Sponsored by:

compression test on m8

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2021, 04:38 PM
Kwikwilson007
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
that general rule of thumb makes things soooooo much easier to follow.....ever since I was was a youngster on motorcycles it has always been pounded into my head that the only accurate reading was checking HOT but getting sick of trying to decipher the fluctuation in readings, getting burned, dripping hot oil on the exhaust and all those wonderful things to try and keep the level where I think it belongs...no more than 1/2 way COLD like the manual states from now on..thanks
Correct .. had the same problem on three different builds . It’s common and it’s just the nature of the oiling system on all Harley’s . Mine stays halfway between the marks when cold . Sometimes after long interstate runs it’s up past the full mark due to whatever is standing in the crankcase.. As long as you have good hot flowing oil and at least that when cold , the bike is working normally.. Nature of Harley’s …

Old 11-21-2021, 05:52 PM
SMR65
Road Master
Received 877 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwikwilson007
Correct .. had the same problem on three different builds . It’s common and it’s just the nature of the oiling system on all Harley’s . Mine stays halfway between the marks when cold . Sometimes after long interstate runs it’s up past the full mark due to whatever is standing in the crankcase.. As long as you have good hot flowing oil and at least that when cold , the bike is working normally.. Nature of Harley’s …
Its been 4 years 3 months and 14 days and im waiting for a response MJ. LOL

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (11-22-2021)
Old 11-22-2021, 10:16 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,213 Likes on 2,449 Posts

Interesting what HD did. On the Twin Cam's and Sportys the acceptable leak-down is 10% or less. On the M8's they went to a ridiculous 25%, and even then it is not necessarily out of spec...it just requires further diagnosis.

Here's a vid about oil levels-

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 11-22-2021, 10:40 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,349 Likes on 4,769 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Interesting what HD did. On the Twin Cam's and Sportys the acceptable leak-down is 10% or less. On the M8's they went to a ridiculous 25%, and even then it is not necessarily out of spec...it just requires further diagnosis.

Here's a vid about oil levels-

https://youtu.be/gJ0vYAitUqU?t=249
I agree with following your OM procedures..but you refer to COLD oil check, whereas the OM states regarding the HOT oil level check to be:

"If oil level is at or below the ADD QT mark, add only enough oil to bring the level to the FULL HOT mark. Do not overfill."

the other thing is the HOT or COLD check should be after the engine was allowed to idle for a couple minutes because, as you know, if shut down immediately and checked either HOT or COLD later, the dipstick will have a lower reading than it should..which is a problem because people then may add oil when they wouldn't need to

Old 11-22-2021, 01:47 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by mjwebb
I agree with following your OM procedures..but you refer to COLD oil check, whereas the OM states regarding the HOT oil level check to be:

"If oil level is at or below the ADD QT mark, add only enough oil to bring the level to the FULL HOT mark. Do not overfill."

the other thing is the HOT or COLD check should be after the engine was allowed to idle for a couple minutes because, as you know, if shut down immediately and checked either HOT or COLD later, the dipstick will have a lower reading than it should..which is a problem because people then may add oil when they wouldn't need to

Yes, but as we know, those two different instructions in the OM are in conflict with each other. When you do a cold check (after letting in run for a couple of minutes) it works well.

When you use the hot check, it almost never matches up with the rest of the instructions in the OM.

PLUS, most folks fail to read your highlighted instructions-

If it is not at or below the add qt mark, they add oil anyway...which is NOT what the instructions say to do.

The hot check is a waste of time in determining ideal oil fill.

Old 11-22-2021, 02:47 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,411 Likes on 5,011 Posts

Leakdown test should be one part of a diagnosis.

If an engine is not using oil, and is performing properly, a leakdown of 25 percent is ok, because obviously the engine is not leaking bad while it is running...

That`s the thing about compression testing and leakdown testing, they are static tests.

Old 11-24-2021, 03:41 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

I wonder if there is any engine builder that would build an engine and find 25% leak down acceptable.

Old 11-24-2021, 05:14 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,411 Likes on 5,011 Posts

I wonder if there is any engine builder that would build an engine and find 25% leak down acceptable.
Continental aircraft engines...

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 11-24-2021 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-24-2021, 05:15 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,349 Likes on 4,769 Posts

I know of at least one..that also considers 1 quart of oil consumption every 1500 miles as acceptable

The following users liked this post:
Dan89FLSTC (11-24-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 11:29 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 618 Likes on 425 Posts

25% leak down is not acceptable in any performance engine! IMO anything above 5% begs investigatin. Ideal is 1-3%.
Bob

Quick Reply: compression test on m8