Sponsored by:

M8 Tuners Pro and Cons

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 08:41 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,090 Likes on 2,043 Posts
Default Dyno

I have just a stage one, a measly 2000 worth of parts, and after a few attempts at getting my fm map straightened out I just couldn't get it good enough. So off to the dyno it went...best 350 bucks I've spent since that night I tijuana. Some guys love tinkering with their bikes forever. I like to know that the money I spent to get more performance is actually giving me my money's worth. I'm doing cams and heads over the winter and guess what??? It's going back to tuned again. Say whatever you want about its a waste of money but at least I know it's running just right, spend all that money and then wonder how much better it could be???who's being fooled??? Lol...not waving anything just my piece of mind

Old 07-31-2017, 10:05 PM
IBAHOG
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just bought the screamin eagle heavy breather and screamin eagle pipes and will install them and have Harley install and download the tuner ..about a $1000 .. I feel like it was a waste of $$$ but m8 runs pretty strong so went the warranty is done it b new pipes and a real tuner... had the 1000 mile Service done at the dealership 3500 miles now checked the transmission fluid and it was 3 ounces low ....

Old 07-31-2017, 11:23 PM
PHX M8
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah and my dealer pesters me for a positive survey wants the extra key, owners manual for the Yamaha I traded and the Garmin Navigation I share with my KTM.

I've worked for car dealers for 23 years I know the game. You have to give to get.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:32 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,922 Likes on 3,290 Posts

People wonder why the CEO of HD is raking in the cash and you need look any further than a forum like this where people are adding on SE products because it adds HP torque and keeps the warranty. It's the greatest gimmick out there.

Take Victory for instance, you can buy a Lloydz timing wheel for $165.00 including gasket, change it yourself in about 45 minutes and get the same HP and torque gains you get spending $2k on a stage 1.

Vic's stock stereo's are 100 watts and the bikes will flat out run down your new RGS. HD could easily put a 100 watt stereo in their bikes, have a 100hp engine and easily keep a warranty. If they couldn't then they wouldn't sell SE motors under full warranty that make more than that.

It's been like this forever, the moco is smart and the genius behind it all is the branding and the stage packages we all buy.

Vics are ugly, HD has the style and they know it. Once Polaris loses about $500M on the Indian it'll get shelved again for the 5th time. I think Polaris will bring back the Vic eventually because the Indians are frickin hideous.

The following users liked this post:
PHX M8 (08-02-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 07:36 AM
dwagar
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
so what you're saying is, your motor is somehow different on a dyno than someone else with the exact same cam, pipes and air cleaner? You understand how lucldicriius this is right? Somehow, a map with some slight change of AF ratio by the slighest amount will make you faster than the next guy with the same config? Maybe if your running 1/4 mile where thousands of a second are win or lose but other than that, it's a pipe dream you've been sold.

The dealers are all selling the same stuff, the numbers will all be within a factor that means nothing to the average rider.
it's your money, go for it
I didn't say anything about faster, I didn't say anything about racing. I don't give a **** about dyno numbers. I said running properly. If you think a map is going to run the same at sea level and at my house (I live at 4100 feet), you are being sold the pipe dream.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:37 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by dwagar
I didn't say anything about faster, I didn't say anything about racing. I said running properly. If you think a map is going to run the same at sea level and at my house (I live at 4100 feet), you are being sold the pipe dream.
Ok Don, I know nothing. Got it. Have a great day.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:52 AM
PHX M8
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I'm for sure a Harley Loyalist

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
People wonder why the CEO of HD is raking in the cash and you need look any further than a forum like this where people are adding on SE products because it adds HP torque and keeps the warranty. It's the greatest gimmick out there.

Take Victory for instance, you can buy a Lloydz timing wheel for $165.00 including gasket, change it yourself in about 45 minutes and get the same HP and torque gains you get spending $2k on a stage 1.

Vic's stock stereo's are 100 watts and the bikes will flat out run down your new RGS. HD could easily put a 100 watt stereo in their bikes, have a 100hp engine and easily keep a warranty. If they couldn't then they wouldn't sell SE motors under full warranty that make more than that.

It's been like this forever, the moco is smart and the genius behind it all is the branding and the stage packages we all buy.

Vics are ugly, HD has the style and they know it. Once Polaris loses about $500M on the Indian it'll get shelved again for the 5th time. I think Polaris will bring back the Vic eventually because the Indians are frickin hideous.
Yeah the Vic's always looked like **** for sure, I saw a new Black Indian Springfield up in Cave Creek with a chick riding it that looked good. Both the Bike and the Chick. I would not trade my Black Road king for it but it looked pretty good. HD are for sure Marketing Geniuses total agreement there. My fiancee has spent so much in Dealer HD Clothing she could have bought a Bike by now!!!!!!

Old 08-01-2017, 10:47 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member

Just look what the brand includes, leathers, T-shirts, gloves, waxes, polishes, bags, bungee cords, helmets, boots, pipes, stage 1-5.. Hell, I even saw a Harley Davidson Spray Nozzle for your damn water hose!!. I was reading my manual the other day and it says "do not use forced air to dry your bike" Harley recommends using HOG Blaster Motorcycle Dryer-94651-09... HAHA!!! $129.00

First time Harley owners get sucked in like a 2 year old in the middle of a class 5 tornado. Hook-Line & Sinker!! The Moco owns these fools left and and right, all the way to the dyno machine with their stage 1. Buhahhaha!!!

Old 08-01-2017, 11:11 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 620 Likes on 427 Posts

Fact is if all you do is stage 1 or add an se torque or hp cam, the HD Streetuner will work fine to get the bike recalibrated to run smoothly with good response. Not quite as good as a custom tune with a complete tuner but much better than without any tuning.
So, no need to void your factory warranty with an FP3.
Bob

Old 08-01-2017, 04:15 PM
GFVIII
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
I have just a stage one, a measly 2000 worth of parts, and after a few attempts at getting my fm map straightened out I just couldn't get it good enough. So off to the dyno it went...best 350 bucks I've spent since that night I tijuana. Some guys love tinkering with their bikes forever. I like to know that the money I spent to get more performance is actually giving me my money's worth. I'm doing cams and heads over the winter and guess what??? It's going back to tuned again. Say whatever you want about its a waste of money but at least I know it's running just right, spend all that money and then wonder how much better it could be???who's being fooled??? Lol...not waving anything just my piece of mind
$350 in Tijuana?!? Prices have really gone up since the '80s when I was last there! lol

Quick Reply: M8 Tuners Pro and Cons