Sponsored by:

Re-usable filter in stock form?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 04:04 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadster
Having the same question concerning using a K & N air filter vs the stock Harley filter. I was a little confused by all the mixed info I was reading on the forum. I called K & N and spoke with a tech that had just returned from Sturges and was apparently involved with using this filter with Harley's and was very familiar with the question. He stated using the K & N stock air filter definitely did not require a remapping. I further asked with using slip-ons would that require a remapping. He stated no.
Well it is definitely easy to get confused by all the hyperbole spouted by everyone of the oil makers and air cleaner makers. There is "no truth in advertising" with most products. Up until the last decade or so you could not say it in an ad unless you could prove it was true. Now it is just anything goes and nothing can be taken literally, unless you read it on the internet of course.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:08 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,288 Likes on 4,747 Posts

Originally Posted by todd-67
Keep in mind that K&N sells filters. They do not warranty stuck valves or other problems that can come up. i can tell you that with open mufflers and the K&N my bike and some others around here caused the bike to ping in hot weather. The tuner eliminated that. YMMV but I just chalk it up the the harley tax. It's only $250 for the tuner.
yeah, it seems like who you ask and depending what time the sun is overhead on any given day the answers (opinions) change..keep in mind that the K&N has twice the surface area and is much more porous than the smaller OEM paper filter so naturally it's going to allow more air in..imo if you're messing around altering stuff just do a proper stage 1 and be done with it..engine is better off anyway and get some noticeable improvements

Old 08-30-2017, 04:32 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
yeah, it seems like who you ask and depending what time the sun is overhead on any given day the answers (opinions) change..
You're right about who you ask about things but when you start asking the people the manufacture motorcycles and people that tune them for a living the answers are more credible and have substance around them over internet "opinions" and hearsay. It's kinda like the arguments that an auto tune is as good as a dyno tune by someone that knows what they are doing. In certain circumstances it may be close with a stage one bike but going much beyond that with the motor requires more than a VE table adjustment.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:44 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

You're right about who you ask about things but when you start asking the people the manufacture motorcycles and people that tune them for a living the answers are more credible and have substance around them over internet "opinions" and hearsay. It's kinda like the arguments that an auto tune is as good as a dyno tune by someone that knows what they are doing. In certain circumstances it may be close with a stage one bike but going much beyond that with the motor requires more than a VE table adjustment.
yeah, and I certainly ain't knowledgeable enough to dispute some things so I just usually defer to the manufacturers recommendations, which has never steered me wrong..I don't like to fuss over stuff like this

Old 08-30-2017, 06:32 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
yeah, and I certainly ain't knowledgeable enough to dispute some things so I just usually defer to the manufacturers recommendations, which has never steered me wrong..I don't like to fuss over stuff like this
Understood. If you take the time to read through the overwhelming settings that are available settings that are modifiable with a tuner like the power vision you will be even more inclined to leave it to people that do the stuff for a living not fully understanding how some settings affect others. For $250 I will play it safe for now and hand it off to someone that knows what they are doing when the warranty expires.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:35 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Understood. If you take the time to read through the overwhelming settings that are available settings that are modifiable with a tuner like the power vision you will be even more inclined to leave it to people that do the stuff for a living not fully understanding how some settings affect others. For $250 I will play it safe for now and hand it off to someone that knows what they are doing when the warranty expires.
I bought the SEPST and decided not to muck with it myself, paid our highly reputable tuner at our dealership to dyno tune it, there's zero chance I would have gotten the great results I did if I screwed around with it