Sponsored by:

oil in air cleaner on 2017 streetglide

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 05:05 PM
djs
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil in air cleaner on 2017 streetglide

I am running oil level at half way mark on dipstick and i still get oil in air cleaner and oil level goes down because of this. I am going to bring bike into dealer for this and was wondering what they will do to to determine the cause and what would be the fixes. And if oil level is correct at half way mark why don't they make that the full mark. I feel you should be able to keep oil at full mark and no problem with oil in air cleaner. Thanks

Old 07-30-2017, 06:15 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,364 Likes on 4,775 Posts

Originally Posted by djs
And if oil level is correct at half way mark why don't they make that the full mark. I feel you should be able to keep oil at full mark and no problem with oil in air cleaner. Thanks
first Harley?..wish there was an easy answer..those breather bolts are designed to spew into the AC..more so in Summer and riding hard..working as designed..unfortunately

Old 07-30-2017, 06:53 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,527 Posts

Same here, it's frustrating because I really can't tell if it's dropping from filter onto the motor or if the tappet cover is leaking, either way it's sucks after a ride and I have to come home and look at oil running down the motor of my 25k bike!

Old 07-30-2017, 07:02 PM
Michaelpost
Advanced
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm just going to throw this out here, may help, may not. My bike when new just puked oil out of the breather. 500 mile service I pointed it out, cleaned the filter and told me that maybe I was lugging the engine, to always stay above 2500 rpm. What? Flat out told them that I run it hard right from the start so if it does break it'll be on their dime.

Anyway 100 miles later, same thing. Oil spewing out of the AC. Took the filter out to clean it and noticed that the molded rubber breather tube was sort of kinked. It is very easy to kink the tube installing it! I made sure it was routed through the filter correctly when I put it back together. Not a problem since! Fill it right to the top, lug it, redline it, nothing.

So, coincidence? Maybe, maybe not. I'm just throwing ideas at you.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:15 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,527 Posts

On my HD high flow it does not run through the filter, connects to the back plate then drops into the intake opening, everything is inside of the filter, no way to kink the tubes on my kit, or I don't see how you could anyway. Thanks for the suggestioin and input though.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:23 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,072 Likes on 3,629 Posts

Originally Posted by djs
I am running oil level at half way mark on dipstick and i still get oil in air cleaner and oil level goes down because of this. I am going to bring bike into dealer for this and was wondering what they will do to to determine the cause and what would be the fixes. And if oil level is correct at half way mark why don't they make that the full mark. I feel you should be able to keep oil at full mark and no problem with oil in air cleaner. Thanks
I got sick of oil coming out of my Road Kings airbox . Some guys will run the breather to the ground rather than the way HD does it. I went old school and took an empty 6.4 oz container I had and fashioned a catch for the oil. It fits snug in the airbox. Rode 120 miles today and no mess.

The following users liked this post:
jerseyjeff62 (08-10-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 08:03 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,364 Likes on 4,775 Posts

Originally Posted by stixvrad
I got sick of oil coming out of my Road Kings airbox . Some guys will run the breather to the ground rather than the way HD does it. I went old school and took an empty 6.4 oz container I had and fashioned a catch for the oil. It fits snug in the airbox. Rode 120 miles today and no mess.

great idea..would poking some holes in the top part of the container for ventilation be a good idea? curious to how quickly it typically fills up..and this is probably going to sound like a real stretch..but think part of the airbox design and effectiveness is to have the incoming charge of air swirl around and that blocks some of the effect...would think that little restrictive air filter element needs all the help it can get..just a thought

Last edited by mjwebb; 07-30-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:05 PM
torchmaster
Road Warrior
Received 156 Likes on 99 Posts

Was wondering why that airbox is so big!

The following users liked this post:
stixvrad (07-30-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 08:05 PM
blacktop37
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by stixvrad

is that easy to reverse if you go in for warranty issues? I like the stealth look.If the end of the hose gets into oil does it matter? is the air mist in and out or just out? Thanks for your advise

Old 07-30-2017, 08:12 PM
Michaelpost
Advanced
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
On my HD high flow it does not run through the filter, connects to the back plate then drops into the intake opening, everything is inside of the filter, no way to kink the tubes on my kit, or I don't see how you could anyway. Thanks for the suggestioin and input though.
No problem. Like I said it doesn't hurt to share experiences. Good luck figuring it out.

Quick Reply: oil in air cleaner on 2017 streetglide