Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reflex Linked brakes question

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 10:04 PM
hairymoth
Road Warrior
Received 1,271 Likes on 431 Posts

BTW.. Also know that the link is not 100%. Hitting just the back brake hard does not give you the full stopping power of hitting both together. The details are in the manual, but as I recall: above 25 mph, hitting only the back brake activates just 2 of the 8 front cylinders. You can feel the difference.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:10 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,381 Likes on 4,785 Posts

Originally Posted by hairymoth
The linked ABS was a big part of the reason for choosing the bike I did.
Like you, I was concerned about developing bad habits. So before I got the bike, I decided I would simply use the brakes like they are conventional.. So why choose, and pay for, linked brakes then? Riders don't die when they are doing everything right, they die when they (or someone else) screws-up: that is when I want linked ABS! (almost 3k miles on my new bike and I don't know if the ABS actually works.. I hope I won't find out).

BTW.. It sounds like you have allowed yourself to develop bad habits because of a faulty front break... How you ride is your business, but I wouldn't let myself become accustomed to relying on the brake with significantly less stopping power, just because the front brake is acting up. There are better options.
well, if you're referring to me..I haven't developed bad braking habits after 4 decades of riding and racing motorcycles, after just one recent 1000 mile trip home with a warped front brake rotor and utilizing the rear with linked ABS..I've had to stand on these hard over the last couple years a few times so i know how they perform, behave and what to expect..I was just thinking out loud that if I begin to use the linked brakes more per design it may be possible some of the automatic good braking habit instincts I've developed may fade at the most inopportune time..I think I'll stick to what works for me and not even take a chance cuz I'm real in tune with my bikes..a lot of the time I find myself covering the front lever with 2 fingers under normal riding..old motocross habit that transferred over to street long ago..matter of fact when i got my first Harley in 2005 I was still riding dirt bikes and beginning the start of racing vintage mx to relive my youth, and I would stick my leg out in corners on my Sportster!

Last edited by mjwebb; 08-29-2017 at 10:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
hairymoth (08-29-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 12:02 AM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Yardstick
numerous times in panic stops having the rear end come around on me....I decided to build that muscle memory by using front brakes first and in a normal stop that is all I use.

In a panic, you are going to do what you do everyday....so if you are in the habit of using the back brake for normal stops...guess what you will hit first and probably pretty hard too.
Bingo!

Since the 70's and racing bikes every weekend, I almost always use the front brake exclusively.

If you're on pavement, not dirt, the front will give you 70% or more useable braking force than the rear. This is due to weight transfer. For me when I'm lazy it's also simpler to use the front brake only. In a panic, yeah, I'm all over both brakes. But adding the rear in a panic stop only adds a fraction to your stopping power. To me this linked braking system doesn't add much.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:11 AM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
well, if you're referring to me..I haven't developed bad braking habits after 4 decades of riding and racing motorcycles, after just one recent 1000 mile trip home with a warped front brake rotor and utilizing the rear with linked ABS..I've had to stand on these hard over the last couple years a few times so i know how they perform, behave and what to expect..I was just thinking out loud that if I begin to use the linked brakes more per design it may be possible some of the automatic good braking habit instincts I've developed may fade at the most inopportune time..I think I'll stick to what works for me and not even take a chance cuz I'm real in tune with my bikes..a lot of the time I find myself covering the front lever with 2 fingers under normal riding..old motocross habit that transferred over to street long ago..matter of fact when i got my first Harley in 2005 I was still riding dirt bikes and beginning the start of racing vintage mx to relive my youth , and I would stick my leg out in corners on my Sportster!
Sounds like you know how to use the brakes lol. Linked, ABS, whatever, it doesn't change good braking habits. Brake like none of that **** was there and if ya need it, it kicks in.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:53 AM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 451 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by ocezam
Bingo!

Since the 70's and racing bikes every weekend, I almost always use the front brake exclusively.

If you're on pavement, not dirt, the front will give you 70% or more useable braking force than the rear. This is due to weight transfer. For me when I'm lazy it's also simpler to use the front brake only. In a panic, yeah, I'm all over both brakes. But adding the rear in a panic stop only adds a fraction to your stopping power. To me this linked braking system doesn't add much.
Bingo!! I've owned street bikes since 1979, had over 20 of them. I too love the linked brakes, but I've always been a front brake person for this very reason. I've seen too many inexperienced riders slide into the back of a car, slide out into an intersection, back end coming around from the rear wheel being locked up because they don't use the front brake. 70/30 (or is it actually more like 78/22?) is the split in braking performance front to rear. I rarely hit the back brake on the new system unless I'm riding a passenger or need a quick/panic stop.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:14 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by davewear
Linked, ABS, whatever, it doesn't change good braking habits. Brake like none of that **** was there and if ya need it, it kicks in.
yeah, keep on keepin' on..need to continue to prioritize my own reflexes over mechanical ones

Old 09-12-2017, 07:33 PM
PHX M8
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I love the Road Kings linked ABS

I ride like I would ride any other. I've stopped it pretty hard and I stays controled just like my Yamaha Super Tenere Did. I noticed after I had 500mi on the Bike It stopped with much better power than new.

Ride it normal, it's a good system. I use both brakes on normal stops and rear only to hold the bike on hills and in low speed parking lot stuff.
PHX

Old 09-12-2017, 09:43 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by PHX M8
I ride like I would ride any other. I've stopped it pretty hard and I stays controled just like my Yamaha Super Tenere Did. I noticed after I had 500mi on the Bike It stopped with much better power than new.

Ride it normal, it's a good system. I use both brakes on normal stops and rear only to hold the bike on hills and in low speed parking lot stuff.
PHX
it's a great system indeed..I have started taking advantage of the rear brake under normal braking, but always hover two fingers on the front and apply some pressure, just to keep the muscle memory where it needs to be

Old 09-13-2017, 01:41 AM
YorkSPb
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hairymoth
BTW.. as I recall: above 25 mph, hitting only the back brake activates just 2 of the 8 front cylinders. You can feel the difference.
Unfortunately you are wrong : our brakes has only electric connections which is working via electromagnetic valves, so this system can only reduce braking pressure, not apply it. If you apply only rear brake you have only rear, and same for front. If you apply both the system will balance braking power front and rear brakes.
To have the system as you describe there should be additional brake hoses going to calipers. It is easy visible at Gold Wing or BMW, for each front caliper it is going two hoses there. With that you can use rear brake pedal and has some pressure on front brakes also.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:26 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by YorkSPb
Unfortunately you are wrong : our brakes has only electric connections which is working via electromagnetic valves, so this system can only reduce braking pressure, not apply it. If you apply only rear brake you have only rear, and same for front. If you apply both the system will balance braking power front and rear brakes.
To have the system as you describe there should be additional brake hoses going to calipers. It is easy visible at Gold Wing or BMW, for each front caliper it is going two hoses there. With that you can use rear brake pedal and has some pressure on front brakes also.
You may want to learn a bit more on the system before you come back for your second post on the forums.....

The following 3 users liked this post by skid_pimp:
Campy Roadie (09-13-2017), FLTRI17 (09-15-2017), mjwebb (09-13-2017)

Quick Reply: Reflex Linked brakes question