Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maintenance plans serviced anywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 10:02 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts
Default Maintenance plans serviced anywhere?

So I'm at work, and dont have my purchase contract with me. Also couldn't find anything online about this.

My questions is: can any dealership perform the scheduled maintenance?

I'm kinda pissed at my dealership, so already wont spend another dime there for parts, but I'd like to never have to go to them if I can get away with it. Plus, another dealership that's a little further from me, is actually building their new dealership not 7 miles from where I live and work! So that will be SO convenient!

I'm thinking no, but was hopeful.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:47 AM
oldsoldier181
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 14,586 Likes on 4,795 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
So I'm at work, and dont have my purchase contract with me. Also couldn't find anything online about this.

My questions is: can any dealership perform the scheduled maintenance?

I'm kinda pissed at my dealership, so already wont spend another dime there for parts, but I'd like to never have to go to them if I can get away with it. Plus, another dealership that's a little further from me, is actually building their new dealership not 7 miles from where I live and work! So that will be SO convenient!

I'm thinking no, but was hopeful.
Yes. Same as car dealerships. I bought a Jeep in July, well away from where I live. There is a dealership within 10 miles of me, that I can go to for service. They are an authorized dealer, so they can perform work and service and that doesnt monkey with my warranty. HD is the same thing. So long as you go to an authorized dealer, you will be fine.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:27 AM
Roorat60
Tourer
Received 102 Likes on 64 Posts

What about an independent service center? I prefer to avoid the extreme costs the HD dealer service centers charge me, but I want to keep the warranty.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:45 AM
RBWIDE
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Roorat60
What about an independent service center? I prefer to avoid the extreme costs the HD dealer service centers charge me, but I want to keep the warranty.
Then you better make sure they keep records of ALL work performed to keep your warranty intact. To be honest, I'm not sure a simple receipt would be good enough. Maybe a detailed receipt, like a work order would be.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:48 AM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: ArmyVeteran: Navy
Received 6,596 Likes on 1,817 Posts

ESP or maintenance? Maintenance agreements are between the customer and the purchasing dealer. You are pre-paying for maintenance at THAT dealership. Not good anywhere else. ESP is extended warranty coverage. Any normal service and warranty work/ESP work can be done at any authorized location, but you will pay any monies due to that location.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:49 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

I had a different dealer do my 1000. It was owned by the same owner, but in a word..........yes. I kept my paperwork on the bike in the owners manual bag in tour pack. Service contract? That is different from just regular service so.... Im not sure sorry.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:04 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member

Yes again, I'm not talking about warranty work. I'm talking about the service plan I got with the bike purchase. The plan basically gives me "free" services....1000k service, 2500k service, 5000k service.....all covered under the plan.

I was thinking this would have to be done only through the actual dealership I purchased the bike and plan through. Hoping that's not the case though, so I can start taking it somewhere else.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:17 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,371 Likes on 4,780 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Yes again, I'm not talking about warranty work. I'm talking about the service plan I got with the bike purchase. The plan basically gives me "free" services....1000k service, 2500k service, 5000k service.....all covered under the plan.

I was thinking this would have to be done only through the actual dealership I purchased the bike and plan through. Hoping that's not the case though, so I can start taking it somewhere else.
I could be wrong, but I believe the prepaid maintenance contract included with the bike purchase is offered thru the purchasing dealership and restricted to that dealership only. Factory Warranty and ESP coverage is good anywhere..

The following users liked this post:
14GuineaPig (12-29-2017)
Old 08-25-2017, 12:22 PM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 459 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
I could be wrong, but I believe the prepaid maintenance contract included with the bike purchase is offered thru the purchasing dealership and restricted to that dealership only. Factory Warranty and ESP coverage is good anywhere..
Thats my understanding as well as. I have never purchased a prepaid service contract but assume its between the selling dealer and the buyer, not the MOCO and the buyer

The following users liked this post:
14GuineaPig (12-29-2017)
Old 08-25-2017, 12:31 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mxdad
Thats my understanding as well as. I have never purchased a prepaid service contract but assume its between the selling dealer and the buyer, not the MOCO and the buyer
Yeah, I was thinking that was the deal. Just wanted to make sure. I'll still go home and read the contract. I think I saw someone post something about that being different, but maybe they were also talking about warranty or ESP plans.

Quick Reply: Maintenance plans serviced anywhere?