Sponsored by:

Reflex Linked brakes question

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 08:37 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,380 Likes on 4,785 Posts
Default Reflex Linked brakes question

so my whole life I have been using both front and rear simultaneously nearly 100% of the time..it's a muscle memory thing at this point, and even when I got my first Reflex system on my 2015 right up until now I continue to use both..but during my recent trip to Glacier and having my front rotors become warped, I used the rear almost exclusively after awhile because I wasn't thrilled about another 1000 miles home of the pulsating front brake lever and windscreen vibrating..and I have to admit the system works well and significantly alleviated the problem, and I found it smooth and controlled, relaxing and enjoyable, to the point I'm considering utilizing the rear brake only a lot more.

so my question is..is there a chance over time I will lose the muscle memory instinct when I need it the most? kind of makes me nervous to think so..currently it's instantaneous and automatic I apply both in abrupt stopping situations.. I plan on still using both as I slow to stops..just curious what others think or have experienced in similar situations, thanks

Last edited by mjwebb; 08-28-2017 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:45 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,857 Likes on 1,603 Posts

It sucks that your brakes are acting up, but I wouldn't change a thing about how you use them. They ain't the boss of you.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (08-28-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 08:47 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by lp
It sucks that your brakes are acting up, but I wouldn't change a thing about how you use them. They ain't the boss of you.
yeah, I'm apprehensive about changing my behavior after 4 decades..maybe because I'm older and getting lazier it sounds appealing

Old 08-28-2017, 08:48 PM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

I had a problem with my front brake during a trip this past spring. I had to consciously remind myself to not use the front brake on every stop, unless it was needed. I think as long as you are constantly reminding yourself it would not be a problem. Once it becomes natural to only brake with your foot. That is probably when it would take a real emergency stop for your brain to revert back to preprogrammed reaction.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (08-28-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 08:49 PM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

My front wheel pulsates too if I just use the front brake lever. But if I use both, I don't feel any. I dont think I'd try to relearn to use rear only myself.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:50 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

If you have a warped rotor, didn't it oscillate when the brake was activated by the foot pedal?

Old 08-28-2017, 08:53 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by CVO SG
My front wheel pulsates too if I just use the front brake lever. But if I use both, I don't feel any. I dont think I'd try to relearn to use rear only myself.
it does say this too, which explains some of the continued pulsation in front brake after the service tech mitigated the issue rotating the rotors and cleaning pads and calipers

When applying both brakes, the rider may detect slight feedback in the front brake lever or rear brake pedal while the dynamic balancing occurs.

When applying both brakes, the system attempts to dynamically balance braking across both the front and rear wheels.

Last edited by mjwebb; 08-28-2017 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:54 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
If you have a warped rotor, didn't it oscillate when the brake was activated by the foot pedal?
surprisingly no, I thought it would but it was a front brake being applied amplified sensation..but I used the brakes more gingerly on the return trip too so that changed things..probably best I continue to use the good braking habits I have developed, man things happen in a flash out there..part of me just likes the thought of utilizing this newer linked technology but in reality just ABS would be fine for me

Last edited by mjwebb; 08-28-2017 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:28 PM
drcollie
Tourer
Received 314 Likes on 88 Posts

I've been using a linked brake system since my 2006 BMW R1200GS. They work GREAT - and it won't change your riding style, if anything it will give you greater confidence in a panic stop when that cage turns left in front of you as you can just grab all the front brake and let the ABS do the work - and it DOES work, and work well.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:01 AM
SomeOld Biker
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
I've been using a linked brake system since my 2006 BMW R1200GS. They work GREAT - and it won't change your riding style, if anything it will give you greater confidence in a panic stop when that cage turns left in front of you as you can just grab all the front brake and let the ABS do the work - and it DOES work, and work well.
Yep, read my story I posted a couple times about linked abs, it works!

Quick Reply: Reflex Linked brakes question