Sponsored by:

M8 Tuners Pro and Cons

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 10:36 PM
PHX M8
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default M8 Tuners Pro and Cons

I'm considering installing a Catless Exhaust on my Road King. I consulted the dealership regarding the D and D Billet cat but also like the Samson Black Cholos in 33in for road king M8. For the D and D the dealer quoted me
1249.00 for the D and D 2 into 1
399.95 for the fuel pack
300. in Dyno time
they also had the Dyno Jet tuner (no price listed and HD 41000008c tuner for $300.
All this is over $2000 labor and tax
If I have the dealer install this they would have my back on the Eng warranty but I could save a few bucks if I bought this stuff on line and installed it my self. Samson is known to give our members a deal that the dealer wont, also the tax on the parts is big bucks on 1500 to 1600 in parts,
Is Dyno Time really necessary for a set of Samsons or a D and D billit cat and no other mods?

The VH fuel pack claims to have programs and auto tuning that should be a cinch for just Exhaust and maybe a Modified Intake.
The Bike is still almost new just approaching 1000 miles I am not impressed with the slipon options and dont live in California with its CARB bullshit

So whats the Scoop on Tuners, in 22 months I will be out of warranty anyway.
PHX

Last edited by PHX M8; 07-31-2017 at 08:50 AM. Reason: typos and math errors
Old 07-31-2017, 06:43 AM
jrpd45
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I say buy online, do it yourself and save thousands. These are simple mods that be done by anyone who can read. You can look at directcycleparts.com, revzilla.com or fuelmoto. Great prices and customer service. Directcycleparts has the FP3 for $305. Revzilla and directcyle both have price match guarantees. Just my .02. Good luck which ever way you go.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:10 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,376 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX M8
I'm considering installing a Catless Exhaust on my Road King. I consulted the dealership regarding the D and D Billet cat but also like the Samson Black Cholos in 33in for road king M8. For the D and D the dealer quoted me
1249.00 for the D and D 2 into 1
399.95 for the fuel pack
300. in Dyno time
they also had the Dyno Jet tuner (no price listed and HD 41000008c tuner for $300.
All this is over $2000 labor and tax
If I have the dealer install this they would have my back on the Eng warranty but I could save a few bucks if I bought this stuff on line and installed it my self. Samson is known to give our members a deal that the dealer wont, also the tax on the parts is big bucks on 1500 to 1600 in parts,
Is Dyno Time really necessary for a set of Samsons or a D and D billit cat and no other mods?

The VH fuel pack claims to have programs and auto tuning that should be a cinch for just Exhaust and maybe a Modified Intake.
The Bike is still almost new just approaching 100 miles I am not impressed with the slipon options and dont live in California with its CARB bullshit

So whats the Scoop on Tuners, in 20 months I will be out of warranty anyway.
PHX
"If I have the dealer install this they would have my back on the Eng warranty" well I'd get that in writing.say you have an oil pump failure and your motors melts..warranty claim sends MOCO, they deny claim because of aftermarket parts...needs new engine...your dealer will buy you a new one and install it no charge? I'd want that in writing.. with 100 miles on your bike and 20 months of warranty left just a thought...curious, guessing you bought this bike used based on "just approaching 100 miles" and "in 20 months I will be out of warranty"...<100 miles in four months of ownership

Old 07-31-2017, 07:49 AM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: ArmyVeteran: Navy
Received 6,614 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Besides the BS of $300 "dyno time" ( I don't know of any reputable dyno tuner tuning with the FP3), there have been reports of denied warranty coverage with the FP3 units, here on this board. The SE Street tuner maintains warranty, if installed with SE slip-ons and SE AC, during the first 60 days of initial ownership. After that, it just carries the over the counter parts warranty.
Once you are out of warranty, or no longer care about it, then use a flash tuner, like TTS Mastertune, which will allow for complete dialing in of the ECM to whatever components you chose- stages 1-5, up to complete custom 150" dragon slayer.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:52 AM
PHX M8
Advanced

