that you were running a Power Commander. I don't see how they could prove it though but it might present a hassle. Just food for thought.
My understanding is that the 02 sensors are not disconnected as much as they are rerouted through the PC-V. The o2's are always in the loop, that loop is given new information courtesy of the fuel management device.

Old 09-22-2017 | 08:42 PM
Mchad
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Softy
My understanding is that the 02 sensors are not disconnected as much as they are rerouted through the PC-V. The o2's are always in the loop, that loop is given new information courtesy of the fuel management device.
The install video I posted just before yours appears to show the o2 sensors are not connected to the ecm. Some form of plug they call an "optimizer" replaces them, I expect to eliminate errors which would result is they were simply unplugged. Looks to me like the PC-V is designed to run in open loop mode full time.

Unless that o2 sensor "optimizer" goes in between the sensor and the harness, but I didn't see that in the video. So I can't say for sure.

Last edited by Mchad; 09-22-2017 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-22-2017 | 09:36 PM
BatOuttaHell
Road Master

Originally Posted by Mchad
I don't own one, only power visions, but see here for an install video on a newer model. Maybe it's only for different years?

Look at about 1:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHRqcNIPiIQ
At this point I don't know what the hell to think, lol. I do know that the maps for the PC-V included predetermined AF ratios and did not use the O2 sensors to get them, hence the reason they were disconnected thereby throwing the two codes. This was in 2010 on a '10 FLHTCU and I don't remember any dongles or other connector termination plugs being in the box. I wonder if these are something DJ has added since that time....i dunno. I've run the PV-2 on my last two bikes since then and am really happy with it.

Last edited by BatOuttaHell; 09-22-2017 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-30-2017 | 06:17 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by badcooky
Iceman , I'm not picking a blue with ya mate but Ford might be different to Chev here.
Actually I'm a Ford man .
Ok...not a fight, but if you need more proof...here's my '17 Dyna FXDLS earlier w/under 500 miles on bike. Installed Dobeck AFR+ tuner, DK Customs intake & Firebrand 2-1 exhaust. Took it to dealer and they had no problems w/bike service and/or warranty work (did a recall fix & 1K svs).

Have no idea why pics are upside down, but you get the point.

OK...back on topic.

Interesting ECM flash info-upgrades1.jpg

Interesting ECM flash info-upgrades2.jpg

Old 09-30-2017 | 07:51 AM
Mac-427
Cruiser

The warranty discussion grinds on and on with no end in sight. My 2017 Road Glide Special sat on the floor with dealer installed RC slip-on mufflers, an HD high flow filter and Harley Street Tuner prior my original purchase of the bike, I had the dealer install a catless stock head pipe. Everyone at the dealer, including the service manager, assured me that the only warranty problem I might have would accrue if something broke as a DIRECT CAUSE from the an market part. I’ve decided to let it go at that and quit obsessing about warranty issues I may never have. Particularly because my bike has been completely reliable.

Last edited by Mac-427; 09-30-2017 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-30-2017 | 07:59 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

The thing is aftermarket parts have been on these bikes for many years without being directly linked to any problems that would cause your warranty to be voided.
Now and only because of this lawsuit does it come into play.
I understand that since 1973 changing out parts that were not EPA certified is illegal. But the bikes ran fine with those parts installed and no one questioned them.
I do think the loud obnoxious exhaust play into much of this and this is the only way the EPA can halt that, or at least slow it down. The older I get the less noise I want to hear from my exhaust, maybe that is just me. Hearing a bike go through its shift points up to 3 blocks away seems excessive and I hear that a lot.

Old 09-30-2017 | 08:24 AM
jgos929
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Mr.Softy
The thing is aftermarket parts have been on these bikes for many years without being directly linked to any problems that would cause your warranty to be voided.
Now and only because of this lawsuit does it come into play.
I understand that since 1973 changing out parts that were not EPA certified is illegal. But the bikes ran fine with those parts installed and no one questioned them.
I do think the loud obnoxious exhaust play into much of this and this is the only way the EPA can halt that, or at least slow it down. The older I get the less noise I want to hear from my exhaust, maybe that is just me. Hearing a bike go through its shift points up to 3 blocks away seems excessive and I hear that a lot.
Well said and I agree. I’ve had sportsters and a Breakout with big radius pipes and no baffles. I had a Deluxe with cholos and no baffles. Needless to say those bikes were loud. I get loud pipes is associated with HD in general. But I have to say I’m really enjoying the toned down sound of the M8.

Old 09-30-2017 | 08:51 AM
Mac-427
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jgos929
Well said and I agree. I’ve had sportsters and a Breakout with big radius pipes and no baffles. I had a Deluxe with cholos and no baffles. Needless to say those bikes were loud. I get loud pipes is associated with HD in general. But I have to say I’m really enjoying the toned down sound of the M8.
The above makes sense. My Glide with RC slip-ons is moderately loud when I romp on it, but reasonably quiet when cruising. I do think a bit of noise helps people in cages know we are around which might be a slight help in crash avoidance. I say this fully realizing that the best way to avoid being run down by a motorist in the cel phone "zone" is our own sense of alertness. Now my wife's Sporty 1200 is another matter completely. That little sucker has a Stage One tune and Vance and Hines slip-ons. Believe me, it's gnarley but I really want cage drivers to notice that bright yellow little beast. I also believe that bright colored motorcycles and LED headlights set on bright help somewhat.

Attached Thumbnails Interesting ECM flash info-mustard-and-catsup.jpg  

Last edited by Mac-427; 09-30-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-30-2017 | 10:04 AM
badcooky
Banned

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Ok...not a fight, but if you need more proof...here's my '17 Dyna FXDLS earlier w/under 500 miles on bike. Installed Dobeck AFR+ tuner, DK Customs intake & Firebrand 2-1 exhaust. Took it to dealer and they had no problems w/bike service and/or warranty work (did a recall fix & 1K svs).

Have no idea why pics are upside down, but you get the point.

OK...back on topic.

Attachment 572908

Attachment 572909
Yea but no but yea but nothing had broken down right , just a recall ?

Quick Reply: Interesting ECM flash info