Sponsored by:

slave cylinder in clutch issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017 | 11:01 AM
snowdevil23
|
Advanced
Default slave cylinder in clutch issue

has anyone had an issue with the slave cylinder in the clutch. mine either loosened up or the piston in the cylinder is screwed up . bike has 5400 miles on it. and then this happened. good thing I didn't throw the fp3 on it. would of voided the warranty.

Old 08-28-2017 | 11:54 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member

Could you explain what happened?

Old 08-29-2017 | 02:29 AM
Cmeo
Intermediate

Mines got replaced about two weeks ago .. rode out about 2 hr on a hot day parked for a few hours when I came back to the bike the bike had no clutch pressure when I pushed it to my friends driveway it had an awful smell, like a burnt clutch smell.. the dealer claimed the clutch didn't suffer no damage but the bike hasn't been the same. I took it to a different dealer to have to clutch checked and other issues.

Old 08-29-2017 | 11:24 AM
snowdevil23
|
Advanced

not much to explain , took bike out for ride , initially everthing was good for about 10 miles. then every time I pulled in clutch to down shift I noticed a little bit of resistence from pulling it in. it felt like the bike had low oil in the master cylinder. it kept getting worse as the ride went on . after about 80 miles it got to the point while pulling in the clutch u would get a loud squeaking noise.and u could also hear it in the slave cylinder in the clutch. sounded like an old cable dirt bike clutch that needed to be oiled. but no grinding when shifting.

Old 08-29-2017 | 08:14 PM
Carlos G Godfrog
Road Captain

On my hydraulic clutch, everything was fine, then the handle would not move. Turns out the rubber ring around the slave cylinder rolled out of the groove, and jammed the cylinder. HD does not sell the rubber ring, you need to buy the kit with the new piston and ring.

Old 08-31-2017 | 08:47 AM
snowdevil23
|
Advanced

talked to dealer, couldn't find a problem , clutch was no longer making noise , took it all apart and found nothing. if it happens again they will replace the slave they said.

Old 09-01-2017 | 10:11 AM
snowdevil23
|
Advanced

got bike back home last night. started making the noise again. called dealer this morning, they talked to hd tech line. new slave cylinder on order now. when its replaced, ill update. I should cross my fingers, but **** it.... see what happens

Old 09-01-2017 | 07:42 PM
dcubb
Stage III

First off, hello everyone. Long time lurker here, first time post.

I have a '17 SGS, just rolled over 3,000 miles. Day before yesterday this very same issue popped up. At first I noticed a slightly rough feel while pulling in the clutch lever and within a short period it got to the point that it almost locked up mid travel. After a couple of somewhat brisk squeezes of the lever it smoothed out. That's when i noticed the scratchy squeeking noise from the slave cylinder.

After the 30 mile ride home from work, (where I was when it started acting up) it's smoothed out considerably but still making a very distinct screechy noise. There's been no effect on the clutch engagement travel range though.

Will try to get it to the dealer one of these days.

Old 09-07-2017 | 06:09 AM
snowdevil23
|
Advanced

going in next Thursday, dcubb u r explaining it to a t on what happened to me. let u know what happens after slave change out. im not alone I guess.

Old 09-07-2017 | 08:58 PM
dcubb
Stage III

After sitting a few days, the squeeky slave cylinder issue has completely gone away. But I fully expect it to return, lol.

I guess that as soon as it does, I need to load the bike on a trailer and haul it straight to the dealer before it fixes itself again.

Quick Reply: slave cylinder in clutch issue