Typo Im approaching 1000 mi and actually 22 months to go on warranty. I bought the bike with 7mi as a new bike Production date 5 17

I like the idea of doing my own work, I may blow in the dealers ear a bit with the 1000 mi service and the 5000 mi and 10000 mi serv but Id probably be better off installing the pipes my self and getting my own tuner. I could probably swap back to stock pipes and reflash the stock tune is I had an eng failure in the 22 months. At the current rate I'm going I should have 12 to 15000 on the bike when it goes out of warranty. The Motor will for sure have a problem if it's gonna by then.

By the way I have only a little Bike Repair experience but I am a Master Automotive Technician with 2 car Manufactures and ASE who respects the differences of doing my own non warranty repairs. Thats why I did my own
Handlebar Swap to my 12" Apes

Is this Dyno Time Really Nessasary? I'm happy with the bikes power and fuel economy. Both exhaust manufactures say it needs to be tuned. I will send out an Email today to Samson and D and D

Last edited by PHX M8; 07-31-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:07 AM
dwagar
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

For Stage 1 I'd suggest you get the Street Tuner (to stay in warranty), and buy the cables (they don't come with the tuner), flash the Stage 1, then do a couple of auto tune runs. That should be fine.

Having said that, I just had the dealer install the torque cam. They did the Stage 2 flash, said it's fine for most everyone. Well, I'm not real happy with it. I just did 3 auto tune runs, it's better, but I'm still going to take it to the Indy I trust with a Dyno. I'll have them dial it in as best they can with a Street Tuner. When my warranty expires in 2 years, I'll buy a real tuner and get it dynoed properly.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:17 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,922 Likes on 3,290 Posts

I'll be honest, I wouldn't dyno a bike unless it was a stage 3 or 4. Our local dealer has dyno numbers written on a board in the service dept, has the guys name and his bike. I hear guys ask all the time, what parts the #1 or #2 guy used and then the selling begins.
Dyno numbers are for a dick swinging contest. Guy's who run NHRA drag bikes don't announce dyno numbers for Pete's sake. The dealer has a lot of inventory, labor and a big *** building to pay for. they sucker guys in with this crap 7 days a week. You could easily have a stage 2 done, call Fuel Moto give them the specs and they would send you a map that would get you within a few HP torque numbers a dyno would put you in.

If you wanna give your bike to someone and let them run it up to the limiter for sake of having some sheet in your hand to post on a board, go for it.

The following users liked this post:
PHX M8 (08-01-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 05:24 PM
dwagar
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

A dyno doesn't have to be about numbers. It's also to get the proper A/F in all ranges, that is pretty damn hard to do with auto tune runs.

Oz Dan (08-01-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 05:46 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,922 Likes on 3,290 Posts

Originally Posted by dwagar
A dyno doesn't have to be about numbers. It's also to get the proper A/F in all ranges, that is pretty damn hard to do with auto tune runs.

so what you're saying is, your motor is somehow different on a dyno than someone else with the exact same cam, pipes and air cleaner? You understand how lucldicriius this is right? Somehow, a map with some slight change of AF ratio by the slighest amount will make you faster than the next guy with the same config? Maybe if your running 1/4 mile where thousands of a second are win or lose but other than that, it's a pipe dream you've been sold.

The dealers are all selling the same stuff, the numbers will all be within a factor that means nothing to the average rider.
it's your money, go for it

PHX M8 (08-01-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 08:00 PM
PHX M8
Advanced
Default Heard back from Samson

They say a Vance and Hines Fuel Pack 3 would be great for just pipes and no Dyno Needed.

I know Harley Would not approve and probably void my warranty. I will consider getting some pipes after my 1000 mi serv.

No offence but the Slip Ons are too powder puff for me.
PHX

Quick Reply: M8 Tuners Pro and Cons