Big Kahuna HDF Member

^^Nice^^

Old 09-08-2017 | 07:40 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Steel Wheels
My '77 FX issues (those that I can remember):

Kick lever had a habit of breaking free about halfway thru the stroke. Result was a knee that finally put me on the ground rolling in pain. It was intermittent, and replacing a sector gear and ring gear never helped.

As mentioned, oil leaks. And not just the chain oiler. Fork seals, cylinder base gaskets, primary cover, crank seals, etc.

End of first season I pulled heads to check hard starting and found valves binding in guides. Dealer replaced guides and seats.

Random parts vibrated loose/fell off altogether. These included foot pegs, fender bolts, spokes, and probably others I've forgotten. Clutch cable failed at an intersection at a year and a half despite regular lubing.

Regular chain wear. Despite lube and adjustment I'd have to replace once a year. They kept developing tight spots I never could figure out. Peoria bearing got a lot of my business.

If traveling, bring along oil, master link, test light, full tool kit and bulbs. They had a habit of blinking out at the worst times...and if you couldn't diag/repair your scoot, God help you.

At least once a week I'd set aside a couple of hours to go over just about every nut and bolt on the bike. Loctite never did seem to help.

Not trying to paint a bleak picture here, a lot of what I experienced was shared by many others. Did my share of bitching and cussing, but would never have considered getting rid of it. I loved that big twin and rode it hard for three years. This story doesn't have a happy ending tho; 2 weeks after making the 36th and final payment it was stolen. I was living in a rough section of town and had no insurance. Remember sitting on the porch outside the house where I had an apartment and being numb while waiting for the cops to show up. It would be years before I could afford another, and I had this recurring dream where it would turn up in my parents garage. Then I'd wake up. I've tried over the years to forgive whoever did it, but part of me hopes they're already in hell.

Sorry. Rant over.
A SOB attempted to steal my Corvette a few days ago. They couldn't steal it so they decided to mess up the interior out of frustration.

If I would have caught them, I would be in jail right now.

Sorry for the hijack.

Old 09-08-2017 | 07:59 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior

The new M8 bikes have some nice features that I would like, the Linked Brembo brakes, nicer saddlebag lids, and of course more power. But, when I rode one it felt like I was riding a Honda 1800 VTX. The navigation / radio screen on the new Harleys seemed really confusing, I presently use a 6 inch Garmin on my 2010 Limited that so easy to use, I've never even read the manual.
What I wish Harley would address when they design new models is the known problems that go on year after year, like cheap wheel bearings and compensators that are prone to fail, corrosion on the fork lowers, engine heat, etc.
Harley could be adding features like a reverse, height adjustable handle bars, power windshields. There's a company that's making a motorcycle air con / heat system that is really neat, plugs into the bottom of your jacket and pumps cool or warm air through your jacket. Instead, Harley thinks we all want blacked out bikes.

Old 09-08-2017 | 10:42 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member

When ever I'm out on the shovel it takes all the attention away from all the other bikes. When I'm headed out of the bar or what ever a group follows me outside to watch me kickstart the old girl.
I thinks it funny because most guys nowadays have never kickstarted a bike before.

Old 09-08-2017 | 10:55 AM
Steel Wheels
Road Master

Originally Posted by Prot
A SOB attempted to steal my Corvette a few days ago. They couldn't steal it so they decided to mess up the interior out of frustration.

If I would have caught them, I would be in jail right now.

Sorry for the hijack.
Yep. That.

Old 09-08-2017 | 10:57 AM
Steel Wheels
Road Master

Leafman

Glad you had no trouble with yours. Could be it was hit or miss back in those days; anyway that Low Rider was a beautiful machine. As a lot of us have bemoaned, " I should have waited a year".

Old 09-08-2017 | 11:04 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior

while I get the nostalgic part of the evo, its not close to being the best Harley engine ever. the M8 holds that title despite any problems with it. Now I will say that the evo has the best sound to it, but sound does not make an engine.

Old 09-08-2017 | 11:13 AM
Prot
Club Member

Originally Posted by jamesroadking
The new M8 bikes have some nice features that I would like, the Linked Brembo brakes, nicer saddlebag lids, and of course more power. But, when I rode one it felt like I was riding a Honda 1800 VTX. The navigation / radio screen on the new Harleys seemed really confusing, I presently use a 6 inch Garmin on my 2010 Limited that so easy to use, I've never even read the manual.
What I wish Harley would address when they design new models is the known problems that go on year after year, like cheap wheel bearings and compensators that are prone to fail, corrosion on the fork lowers, engine heat, etc.
Harley could be adding features like a reverse, height adjustable handle bars, power windshields. There's a company that's making a motorcycle air con / heat system that is really neat, plugs into the bottom of your jacket and pumps cool or warm air through your jacket. Instead, Harley thinks we all want blacked out bikes.

It sounds like you want Harley to start building cars with a lot of chrome on them.

Old 09-08-2017 | 11:16 AM
SomeOld Biker
|
Road Master

I'm getting use to the M8 sound. With a header and pipe it sounds like a big block motor.

Old 09-08-2017 | 11:19 AM
Prot
Club Member

Originally Posted by jclax01
while I get the nostalgic part of the evo, its not close to being the best Harley engine ever. the M8 holds that title despite any problems with it. Now I will say that the evo has the best sound to it, but sound does not make an engine.

It's kind of like when you have a good wife. She looks nice, but maybe doesn't win a beauty pageant, but she is still great after all these years.

Quick Reply: M8 vs AMF years Love/Hate