Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8 vs AMF years Love/Hate

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017 | 11:22 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
When ever I'm out on the shovel it takes all the attention away from all the other bikes. When I'm headed out of the bar or what ever a group follows me outside to watch me kickstart the old girl.
I thinks it funny because most guys nowadays have never kickstarted a bike before.
You should see the look on their faces when I twist the left grip on the Pan

Old 09-08-2017 | 11:28 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by TomcatCV62
Well, insofar as I know, they've had issues with every upgrade since the evo. The evo was the best engine, period.
Thus we see the display of the Harley engine paradigm:
1) The current engine sucks.
2) The engine before this was OK, after awhile.
3) The engine before this was the best ever.
4) The engine before that is magical.
5) All engines before that one have been reserved for the exclusive use of the Olympian gods.

Old 09-08-2017 | 11:47 AM
leafman60
Road Captain

Several people have mentioned sound. I have a late model Twin Cam along with my '78 Shovelhead. It's a personal choice but I think the Shovelhead has the best sound of any iterations since then.

Old 09-08-2017 | 04:16 PM
Steel Wheels
Road Master

Originally Posted by leafman60
Several people have mentioned sound. I have a late model Twin Cam along with my '78 Shovelhead. It's a personal choice but I think the Shovelhead has the best sound of any iterations since then.

Did your oil cooler come stock? Seems I added a Lockhart to mine. Also, if I might ask, how many miles now? Any top or bottom end work? Just curious. Looks as though you've taken good care of it.

Old 09-08-2017 | 04:31 PM
Papa G
Outstanding HDF Member

Like my M8. Only problem right now is seems to run hot for the passenger. Dealer tried changing some pipes and we put on air deflectors but still a little warm. Couple of other thing s might try. May be last Harley I ever buy because I plan to ride it til I can't ride anymore!

Old 09-08-2017 | 05:14 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior

IMO the m8 will be a good engine after the bugs are worked out just like every engine the MOCO has designed. The problem is when they finally get them worked out or close they cancel the engine and move to the next. It is good business for them to keep buyers trading in every few years thinking a problem is fixed.I will not buy a new m8 it is to much like a metric at almost double the price IMO. But i will buy a used 2018 fatboy or slim 5-8 years from now when the engine is fixed and prices come down.

Old 09-09-2017 | 10:03 AM
Michaelpost
Advanced

Originally Posted by tbob
Man I remember when the evos came out the old timers thought that was the end of
the company. Kinda just like now..lol .As stated before AMF was a good thing for Harley.
And back then everyone wanted a KZ900 for speed.
I remember letting my buddy who had a '76 super glide ride my KZ 900. The verdict? "Too fast for street use" lol.

Old 09-09-2017 | 11:38 AM
SomeOld Biker
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Michaelpost
I remember letting my buddy who had a '76 super glide ride my KZ 900. The verdict? "Too fast for street use" lol.
Yeah man when those in-line Jap fours came over they were some cool bikes for sure. Remember Kenny Roberts and the two strokes?

Old 09-09-2017 | 11:40 AM
Michaelpost
Advanced

Originally Posted by SomeOld Biker
Yeah man when those in-line Jap fours came over they were some cool bikes for sure. Remember Kenny Roberts and the two strokes?
Said he was crazy for riding it. Even he was scared by it!

Old 09-09-2017 | 11:48 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Northside
It's in vogue to bad mouth AMF, but it really isn't fair. Those bikes weren't perfect but they were okay and Harley didn't go under like the British bikes during the same time period.
I had two AMF bikes.... '78 & '80 FXS Lowriders... only issue I ever had was self induced...

They were pretty good bikes, rode the '78 until it was stolen and the '80 until 1989 when I traded it for an EVO Heritage..

I believe I put a combined 110,000 miles between both bikes and only once did one break down on the side of the road and strand me... again, it was a self inflicted issue..

Certainly technology has advanced since those days.... but I would buy either of those two bikes back in a heart beat..!

Quick Reply: M8 vs AMF years Love/Hate