Sponsored by:

Re-usable filter in stock form?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 12:46 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,530 Likes on 2,697 Posts
Default Re-usable filter in stock form?

OK, so in order to sidestep the annoying and tedious debate about "performance" parts and the Harley Tuning Industrial Complex (HTIC), how about this:

Does anyone (K&N?) make an air filter that has the same flow characteristics as the stock one, but is re-usable?

The following users liked this post:
Roadster (08-30-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 12:49 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,083 Likes on 4,664 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
OK, so in order to sidestep the annoying and tedious debate about "performance" parts and the Harley Tuning Industrial Complex (HTIC), how about this:

Does anyone (K&N?) make an air filter that has the same flow characteristics as the stock one, but is re-usable?
yeah, the stock one

Old 08-30-2017, 12:52 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by mjwebb
yeah, the stock one
I thought its a paper filter - no?

Old 08-30-2017, 01:05 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

I thought its a paper filter - no?
it is, but is washable and reusable..the cleaning instructions are in your Owners manual..they are only $20..if you want the filtration benefits and added weather protection of the OEM Air Cleaner with enough air to the intake for a basically stock engine then buy 2 or 3 of them, rotate them as necessary, rinse and repeat

they stopped offering the Screaming Eagle Synthetic media air filter elements this year which didn't require oiling..i loved those, they flowed great and filtered great and were easier to maintain

Old 08-30-2017, 01:18 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

OK, thanks.

This is a screamin eagle one, doesnt look like the KN-1717, but its a screamin eagle. I don't think its the same as the stock one.

Ronnies parts finder doesnt have the 2017 models, was looking for stock replacement.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:23 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

OK, thanks.

This is a screamin eagle one, doesnt look like the KN-1717, but its a screamin eagle. I don't think its the same as the stock one.

Ronnies parts finder doesnt have the 2017 models, was looking for stock replacement.
yeah, that's a K&N..you need to buy the cleaning/oiling kit it..for whatever reason HD decided to go all K&N starting with the 2017 M8's for SE..they were ALL SE in years past, regardless of being cotton oiled or synthetic media, for Ventilator, Heavy Breather, Hi Flow, etc..they just market them under their Screaming Eagle label..weird thing tho is they make OEM non oiled filters for the OEM Ventilator equipped models including the CVO's, but I don't see those offered separately in the Online Store except for pre 2017 models, so not sure if the 2017/18 M8 filters are paper or synthetic media..who knows WTF they are thinking sometimes

Last edited by mjwebb; 08-30-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:28 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by mjwebb
yeah, that's a K&N..you need to buy the cleaning/oiling kit it..for whatever reason HD decided to go all K&N this year for SE..they were ALL SE in years past, regardless of being cotton oiled or synthetic media, for Ventilator, Heavy Breather, Hi Flow, etc..they just market them under their Screaming Eagle label..weird thing tho is they make OEM non oiled filters for the OEM Ventilator equipped models including the CVO's, but I don't see those offered separately in the Online Store, so not sure if they are paper or synthetic media..who knows WTF they are thinking sometimes
OK, so I can buy the filter in the link I provided and not run afoul of the Harley orthodoxy on tuning?

Old 08-30-2017, 01:32 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

OK, so I can buy the filter in the link I provided and not run afoul of the Harley orthodoxy on tuning?
oh boy....so...no, that filter fits the Screaming Eagle Hi Flow Air Cleaner with back plate, breather tubes and utilizes the OEM AC cleaner cover sans plastic and mesh portion, AND, it Requires ECM Recalibration using the SE Pro Street Tuner..sorry to be the bearer of bad (see also; expensive) news...the K&N 1717 is a direct OEM replacement utilizing the OEM AC, and you wouldn't need to buy the tuner and have the ecm recalibrated if you leave the stock mufflers on, but will if you buy performance mufflers, aftermarket or SE..and if you are doing that you might as well just get the SE Hi flow AC kit and do it all up as prescribed..you will be happy with the results, your engine will breathe better and be happier, and keep your warranty...either way you go, highly recommend getting a spare to swap out and clean at your convenience...WHEW, I need to come up for air

p.s. being the M8 is a fantastic running engine stock the Stage 1 just improves upon it

Last edited by mjwebb; 08-30-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:23 PM
Roadster
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Having the same question concerning using a K & N air filter vs the stock Harley filter. I was a little confused by all the mixed info I was reading on the forum. I called K & N and spoke with a tech that had just returned from Sturges and was apparently involved with using this filter with Harley's and was very familiar with the question. He stated using the K & N stock air filter definitely did not require a remapping. I further asked with using slip-ons would that require a remapping. He stated no.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:03 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Keep in mind that K&N sells filters. They do not warranty stuck valves or other problems that can come up. i can tell you that with open mufflers and the K&N my bike and some others around here caused the bike to ping in hot weather. The tuner eliminated that. YMMV but I just chalk it up the the harley tax. It's only $250 for the tuner.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (08-30-2017)

Quick Reply: Re-usable filter in stock form?