Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noticable difference of wethead and aircooled?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 09:10 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts
Default Noticable difference of wethead and aircooled?

Hi All. I thinking seriously of trading my 14 Limited for a M8 Road Glide. My dilemma is that I really like the Laguna Orange. This will be my touring bike, so I will need he creature comports for Mrs. Beary. I'm considering adding the Laguna Orange Tour Pack and Lower Fairings along with a better seat and rear shocks.

But I'm wondering about the engine. I like my 14 Limited Wethead. Will I wish I had it back? What are the differences between the M8 aircooled and 8 Wethead that I will notice while riding?

Thanks ahead for your help.

Beary

Old 08-21-2017, 09:14 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Being serious, probably very close to the difference between riding your Limited and King.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:28 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,365 Likes on 4,776 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
Hi All. I thinking seriously of trading my 14 Limited for a M8 Road Glide. My dilemma is that I really like the Laguna Orange. This will be my touring bike, so I will need he creature comports for Mrs. Beary. I'm considering adding the Laguna Orange Tour Pack and Lower Fairings along with a better seat and rear shocks.

But I'm wondering about the engine. I like my 14 Limited Wethead. Will I wish I had it back? What are the differences between the M8 aircooled and 8 Wethead that I will notice while riding?

Thanks ahead for your help.

Beary
better shocks still won't change the fact you'll have 2" of rear suspension travel for a 2 Up Touring bike..unless you're going longer as well, and not sure that change is without some negative..maybe, maybe not..if you don't have to have the Laguna Orange I think you'd be much better off getting the RGU..good luck

Old 08-21-2017, 09:43 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

If you like the limited liquid cooling but you are now interested in a road glide, Id get the ultra road glide. If you are going after the color, then the road glide is the bike for you. I think when you look at both of them and do the math for what the ultra standard features come with, you might think about the ultra.... conflict is good.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:59 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

Yes, want the Ultra Road Glide, but really like that Laguna color. I know it sounds silly, but that' why I ask the question. I remember testing the Rushmore RGS and RGU, the RGS felt more peppy to me. I didn't ride them long enough to tell a difference in heat. The M8 exhaust is different, so I would expect a difference between the two just in heat.

Beary

Old 08-21-2017, 10:14 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior

I can tell you this much about my Ultra Limited, Its probably very very close to your Limited insofar as heat is concerned. If you like the way your bike operates in the heat, you will like the way the liquid cooled M8's operate in heat. That being said, you will really like the RGU features over the RG features. Test drive one. Have you ever ridden a RG before? I havent, wish I did though, I might have bought the shark. Guys love them, the way they handle on the road. I just thought I wouldnt like the stationary fairing, so I bought the bat wing...... The Laguna orange is bad *** though..... Food for thought.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:18 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior

Here you go, this is a really nice color.... Man I like this bike too. wish I wouldve tested this one.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:22 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

I would think there would be a noticeable heat difference in oil cooled RGS versus your Ultra.
That might be a deciding factor. Bad thing is, you need to test ride one long enough and in hot conditions to see how much hotter it runs. I personally thing mine is really hot at times, but never owned another harley to compare to. MY Honda Aero 1100 wasn't this hot.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:25 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,072 Likes on 3,629 Posts

Originally Posted by TomcatCV62
Here you go, this is a really nice color.... Man I like this bike too. wish I wouldve tested this one.
Dam, that color really pop's. Beautiful.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:43 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,608 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
I would think there would be a noticeable heat difference in oil cooled RGS versus your Ultra.
There really isnt. The Twin Cooled and liquid cooled M8 engines run at higher compression (thus the better performance), which generates heat (thus the need for liquid cooling), so at the end of the day, its really a wash.

And there are some odd things about these engines - the heat exhaust vent is right about where your foot and ankle are if you use highway pegs.

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (08-21-2017)

Quick Reply: Noticable difference of wethead and aircooled?