Interesting ECM flash info

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017 | 02:22 PM
Mchad
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by jgos929
There are threads upon threads in this forum with people stating its happened to them or been told it would happen to them, that their warranty would be voided if an aftermarket air cleaner or exhaust is installed on the bike. Thing is you cant install those two without a tune and if you use anything other than SE tuner, intake and exhaust warranty is voided. The dealer may tell you sure they'll honor your warranty with aftermarket parts installed but its not up to them. They have to get a warranty repair approved from corporate and if corporate find out parts other than SE parts are on the bike they'll deny the repair and void your warranty

Just do a little looking in this thread and you'll see there are tons of folks scared to even install slip ons out of fear the warranty will be voided. I'm one of them lol!!!

And yes I believe Fuelmoto told you wrong. When you flash a new tune on the ecm it leaves a foot print even after you flash the stock tune back on
I totally get that. My earlier point was Fuelmoto (who are very respectable) said that while HD Corporate can detect if the ECM was flashed, the dealer systems can not. If that's true then only the most serious claim or something that introduces suspicion may call for that kind of forensics.

And of course my plan would have been to buy a SE tuner to at least have their stage 1 EPA tune on it which would get reloaded when in for service. But if you are correct and FuelMoto is plain wrong with what they told me, then it's all moot.

I'm going to look a bit further into this. If I find anything verifiable I'll post back.

And I'll look for related threads here. Though I've read plenty of stories of dealers who have no idea what they are doing with regards to warranty claims, basically deny wherever they think they can get away with it by default, so its not surprising. Here in my area I bet half the people buying bikes are RUB lawyers, so maybe that stuff doesn't happen here as much as a result. Who knows.

Thanks

Old 09-20-2017 | 02:25 PM
Mchad
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Scudda
Ok let me state this for the 1000 time on this forum. Messing with any and I mean any emissions related equipment, Cams, exhaust, air filters...heads on and motor vehicle that is sold for on road use in the US is and has been illegal for 40 years.

Go buy a brand new Camaro and remove the cats and try and get warranty work or even state inspection in a lot of states and it will fail.

Now up until 2017 did we all change out these parts for aftermarket parts..yup I know I did. but I have a used bike and could give a crap about a warranty.

if you care about your warranty..leave the bike alone...if you chose to use aftermarket parts that will void the warranty....go ahead and do it but stop bitching about the warranty
Deleted. Useless.

Last edited by Mchad; 09-20-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-20-2017 | 02:47 PM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy

Highly recommend staying stock or adding just street cannons and the se street tuner with stage the 1 download. Then, after your warranty is up modify away using non epa goodies from your favorite vendor. Just my 2 cents.

The following users liked this post:
Mchad (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017 | 02:49 PM
Mchad
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by MTBIG G
Highly recommend staying stock or adding just street cannons and the se street tuner with stage the 1 download. Then, after your warranty is up modify away using non epa goodies from your favorite vendor. Just my 2 cents.
Definitely seems to be the consensus. Thanks.

Old 09-20-2017 | 03:04 PM
dyna rider
Club Member
Veteran: Army
Default M8s

My 2017 RGS already had cams installed when I bought it. It was an experiment by the dealer to see what kind of numbers would come from stage 2 with the torque cam, intake, pro street tuner, and slip on mufflers. It carries the full 2 year warranty. When the warranty is expired, I may do other changes to it, but I will live with it until then.
If purchasing a new Screaming Eagle RG, they already come with the 114 cu. in. motor which has good torque numbers. Buy it, ride it, and at the end of the warranty, do what you like to it.
If you have the parts added before purchase, or at purchase, they are covered under the warranty.

Last edited by dyna rider; 09-20-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-20-2017 | 03:05 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mchad
Definitely seems to be the consensus. Thanks.
You look three sheets to the wind in your avatar. I bet that was a killer day.

Old 09-20-2017 | 03:07 PM
Mchad
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
You look three sheets to the wind in your avatar. I bet that was a killer day.
HA! You should see the photos from an hour later...

Old 09-20-2017 | 03:07 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Scudda
Ok let me state this for the 1000 time on this forum. Messing with any and I mean any emissions related equipment, Cams, exhaust, air filters...heads on and motor vehicle that is sold for on road use in the US is and has been illegal for 40 years.

Go buy a brand new Camaro and remove the cats and try and get warranty work or even state inspection in a lot of states and it will fail.

Now up until 2017 did we all change out these parts for aftermarket parts..yup I know I did. but I have a used bike and could give a crap about a warranty.

if you care about your warranty..leave the bike alone...if you chose to use aftermarket parts that will void the warranty....go ahead and do it but stop bitching about the warranty
Funny...I bought a new Camaro and took the cats off...and cammed it, headers, intake, exhaust, and tune. All before 2K miles. And never in a million years would I ask GM to cover something that broke because of my mods. I would damn well expect them to cover something that clearly failed due to defect, but accept responsibility otherwise.

The biggest issue I take with the EPA decree is that it seems to throw Magnuson-Moss right out the window by requiring H-D dealers to be policemen for them. Make no mistake; H-D got what they deserved for tuning a blind eye to their dealers that were knowingly adding in-house mods that put bikes out of EPA compliance. I've never seen anything like this.

But, you're right. You mod it, you own it, shut up and quit yer bitchin'.

The following users liked this post:
stixvrad (09-21-2017)
Old 09-20-2017 | 03:09 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

This is actually an interesting point. Night Rider is now selling an FL-AF-XiED-17 unit for our 17/18s. Its just plug and unplug, doesnt modify the ECM

http://sales.nightrider.com/FL-AF-XiED-17_p_84.html

Old 09-20-2017 | 03:14 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Keithhu
This is actually an interesting point. Night Rider is now selling an FL-AF-XiED-17 unit for our 17/18s. Its just plug and unplug, doesnt modify the ECM

http://sales.nightrider.com/FL-AF-XiED-17_p_84.html
I went with the Xied for my 103. Simple and effective.

Originally Posted by Mchad
HA! You should see the photos from an hour later...
Whatever's in your coconut look like whiskey.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 09-20-2017 at 08:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Interesting ECM flash info