Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

has anyone drilled the M8 baffles? good or bad sound?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 10:50 AM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

I'd love to see a video. Thinking about doing mine. I already gutted the cat and it's still too quiet.

Can i not just cut around the weld with a dremel tool and pull the whole thing out?

Old 09-06-2017, 10:54 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

Bump for video from either of you guys.

The following users liked this post:
04ctd (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 12:23 PM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackness03
I'd love to see a video. Thinking about doing mine. I already gutted the cat and it's still too quiet.

Can i not just cut around the weld with a dremel tool and pull the whole thing out?
I think that is what SAFRICAN is saying, pull the pipes off, dremel around the very end of the baffle, and push the whole baffle out the inlet side.

I am WAY too lazy for that, I just put the drill in there, and go real slow & easy, and cut the crimped end of the baffle off, and then fish it back out the outlet hole.

I will try to get the videos up tonight, I actually bought a CAMERA a while back (you remember those, right? like a cell phone but only takes pictures?)
the videos were in MTS format, I may take some today with my cell phone, if I can't get these MTS loaded somewhere.

I promise you, this is a GREAT cheap mod, and even if you do your pipes now and then pay $600 for custom pipes later, you can still use the tool on your friends pipes, or even sell your OEM pipes (some ppl are that scared of mods) as "mad loud cheap crazy pipes for only $200" on Craigslist.

I see no way this could hurt the warranty, there just isn't that much change.

Old 09-09-2017, 05:22 PM
G-Reese87
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

My pops just got a 17 sgs and we removed the baffles from his stock pipes and it sounds great. We removed the baffle and all of the packing so that the mufflers are just wide open. To me it sounds better then every slip on I have heard yet. Its a good cheap mod to do until you decide to do the full exhaust. The cat is still in the head pipe so back pressure and performance didn't drop any. We just took a dremel and dremeled out the weld and pulled everything out.

The following users liked this post:
04ctd (09-11-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 05:38 AM
Peter Quinn
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

I repeat for the last occasion.Dont drill the end of the internal baffle!
You will get the best sound and performance if you cut off the perforated baffle pipe
1 1/2" from the exit hole and remove it ot the inlet.
If you drill it only the crimped tip will come off. You can open the tip without even removing the muffler.Just take a 1/2" 3ft steel rod and hammer the crimped end open
Repeat the procedure with a 1"pipe to open it fully for the same result without the sweat

Old 09-12-2017, 09:38 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,922 Likes on 3,290 Posts

Two methods, one is using a 3" hole saw (I've done it this way, took about an hour, the right side is harder than the left

Then there's the dremel or 4" die grinder. One thing about this method, the pipe wall is thin, if your not very experienced with a air grinder then I'd use the 1st method above.

Both work, I used it on my SG and it sounds just as good as a set of slip-ons sans the $550.00

Old 09-12-2017, 11:48 PM
04ctd
Banned

I like the two above videos, but it's worth noting they do not have a sound test, they are probably LOUD. My mod is "just right" in that it sounds like a HD, but not WIDE OPEN CRAZY loud.

and the above videos would definitely flow so much you may consider a tune, I don't think this changes the AFR that mucH

LMK you think of the videos.

Walk around video of HD with stock baffles drilled

Revving the motor up to about 4k RPM with baffles drilled

how to drill and wallow out the hole to get the baffle out

The following 2 users liked this post by 04ctd:
Johnny Goodlife (09-13-2017), Stuff (10-05-2019)
Old 09-13-2017, 10:43 AM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

Thanks for the videos. I've already removed my cat. Can I remove the baffles also and not worry about tuning or anything?

Old 09-13-2017, 11:34 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,922 Likes on 3,290 Posts

"I like the two above videos, but it's worth noting they do not have a sound test, they are probably LOUD. My mod is "just right" in that it sounds like a HD, but not WIDE OPEN CRAZY loud"

Not even. In fact, quieter than a set of slip-ons. Mind you, I did this on my 13-SG not on my 17. Still, it's not wide open loud, not even remotely close.

You're not going to get the rumble your looking for without a full header system, even then, it wont be as loud as it would have been on the 103.
Increasing the balance of the engine by 75% dramatically affected the rumble.

Imagine it like a sport bike, they are truly balanced motors and they are quiet for that very reason. You can get a significant rumble with a stage 2 setup and get close to what you're looking for but it will take a cam. I have a slimline header and 4-1/2" slip-ons. I plan on installing them in the next couple weeks. I'll post a sound slip of before after. I know it will sound better but I'm not expecting miracles.

if you call FM and inquire about their jackpot header, they will tell you only a few decibels higher than a stock header. That's what they told me and I've read that statement here more than once before.

Originally Posted by Blackness03
Thanks for the videos. I've already removed my cat. Can I remove the baffles also and not worry about tuning or anything?
I would highly recommend a tune. Harley say's that just by adding a slip-ons you don't need to flash the ecm but by decat and then removing baffles I would get one to keep the bike from being too lean. It's $399 from FM and they send you the map.

Originally Posted by 04ctd
I like the two above videos, but it's worth noting they do not have a sound test, they are probably LOUD. My mod is "just right" in that it sounds like a HD, but not WIDE OPEN CRAZY loud.

and the above videos would definitely flow so much you may consider a tune, I don't think this changes the AFR that mucH

LMK you think of the videos.

Walk around video of HD with stock baffles drilled
https://youtu.be/jovjn0zk350

Revving the motor up to about 4k RPM with baffles drilled
https://youtu.be/LYmGq_aEecA

https://youtu.be/8Zpm1tIBVkQ

https://youtu.be/k5KuLgnPavQ
Still, sounds very close to the stock system.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 09-13-2017 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:12 PM
04ctd
Banned

the M8 OEM pipes are straight thru, if you drill out the end.
however, it looks the inlet just ends a few inches inside the body, and the out let is the same way, so it is not "straight thru", it is pretty quiet.

I got a deal on some Vance & Hines Power Duals, and I wanted to get rid of the cat, so I threw the V&H power duals on with the drilled OEM mufflers. still not much sound difference.

Quick Reply: has anyone drilled the M8 baffles? good or bad sound?