Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting ECM flash info

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017 | 11:37 AM
jgos929
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rmzebo
can the powervision clear codes ? if so, it can probably clear all of the ecm flashes that were done and would leave it untraceable.

That's not how it works. It can clear codes, just about every tuner can do that. The flash is a whole different code and the PV cant erase its foot print

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Total Hogwash...last year my son bought a '16 Mustang GT 5.0L V8 and we (1) swapped intake for CAI, (2) installed headers & dual exhaust & (3) reprogrammed w/tuner at 550 miles on the ODO. Ford had a recall and didn't hesitate to work on his car + the Service Manager went for a ride w/us b/c he loved the sound w/off-road exhaust.

Old 09-21-2017 | 04:50 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Call him.

I'd also consider a Fuel Moto Micro Tuner. Same price, doesnt modify ECM, uses PC-V maps, which Fuel Moto provides.
I used the submit form on his website and received this answer about the item being not for sale.
"We are still updating and testing firmware for the FL-AFXIED-17. We will not release any product until we are happy with the results. We hope to complete the project by the middle of 4Q17."

Looks like we have to wait.

Old 09-21-2017 | 05:34 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by HD_fan
I have a 107 M8 an it will smack my stg1 110 SlimS and my SG is heavier. My point is that the CVO will have a 117 and it will have more power and tq. I see in your sig your 110 has stg1...you will be very happy (for at least a couple of years) with the 117 M8 with just a slip ons. Easy enough to replace back the stock slip-ons if you have to come in for a warranty issue.

My 107 M8 with only slip ons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wwMi13Sd9A&t=7s
You have a point, the OP could put aftermarket mufflers on and not even have to tune it. From what I've seen on this forum the street tuner doesn't have a map for just mufflers. I put slip on's on my 107, no tune, runs just fine. I have been told that if you add a free flowing air filter it should have a tune and I have seen otherwise. Haven't gone there yet.

Old 09-21-2017 | 07:04 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Thank goodness for the remaining states that don't have stupid inspections.
Just a matter of time. Enjoy it while you can.

Old 09-21-2017 | 07:22 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by YPD485
Just a matter of time. Enjoy it while you can.
I disagree, I think the trend is away from emissions inspections. Read a few of the results: https://www.google.com/search?q=what...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Old 09-22-2017 | 04:02 AM
BatOuttaHell
Road Master

Originally Posted by Mchad
I was referring to Power Commander tunes. They are making them for the Power Vision. The difference is the PV is a flash tuner, it uploads a new map to the bikes ECM, which apparently HD can detect, even if the original tune is replaced.

The Power Commander is an older device, still effective, but different in how it works. It's installed after the ECM, so the ECM never sees it. It modifies all the data coming out of the ECM to apply similar modifications. My understanding (I've only owned PV's) is that its pretty effective in the end, as the PV. Just harder to tune I think.

The point was the PC could be installed and provide a great tune, but removed when brought to the dealer, leaving no trace that the owner committed a mortal sin against the EPA as it seems.

I think that's aligned with the PC-V problem - FuelMoto said they weren't providing PC-V maps for the M8's. Maybe they treat the Micro differently.
The issue I see with the PC-V or FM Micro Tuner is they require you to disconnect your O2 sensors. This will throw two historical codes, one for each cylinder. These codes can't be cleared...at least I couldn't clear them on my '10 Ultra.

The codes could be a good indicator to HD that you were running a Power Commander. I don't see how they could prove it though but it might present a hassle. Just food for thought.

Old 09-22-2017 | 05:43 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BatOuttaHell
The issue I see with the PC-V or FM Micro Tuner is they require you to disconnect your O2 sensors. This will throw two historical codes, one for each cylinder. These codes can't be cleared...at least I couldn't clear them on my '10 Ultra.

The codes could be a good indicator to HD that you were running a Power Commander. I don't see how they could prove it though but it might present a hassle. Just food for thought.
Interesting. I didn't get O2 sensor codes with my 10 RGC.
I can't remember if it was required that you install the little O2 eliminators that year like I did on my 07/09 SG. In any case seemed fine.

I noticed that dynojet has a bunch of PC5 maps for the M8. I still might go this way if there is one that is a close match as I ran a PCIII and PC5 for years without any problems.

Last edited by lp; 09-22-2017 at 05:44 AM.
Old 09-22-2017 | 06:10 AM
Mchad
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by lp
Interesting. I didn't get O2 sensor codes with my 10 RGC.
I can't remember if it was required that you install the little O2 eliminators that year like I did on my 07/09 SG. In any case seemed fine.

I noticed that dynojet has a bunch of PC5 maps for the M8. I still might go this way if there is one that is a close match as I ran a PCIII and PC5 for years without any problems.
Yes, I'm pretty sure the dongles you plug into the o2 sensor harness prevents the errors.

Old 09-22-2017 | 01:19 PM
DanBO18
Tourer

Remember, regarding preservation of warranty with mods, not only are you limited to HD's SE parts and tuner, they must also be installed in the first 60 days and a dealer has to submit a form to have them added to your official factory warranty records. With parts for the new bikes commonly on back-order, you pretty much have to make this decision immediately following purchase. I'm waiting for back-ordered push rods while the clock ticks.

Old 09-22-2017 | 01:47 PM
BatOuttaHell
Road Master

Originally Posted by Mchad
Yes, I'm pretty sure the dongles you plug into the o2 sensor harness prevents the errors.
Hmmmm....what are these "dongles of which you speak? I didn't have anything like that on my '10...I just basically disconnected the O2 sensors as they weren't needed. If these prevent historical codes from being thrown then they sound like the answer to this (non)issue.

Quick Reply: Interesting ECM flash info