M8 AFR's

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 06:23 AM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts
Default M8 AFR's

G'day folks from OZ
I was perusing the M8 section about mods for this engine and noticed that it looks like they are way rich straight out of the box,all the dyno graph's and feedback suggests it. I'll be buying an 2018 M8 if they're made in a twin shock glide model or softy frame and yea will be making it run a little better.
I mean with EPA's and the like , why would they be running rich ?
My take is HD knows most people will grab a high flow air filter and a set of higher flowing can/cans or maybe even a pipe .
I'm an Aussie if you can't understand me maybe I'll type slower.(jk)
Anyway what's your take ?

Old 08-16-2017, 06:37 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,366 Likes on 4,777 Posts

understand you perfectly..except for "G'day folks"..shouldn't that be "Mates"..jk..only reason i can think of AFR is where it is in Open Loop is because they decided it runs best there..how's that for scientific...anyway, my Harley tech/tuner leaned things out on the dyno for me using the SEPST...best running Harley i have ever owned or ridden and it's not even close..over 12 K miles and just replaced original spark plugs and they could not have looked more normal

Attached Thumbnails M8 AFR's-img_0588.jpg  

Last edited by mjwebb; 08-16-2017 at 06:41 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:51 AM
badcooky
Banned

Actually Webby yours was one of the graphs I was referring to(awesome results by the way) , and Wide Open cycles as well, as Steve Cole (I think) it was , all indicated a rich mix straight off the bat that was still slightly rich even with the mild mods I suggested.
The open loop thing could be right BUT from what I know shouldn't be , not that I know much Webby , but yea it could be .
We've run strip cars and rods in open loop to make HP but never a registered vehicle .
I'm old though things could be different.

Last edited by badcooky; 08-16-2017 at 07:09 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:02 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by badcooky
Actually Webby yours was one of the graphs I was referring to(awesome results by the way) , and Wide Open cycles as well, as Steve Cole (I think) it was , all suggested a rich mix straight off the bat that was still slightly rich even with the mild mods I suggested.
The open loop thing could be right BUT from what I know shouldn't be , not that I know much Webby , but yea it could be .
We've run strip cars and rods in open loop to make HP but never a registered vehicle .
I'm old though things could be different.
I don't really have enough knowledge to know what's 'right or wrong' other than spark plug color and running condition but i think I'll let this set of plugs go 20K since I couldn't tell a difference in how it ran after replacing them..could have left well enough alone for sure..I'm in love with my 2-4K torque curve..it's where I spend most of my time

Last edited by mjwebb; 08-16-2017 at 07:08 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:22 AM
badcooky
Banned

Yea your dyno graphs torque looks really strong there .
I'm really hoping they put this motor in the lighter Twin Shock frames , whatever the old
"Super glides" and "Wide glides" are called now, I'll be buying basement bargain whatever's the cheapest , just to own one.
Keeping my old Evo though , she's been good to me.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 07:25 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by badcooky
Yea your dyno graphs torque looks really strong there .
I'm really hoping they put this motor in the lighter Twin Shock frames , whatever the old
"Super glides" and "Wide glides" are called now, I'll be buying basement bargain whatever's the cheapest , just to own one.
Keeping my old Evo though , she's been good to me.
they will..they need to sunset the TC due to stricter EPA

The following users liked this post:
badcooky (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 07:35 AM
badcooky
Banned

I remember back in 84 here in Australia we still got Shovels not the new Evo , we didn't get them till 85. But my mates 84 Shovel had a five speed box hey just like the Evo's one.
If I remember correctly that is.
Yea I've been down to local HD and there's some wicked mid year deals on Twinkies to get them out the door, for me it might mean the M8 range is expanding.
****ing hope so,don't want to wait another year , been saving for this.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:20 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 512 Likes on 334 Posts

FYI. Steve Cole early on noticed the richness in open loop mode and leaned it out in his testing. He found it made no increase in power so concluded the M8 needed to run richer. Steve Cole owns TTS.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:30 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by martin10
FYI. Steve Cole early on noticed the richness in open loop mode and leaned it out in his testing. He found it made no increase in power so concluded the M8 needed to run richer. Steve Cole owns TTS.
i remembered that and was going to ask them about it when i saw my results but since i don't really know wtf i'm talking about just dropped it. Clearly they were able to improve my engine performance over the stage 1 calibration by dyno tuning with the sepst. Maybe the factory rich afr is better for the engine overall, maybe leaning it out was a mistake, but i have no idea

Old 08-16-2017, 09:39 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 512 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
i remembered that and was going to ask them about it when i saw my results but since i don't really know wtf i'm talking about just dropped it. Clearly they were able to improve my engine performance over the stage 1 calibration by dyno tuning with the sepst. Maybe the factory rich afr is better for the engine overall, maybe leaning it out was a mistake, but i have no idea
Your tune was a success story. No need to question that. My guess is they were able to get it closer than the canned map allowed. Since your Stage 1 is all SE I doubt any other tuner or dyno guy could make any worth while difference.

Quick Reply: M8 AFR's