Sponsored by:

The AfterMarket Stereo Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 09:24 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts
Default The AfterMarket Stereo Install

Well I finally finished my complete stereo amp and speaker upgrade on my 17 Road glide standard.

Here is my parts list:

front fairing speakers Pioneer TS-A1676R 6.5-Inch 3-Way Speakers rated at 320 watts. direct bolt in with no adaptors

Saddle bag speakers Pioneer TS-A6995R 6x9 5 way speakers rated at 600 watts

Soundstream PN4.520D 520W 4 Channel Class D Picasso Series Compact Amplifier PN4520D

Saddle bag lids Advan Black Superior Blue 6X9 Saddle Bags Speaker Lids

All total, I was around 600 bucks including the lids for the set up. A similar set up with something like hog tunes would have ran me close to 1300 to 1400 bucks including the saddle bag lids.

The original plan was to install the amp in the fairing. one quick check proved that was impossible with the size of the amp. I had to set that in the saddle bag which I hated since I lost storage capacity. But thinking about it, if I ever had an issue with the amp or blew a fuse on it, its very easy to get to now that its in the saddle bag.

the stock head unit only has 2 channels unless I got it flashed (which I didn't). I got my source at the speaker output from the head unit and ran wires back to the saddle bag for the amp input. I split the source for both front and back for each side.

I got power directly from the battery and I got remote power from the power wire from the 12 volt plug on the left side of the fairing. the remote power for the amp has to be from a line that is only active with the ignition on.

From the amp, I ran output lines back to the fairing and to each saddle bag. I set the gain to about 1/2 so I did not blow out the front speakers. With the amp, I had to tune the bass output on the head unit almost down to zero. I maxed out the treble. much more than zero on the bass would definitely blow out the speakers. Trust me even at a very low level, there is plenty of bass coming out of the system.

Advantages:

The system I have is CLEARLY superior to the hog tunes system. MUCH more sound and at a lower price. By coming out of the output line to the front speakers, I avoided the cost of flashing the head unit (maybe 40 bucks at a dealer).

Disadvantages:

Definitely not plug and play. I was good friends with the soldering iron, flux, wire cutters and shrink tubing. I also lost some saddle bag space.

oh and I lost one bolt to my fairing.

The following users liked this post:
HDRider17 (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 10:11 AM
DRBUICK
Road Master
Received 323 Likes on 202 Posts

Thats a pretty good deal cheaper than the boom stuff for sure

Old 08-09-2017, 10:11 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,922 Likes on 3,290 Posts

Originally Posted by jclax01
Well I finally finished my complete stereo amp and speaker upgrade on my 17 Road glide standard.

Here is my parts list:

front fairing speakers Pioneer TS-A1676R 6.5-Inch 3-Way Speakers rated at 320 watts. direct bolt in with no adaptors

Soundstream PN4.520D 520W 4 Channel Class D Picasso Series Compact Amplifier PN4520D

All total, I was around 600 bucks including the lids for the set up. A similar set up with something like hog tunes would have ran me close to 1300 to 1400 bucks including the saddle bag lids.

The original plan was to install the amp in the fairing. one quick check proved that was impossible with the size of the amp. I had to set that in the saddle bag which I hated since I lost storage capacity. But thinking about it, if I ever had an issue with the amp or blew a fuse on it, its very easy to get to now that its in the saddle bag.

the stock head unit only has 2 channels unless I got it flashed (which I didn't). I got my source at the speaker output from the head unit and ran wires back to the saddle bag for the amp input. I split the source for both front and back for each side.

I got power directly from the battery and I got remote power from the power wire from the 12 volt plug on the left side of the fairing. the remote power for the amp has to be from a line that is only active with the ignition on.

From the amp, I ran output lines back to the fairing and to each saddle bag. I set the gain to about 1/2 so I did not blow out the front speakers. With the amp, I had to tune the bass output on the head unit almost down to zero. I maxed out the treble. much more than zero on the bass would definitely blow out the speakers. Trust me even at a very low level, there is plenty of bass coming out of the system.

Advantages:

The system I have is CLEARLY superior to the hog tunes system. MUCH more
sound and at a lower price. By coming out of the output line to the front speakers, I avoided the cost of flashing the head unit (maybe 40 bucks at a dealer).

Disadvantages:

Definitely not plug and play. I was good friends with the soldering iron, flux, wire cutters and shrink tubing. I also lost some saddle bag space.

Get out the camera and post some pics and turn on the video so we can hear it!!

Old 08-09-2017, 12:18 PM
HDRider17
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jclax01

Here is my parts list:

Advantages:

The system I have is CLEARLY superior to the hog tunes system. MUCH more sound and at a lower price. By coming out of the output line to the front speakers, I avoided the cost of flashing the head unit (maybe 40 bucks at a dealer).

Disadvantages:

Pictures and video, or it didn't happen!!!

Old 08-09-2017, 12:40 PM
jclax01
Road Warrior

Why did I post this at work were I don't have the photos and videos available. LOL. info will be forthcoming after I get off today.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:58 PM
jclax01
Road Warrior

just a warning, my music isn't exactly PG. you have been advised. lol

Before

After

The following users liked this post:
prowler58 (08-09-2017)