Sponsored by:

M8 vs AMF years Love/Hate

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017 | 05:38 PM
SomeOld Biker
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Steel Wheels
Here's a couple of mine. Years old, but they're all I have of the FX. Not as clean as yours but it always put a smile on me and cleared my head. Despite all my griping.
Sweet!!!

The following users liked this post:
Steel Wheels (09-11-2017)
Old 09-10-2017 | 05:41 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member

Based on what I've read from some about the fuel capacity of the '18's, I'm surprised any of us made it home, ever, with 3.3 to 3.6 gallon gas tanks.

Old 09-10-2017 | 05:44 PM
SomeOld Biker
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by leafman60
I remember the basic Super Glide well.

LOL, we have a little Shovelhead drift going with this thread! Ya think all the M8 owners are gonna wanna sell off the new bikes and go with a Shovel? lol

I did take my FXS to breakfast this morning after typing on this thread. Made a loop of about 50 miles and ran by WalMart to pick up some running shoe inserts. I ran the old girl up to 90 a few times and she felt great.

It's only a little 74 incher (that used to be big) but it gets up and moves along pretty quickly.

I feel it too, a little Shovelhead drift going on...But you know the Shovel is always going to be the "HotRod" Harley.

Old 09-11-2017 | 05:59 AM
leafman60
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Steel Wheels
Man, I'll bet the ride felt good; especially if she's cooperating with the starting. Wish they'd had the oil rings figured out a little sooner too, I'd have jumped all over that.

What was great about the 4 speed, 74 incher were the runs to the Rockies. Third gear would take me just about all the way, while I could hear the jap bikes constantly up/down shifting.

It's funny - that 74 seemed plenty enough back then, and it sure got the job done. Granted all I packed was some food, tools, and a bedroll, but I never felt I needed to go bigger. Sometimes I believe we've been seduced by the marketing staff... : )

Happy you got out on her today!

Thanks

I enjoy riding the old Low Rider as much or more than any of the new bikes.

You are correct about displacement creep. These things have sure grown in size over the years. When I bought my FXS almost 40 years ago it was considered a big, brawny bike. Sure, it was stripped down compared to the FL series but, still, sitting on this thing felt like sitting on a brahma bull to most people.

Nowadays, this FXS seems not so big. Even compared to my Twin Cam Dyna SG, the Low Rider seems compact.

My basically stock 74 inch motor will not run with the late model behemoth motors but, guess what, it won't be too far behind. Another thing, despite the old frame's ancient design, it doesn't have the later rubber mounts that liked to flex on curves. The old Low Rider handles more stable in stock form than these rubber mounted contraptions. (I've upgraded my Dyna with stabilizers). I am not sad to see the rubber mounts go.

Of course, I gotta admit that at speeds 80 and above the old rigid-mounted Shovel is vibrating the bar ends into a oscillating pattern of about 4 inches in diameter ! "Please, masser, slow me down."

In the motorcycle trade - bigger is better and way too much is getting to be just about right.