Sponsored by:

stock m8 ping

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 08:16 AM
hollandhunter
Road Captain
Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts
Default stock m8 ping

Well this is the first issue I have ran into with my new m8. So far i love the bike but. When im cruising and hit the throttle pretty hard sometimes to pass or something i get a light pinging noise from the motor that seems to come and go real quick. I hear it mostly on the left side of the bike. It doesnt do it at idle or normal riding just when i twist the throttle pretty good. Bike has right at 1000 miles. Taking it in Friday for 1k mile service. Figured i would mention it to them as well an see if they can address it. If they dont have any fix for it i may buy another license for my powervision and see if i can tune it out that way. I want to do a stage 1 anyway soon but wanna make sure everything is good before i go to letting the warrenty fly out the window. Any Advice? Bike runs good but the pinging has my attention and i want it fixed. Im going to say alot of people prolly wouldnt even notice it because its not real loud at all when it does it and you really have to listen for it but its there.
Wife and I are going to ride down to the smokeys in a couple weeks and ride the dragons tail while down there. So i hope its not going to be a big problem.
I have tries a few different gas and cant tell that it made any differenc. Of course i only put premium in it.

Last edited by hollandhunter; 08-02-2017 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:18 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

I think what you're hearing is valve train noise. I wouldnt worry about it.

If you're that concerned about it, you can monitor and display knock events real time with your PV. Mount it, ride it, and see if its a problem.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:23 AM
hollandhunter
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Keithhu
I think what you're hearing is valve train noise. I wouldnt worry about it.

If you're that concerned about it, you can monitor and display knock events real time with your PV. Mount it, ride it, and see if its a problem.
I hope your right. Only does it when you twist on the throttle pretty good and is more like a tink tink tink sound. Kinda sounds like pee gravel hitting the front fender slighly. Also wanna add i live in the south and it has been 90 or above most of the time when riding it.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:25 AM
hollandhunter
Road Captain

Originally Posted by hollandhunter
I hope your right. Only does it when you twist on the throttle pretty good and is more like a tink tink tink sound. Kinda sounds like pee gravel hitting the front fender slighly. Also wanna add i live in the south and it has been 90 or above most of the time when riding it.
It kinda reminds me of ol pickup i use to have it would give almost the same sound when i ran cheap gas and was going up a big hill with heavy throttle. But not near as loud.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:49 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Before I did my 107 build when I had a 2013, I could swear it was pinging like a bitch all the time. Mostly when it was hot and I was accelerating as you describe, but it sounded nasty to me.

When Fuel Moto pulled it apart, I asked them to tell me if there was evidence of pinging and they said no, which to me was remarkable. I do think they sound similar.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:56 AM
hollandhunter
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Before I did my 107 build when I had a 2013, I could swear it was pinging like a bitch all the time. Mostly when it was hot and I was accelerating as you describe, but it sounded nasty to me.

When Fuel Moto pulled it apart, I asked them to tell me if there was evidence of pinging and they said no, which to me was remarkable. I do think they sound similar.
Cool. Sure wish i lived closer to fuel moto. But i would have less money in my pocket so i guess its a good thing. Ha.
I have to say that if my new M8 was even half as loud as my previous bikes exhaust i wouldnt ever hear what im hearing i dont think. But since the M8 is so silent from the factory you can really fet a ear full of what your engine is doing.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:26 AM
jgos929
Road Warrior
Received 219 Likes on 87 Posts

What Octane fuel are you running? If you're running a low grade like 87 it very well could be a ping.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:32 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 512 Likes on 334 Posts

I had an old Jeep that pinged like crazy. Took it back to dealer twice. They said it was normal. Kept it for 15 years and 175k miles. Still ran fine and still pinged

Old 08-02-2017, 10:39 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by hollandhunter
When im cruising and hit the throttle pretty hard sometimes to pass or something i get a light pinging noise from the motor that seems to come and go real quick.
Mine was doing this exact same thing. I did the stage one with the SE tuner download and it fixed it.

The following users liked this post:
TurkeyRun (08-04-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 10:46 AM
hollandhunter
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jgos929
What Octane fuel are you running? If you're running a low grade like 87 it very well could be a ping.
93 only. never ran anything less in any of my bikes.

Quick Reply: stock m8 ping